Question to public school advocates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:28:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Question to public school advocates
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Would you be ok with abolishing public schools and just making welfare payouts bigger to include the cost of education?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Question to public school advocates  (Read 2590 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 25, 2008, 05:55:28 PM »

Would you be ok with abolishing public schools and just making welfare payouts bigger to include the cost of education?
Possibly including some compulsory attendance provision.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 06:15:55 PM »

No.  There is no good reason to privatizing schools.  There are numerous reasons why uniform public schools are good. 

SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 06:18:38 PM »

While I am not a public school advocate, I would not want welfare handouts period, regardless of whether it is used to pay for school.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 06:28:35 PM »

No, lol.  Why don't we just stop public construction of roads and give everyone enough to pave their own?
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 08:56:15 PM »

I voted no but I might be open to some form of increased privatization perhaps leading to total privatization if accompanied by government curriculum requirements.  This kind of immediate elimination thinking is common to Libertarians which is one of the reasons their party is such a joke.  You can't just wake up one day and decide public schools should be completely replaced by private schools.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 08:59:27 PM »

If this happenned, half the people in America would "homeschool" (Watch tv all day) their kids and keep the money for more material crap.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 10:05:24 PM »

No.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 10:43:08 PM »

I think there is value in having an educated population.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 11:08:18 PM »

There definitely is, but the proposal made in the original post is not practical.  For starters, it creates a much larger wellfare state, and if we can't manage our Medicare and Social Security tax revenues and payments without driving those two programs bankrupt, just imagine how poorly welfare-funded education would go.  Secondly, if there aren't enough private schools in the area, how will this be an improvement?  You'll either end up with overcrowding or homeschooling.  And if a flood of new private schools pop up to meet demand, you now risk lower-quality education, placing you right back to where you are now.  So what was gained outside of increased taxes and bloated welfare spending?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 11:16:24 PM »

No.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 12:08:01 AM »

Our current system doesn't work as well as it should, so something half-baked and unproven will totally work!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 01:53:57 PM »

Would you be ok with abolishing public schools and just making welfare payouts bigger to include the cost of education?
Possibly including some compulsory attendance provision.
No. That looks too like Germany's health insurance scheme to me...
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 02:55:44 PM »

No. Public schools are good for society: it's good for people to know how to read and write, and probably essential in a modern society.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 03:58:14 PM »

Our current system doesn't work as well as it should, so something half-baked and unproven will totally work!
Funny, that's my exact sarcastic take on the current health care plans put forth by people on the left.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 04:37:03 PM »

No. Public schools are good for society: it's good for people to know how to read and write, and probably essential in a modern society.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 08:22:31 PM »

Funny, that's my exact sarcastic take on the current health care plans put forth by people on the left.
That doesn't make sense at all.  Wheras Bono's education plan involves massive decentralization, the left's health care plans (spc. Clinton's) involve consolidation and greater oversight.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 12:52:21 PM »

That doesn't make sense at all.  Wheras Bono's education plan involves massive decentralization, the left's health care plans (spc. Clinton's) involve consolidation and greater oversight.

A product of public education by chance?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 06:31:04 PM »

Where is all that implied in the previous statement?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 09:28:48 PM »

Where is all that implied in the previous statement?

You are comparing apples to oranges.

Socialized medicine has been tried and proven in many societies that are actually healthier and longer lived than us.

Privatized education with "vouchers" hasn't been tried or tested... nor should it be, lest we fail a generation of students in the process.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 11:11:36 PM »

You are comparing apples to oranges.

Socialized medicine has been tried and proven in many societies that are actually healthier and longer lived than us.
A.those countries populations live longer and healthier whether they have socialized medicine or not.
B.it's never been tried on the scale it would be in the US

You must be logged in to read this quote.
While it's never been done until the point that public schools are eliminated, the "regular" version of it has been put in place all over the world and a few places in the states. cite
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2008, 11:25:41 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2008, 11:28:09 PM by South Park Conservative »

No, lol.  Why don't we just stop public construction of roads and give everyone enough to pave their own?

What's wrong with the former? California has a privately-owned road.

By your reasoning, if the government had a monopoly on convenience stores, you would oppose abolishing the government's monopoly on stores because you couldn't fathom the private sector doing it.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2008, 06:34:15 AM »

Privatized education with "vouchers" hasn't been tried or tested... nor should it be, lest we fail a generation of students in the process.

As if the current public schools are doing a great job...
Anyway, Chile and Sweden have school vouchers.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2008, 06:43:54 AM »

A.those countries populations live longer and healthier whether they have socialized medicine or not.

How on earth could you establish that?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2008, 06:47:56 AM »

I don't think you can establish that they love longer and healthier because of public schools either.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2008, 07:21:39 AM »

I don't think you can establish that they love longer and healthier because of public schools either.

His statement doesn't say anything about public schools and nor does mine.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies