First C.E.S [draft] Recommendation: Banning of Write In Candidates (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:11:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  First C.E.S [draft] Recommendation: Banning of Write In Candidates (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: First C.E.S [draft] Recommendation: Banning of Write In Candidates  (Read 5065 times)
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: August 21, 2004, 12:33:08 PM »

The UAC candidate in District 1 missed the deadline by THIS much -- he should still be able to run.

However, I agree with you that voting along party lines is pretty bad this election -- of course, I voted for the UAC candidate in D1, but there are clearly a lot of questionable candidates this time around, who are extremely partisan and, in my opinion, don't add much to the forum or senate.

Personal grudges are another problem.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 02:46:50 PM »

I will propose a piece of legislation that would essentially:

*Allow forum members who miss the deadline to register as a write-in candidate. However, the deadline to register as a write-in will only be extended 36 hours past the original deadline.

*Anyone can write-in anyone on election day, but only those who are registered write-ins will have theirs counted. This still allows for "protest" votes.

*If any candidate drops out, whatever political party he is a member of will be given 24 hours to nominate another candidate in his place. This rule does not apply to Independent candidates.

Al, if you're interested, I can clean up this legislation a bit and introduce it in the next session of the Senate.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 02:50:46 PM »

If we put write-in votes on the ballot and have them registered, they aren't really write-in candidates anymore. I think registering as a write-in candidate defeats the purpose of being a write-in candidate.

They would still be write-ins, their names would just not be on the ballot.

In our current system, it's too easy for a person 1 day in advance of an election to declare himself a write-in candidate, then win easily, without doing any campaigning or anything. The point of the fun in running for fantasy office is campaigning.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 01:32:21 AM »

Well thank you Ernest, for doing our job for us Wink

I'd like to collaborate with you a little bit on this bill, and I will proudly be a sponsor for it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies