Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2014, 04:57:02 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2008 Elections
| | |-+  Will Obama be a better President than Bush?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Poll
Question: Will Obama be a better President than Bush?
Yes   -96 (78.7%)
No   -26 (21.3%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 122

Author Topic: Will Obama be a better President than Bush?  (Read 21430 times)
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2010, 08:55:25 pm »
Ignore

Iran war

Ahahahahaha Just HOW HIGH do you EVEN have to BE just to THINK something like that.......
Adam Mendez-Flynn-Glazowski-Chanut-Harper-Zhang-Rothman-Wald
The Obamanation
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2010, 09:43:31 pm »
Ignore

Yes (normal)

I imagine hyphenation, for both spouses, as a sort of custom would very quickly make us all sound like a bunch of bizarrely named English aristocrats. If Peter Flynn marries Beatrice Mendez and has a kid named Anthony, who in turn marries Alice Glazowski-Chanut, their kid would be named Colin Mendez-Flynn-Glazowski-Chanut, who would then marry Beth Harper-Zhang-Rothman-Wald, and their kid would be named...
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
YaBB God
Czech Republic

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2010, 10:02:24 pm »
Ignore

Only an absurd right-wing hack would say that Obama has been worse than Bush TBH. I mean, Bush made some good decisions - TARP, arguably Iraq if that's your thing - but overall his Presidency was such a mess it will likely not be matched for decades.

I'm glad to know you consider me an absurd right-wing hack, then. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 10:05:51 pm by Mideast Assemblyman True Conservative »Logged

Clearly the solution is to privatize presidential elections.

So, in less than four years, get excited for the 2016 MetLife Financial U Pick The Prez Extravaganza. If you tweet a picture of your completed ballot with the hashtag #ivoted, you could win a trip for two to the inauguration or an iTunes gift card.
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2010, 08:37:43 pm »
Ignore

Only an absurd right-wing hack would say that Obama has been worse than Bush TBH. I mean, Bush made some good decisions - TARP, arguably Iraq if that's your thing - but overall his Presidency was such a mess it will likely not be matched for decades.

I'm glad to know you consider me an absurd right-wing hack, then. Roll Eyes

Well, you are.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
President Mitt
Giovanni
YaBB God
Samoa

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2010, 08:46:01 pm »
Ignore

One good thing nobody has really recognized is that Bush imposed even harsher and more ridiculous conditions on Cuba and Obama withdrew some of those. I suppose though that the most commendable thing he's done is not decide to bomb Iran. Let's hope it stays like that.

I mean, Bush made some good decisions - TARP, arguably Iraq

Neither of those decisions were good. Both were awful.

[This space is available for purchase]
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2010, 02:37:02 am »
Ignore

Unimpressive, but still better (which is not very hard).
oakvale
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2010, 10:31:43 am »
Ignore

I'd just like to clarify that I don't necessarily consider the Iraq war to be an example of a good decision - although I don't think it's as clear cut as many on the "left" seem to think - only that some people would.

Eraserhead
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2010, 01:52:41 am »
Ignore

Iraq was and is a deranged and evil misadventure.

As expected the wop won.

Eraserhead's Original Update: Open For Business 24/7
Odysseus
Scifiguy
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2010, 04:52:10 am »
Ignore

He is a mildly disappointing President so far, so yeah, he's about a trillion times better than Bush was. 
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2010, 04:26:32 pm »
Ignore

He is a mildly disappointing President so far, so yeah, he's about a trillion times better than Bush was. 

OC
olawakandi
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2010, 08:32:01 am »
Ignore

He was always an independent more moderate president and has disappointed progressives. But you can say that gets him more votes over Bush.
pbrower2a
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2013, 10:28:58 pm »
Ignore

Four years later we get this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_Presidents_of_the_United_States

Warning -- this is a Wikipedia article, and it will not go unchanged. Events, better or worse between now and January 20, 2017, will shape the image of this President. It is not professional, but it seems neutral enough. 

My take:

So far he is probably above average. He obviously can't compare to George Washington for defining the Presidency; any comparison to Lincoln or FDR requires a crisis as severe as World War II or the Civil War, neither of which is likely to happen. He will likely get much credit for adept stewardship of the economy because an economic meltdown that began to look like the start of the Great Depression ended in the equivalent of the spring of 1931 instead of the autumn of 1932. He has nation-changing legislation to his credit -- Obamacare -- like it or not. Sure it could be repealed, but it had better have a satisfactory replacement attached because he will veto anything that is not an improvement. Big reforms are always subject to subsequent reforms. He disposed of the most dangerous terrorist in American history.

Dubya, in contrast, is recognized as the worst President of at the least the twentieth century except for Warren G. Harding. Dubya gets the rap for two wars, one badly bungled and one that should have never happened but would not have happened except for his dishonesty -- and for a speculative boom that went awry with the potential of starting another Great Depression. Dubya may outrank Warren G. Harding because the Teapot Dome Scandal was the cornerstone of the short Harding Administration. Dubya had Enron, to which he had stronger and more personal ties.     

Barack Obama has established what he is as President. One of his arch-rivals (Karl Rove) acknowledges that President Obama is cautious.  After Dubya, that is quite a necessary change. He is a stickler for protocol and precedent; he collaborates closely with intelligence agencies (contrast Jimmy Carter). He has run a squeaky-clean administration.

Your political compass

Economic Left/Right: -7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.49
○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2013, 10:32:10 pm »
Ignore

Well, he exceeded that incredibly low bar, but he has been a massive disappointment.
A.G. Snowstalker
Snowstalker
YaBB God
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -8.45, S: -4.26

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2013, 03:38:55 pm »
Ignore

Well, he exceeded that incredibly low bar, but he has been a massive disappointment.

Even with my disappointment with Obama at times, he's still probably the best president since Johnson.

lolbaddecision
Liberty Republican
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2013, 01:27:43 pm »
Ignore

Obama is the worst president of the second decade of the 21st century. 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 02:54:37 pm by Liberty Republican »Logged
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
YaBB God
Mexico

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2013, 10:07:31 pm »
Ignore

Even with my disappointment with Obama at times, he's still probably the best president since Johnson.

Bernie would probably win Vermont if Obama were deemed to have more than 272 evs in the vag.
Jo March Bhaer
Oldiesfreak1854
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2013, 09:11:12 am »
Ignore

I think it's much too early to even rate President Bush's performance.  Remember that most historians are overwhelmingly liberal, and so putting Bush among the ten worst presidents is clearly politically motivated.  I would probably Bush somewhere in the middle, and Obama just slightly lower.

Quote from: Dwight D. Eisenhower
There is nothing wrong with America that the faith, love of freedom, intelligence, and energy of her citizens cannot cure.

coyolxauhqui
a Person
YaBB God
Costa Rica

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2013, 12:24:43 pm »
Ignore

Obama is the worst president of the second decade of the 20th century. 
That would be good ol' William Howard Taft, actually.

pbrower2a
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2013, 03:08:53 pm »
Ignore

Eisenhower, so far -- no scandals, end of a nasty war going nowhere, ACA is probably on the scale of the Interstate Highway System. LBJ gets culpability for mismanaging the War in Vietnam. 

Your political compass

Economic Left/Right: -7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.49
Paul Kemp
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2013, 09:35:56 am »
Ignore

I think it's much too early to even rate President Bush's performance.  Remember that most historians are overwhelmingly liberal, and so putting Bush among the ten worst presidents is clearly politically motivated.  I would probably Bush somewhere in the middle, and Obama just slightly lower.

Given that a lot of historians rank Reagan high, somehow I don't think their politics is the deciding factor.

MATTROSE94
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.65

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2013, 12:10:27 pm »
Ignore

Given that a lot of historians rank Reagan high, somehow I don't think their politics is the deciding factor.
I agree. My history teacher last semester was fairly liberal, but did feel that Reagan was a good president overall.

Term limits is used by those, who are bitter because they can't beat someone at the ballot box.

Like I said 1960 was a f***ing crazy election year. It's like everyone woke up and wondered "who the hell should I vote for?"
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout