First C.E.S [draft] Recommendation: Banning of Write In Candidates (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:53:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  First C.E.S [draft] Recommendation: Banning of Write In Candidates (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: First C.E.S [draft] Recommendation: Banning of Write In Candidates  (Read 5081 times)
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« on: August 21, 2004, 01:09:56 PM »

How about voters may only list for one write-in candidate. That would prevent voters from doing what Hughento did, which, while technically legal, definitly contained personal grudges.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 02:36:37 PM »

Since when can people cannot vote based on personal grudges? Tongue

How about voters may only list for one write-in candidate. That would prevent voters from doing what Hughento did, which, while technically legal, definitly contained personal grudges.

They can. I am split on this issue. I will probably be against it, since it is an infringment on voters rights.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 02:49:07 PM »

If we put write-in votes on the ballot and have them registered, they aren't really write-in candidates anymore. I think registering as a write-in candidate defeats the purpose of being a write-in candidate.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 02:56:25 PM »

If we put write-in votes on the ballot and have them registered, they aren't really write-in candidates anymore. I think registering as a write-in candidate defeats the purpose of being a write-in candidate.

They would still be write-ins, their names would just not be on the ballot.

In our current system, it's too easy for a person 1 day in advance of an election to declare himself a write-in candidate, then win easily, without doing any campaigning or anything. The point of the fun in running for fantasy office is campaigning.

True. Offical write-in candidates should have a time limit to announce their write-in candidacies.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004, 05:40:48 PM »

In Tennessee, you have to register to be a write-in candidate  within a number of days before the election but well after the regular filing deadline.  No signatures are required, a form just has to be filled out by the candidate.

Our goal is not to model the USA, it is to be better than the USA.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 08:33:11 AM »

I ws thinking these exact things when I went to sleep this morning.

The same thing happened in D1.  You had a left candidate (Handzus), a center candidate (Andrew), and a right candidate (Phil).  Phils voters did not put down ssecond preferences.  If they had, we would most likely have Andrew in the Senate now.  Because they did not, they are stuck with Handzus.

So thats two elections where the Republicans inadvertently elected the furthest left candidate, by not listing second preferences.

So on second thought, why don't we keep everything how it is. At least until Republicans wake up and start using Preferntial Voting.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 09:22:32 AM »

The same thing happened in D1.  You had a left candidate (Handzus), a center candidate (Andrew), and a right candidate (Phil).  Phils voters did not put down ssecond preferences.  If they had, we would most likely have Andrew in the Senate now.  Because they did not, they are stuck with Handzus.

So thats two elections where the Republicans inadvertently elected the furthest left candidate, by not listing second preferences.

So on second thought, why don't we keep everything how it is. At least until Republicans wake up and start using Preferntial Voting.

Sorry, but I know I won't be using it. I'm not going to be against a system when I am hurt by it and be for it when it helps me. No hypocrites here, Akno.

I am all for Preferential Voting. In the 3 elections I have voted in, I have used it all three times, whether it hurts or helps. In a 3-way race, it can really help. If you had instructed your voters to place Andrew second instead of placing nobody second, you'd have a UAC Senator and not a AFIP one.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2004, 09:28:17 AM »

Sorry, but I know I won't be using it. I'm not going to be against a system when I am hurt by it and be for it when it helps me. No hypocrites here, Akno.

I am all for Preferential Voting. In the 3 elections I have voted in, I have used it all three times, whether it hurts or helps. In a 3-way race, it can really help. If you had instructed your voters to place Andrew second instead of placing nobody second, you'd have a UAC Senator and not a AFIP one.

And what don't you understand? I don't like preferential voting. I am not going to speak against it when it hurts me and speak for it when it helps me, even if it meant a UAC Senator over and AFIP Senator. I'm not a hypocrite. My opinion on this will not change.

Fine, have it your way. But just don't complain when you are stuck with left-wingers to represent you. I'm not a hypocrite. When have I been against Preferential Voting.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies