Mahoney: Gore could end up being nominee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:37:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Mahoney: Gore could end up being nominee
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Mahoney: Gore could end up being nominee  (Read 2749 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 25, 2008, 11:52:15 PM »

Florida Rep. Tim Mahoney says Gore could emerge in a deadlocked convention as a compromise candidate that would be acceptable to the party... but really, what the f@ck does Tim Mahoney know?

The whole article is pretty interesting, provides some neat behind-the-scenes superdelegate stuff:
http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/mar/24/mark-tomasik-dont-discount-gore-led-ticket/
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 12:05:43 AM »

Am I the only one who thinks this won't even get to the convention? My guess is that after the last primaries in early June, the superdelegates will rally together behind a nominee and give him/her enough total delegates to win the nomination

I wanted Al Gore to run, he didn't, and he missed his chance. He hasn't spent anytime on the campaign trail, and to give him the nomination "behind closed doors" after 2 other candidates have poured blood, sweat and tears into their campaigns for the last 2 years would be an injustice. One of the two Democratic candidates that are still in the running will win the nomination.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 12:06:46 AM »

Am I the only one who thinks this won't even get to the convention? My guess is that after the last primaries in early June, the superdelegates will rally together behind a nominee and give him/her enough total delegates to win the nomination

I wanted Al Gore to run, he didn't, and he missed his chance. He hasn't spent anytime on the campaign trail, and to give him the nomination "behind closed doors" after 2 other candidates have poured blood, sweat and tears into their campaigns for the last 2 years would be an injustice. One of the two Democratic candidates that are still in the running will win the nomination.

I agree with both paragraphs completely.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 10:06:57 AM »

Interesting to see that both camps are actively wooing the FL/MI superdelegates (who officially have no vote at the moment).
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 10:12:34 AM »

Why would Al Gore even want to run?  So he can get utterley humiliated (again), when he loses?

If the Democrats were smart, they would commit Gore to a mental institution somewhere and throw away the key so his raving lunacies don't embarass the DNC any further.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 12:25:18 PM »

Even if Gore by some miracle became the nominee, who gets the VP slot?  Barrack or Hillary?
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 12:34:56 PM »

Why would Al Gore even want to run?  So he can get utterley humiliated (again), when he loses?

If the Democrats were smart, they would commit Gore to a mental institution somewhere and throw away the key so his raving lunacies don't embarass the DNC any further.

I didn't realize winning the popular vote in 2000 was getting "utterly humilated".
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 12:37:06 PM »

Gore is so overrated, this whole talk of him somehow emerging from the shadows and taking the nomination is getting old really really fast.
The Hack Hater
AloneinOregon
Virgin Islands, British

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 12:39:28 PM »

Geez, I am so sick of people wanting to push Gore. If the guy wanted to run again, he would have announced in sometime in 2007. I've already said my piece on this, so I'll wait another couple of weeks before I get more vierolic about this
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 12:45:10 PM »

Even if Gore by some miracle became the nominee, who gets the VP slot?  Barrack or Hillary?
Neither.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 12:53:49 PM »

Am I the only one who thinks this won't even get to the convention? My guess is that after the last primaries in early June, the superdelegates will rally together behind a nominee and give him/her enough total delegates to win the nomination.

No, you're not the only one who thinks that.  I've been saying that for months.  In fact, it might not even wait until June.  After May 20th, all we've got left is PR, MT, and SD (assuming no Michigan revote).  If it's mathematically impossible for Clinton to catch up in either pledged delegates or popular vote by that time, the supers might start declaring en masse in late May, rather than wait for the last three meaningless contests that won't change anything.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 01:24:29 PM »

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 01:26:55 PM »

Am I the only one who thinks this won't even get to the convention? My guess is that after the last primaries in early June, the superdelegates will rally together behind a nominee and give him/her enough total delegates to win the nomination.

No, you're not the only one who thinks that.  I've been saying that for months.  In fact, it might not even wait until June.  After May 20th, all we've got left is PR, MT, and SD (assuming no Michigan revote).  If it's mathematically impossible for Clinton to catch up in either pledged delegates or popular vote by that time, the supers might start declaring en masse in late May, rather than wait for the last three meaningless contests that won't change anything.

^^^^^^^^
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 01:37:03 PM »

this is the big reason why gore hasnt endorsed anyone (in my opinion)
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 01:39:30 PM »

If we get to July and Barack (and Hillary too) is consistently 5 points down or more vs. McCain, something like that *could* be tempting to some Dems.  I hate to say it, but Gore would slaughter us.  (i.e. win Ohio, Pennsylvania, Colorado, etc.)
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 02:11:13 PM »

I patiently await the arrival of the Global Warming President. Tongue
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 02:16:01 PM »

As in, he wants this to happen?
Or in, he knows that if it happens, he's the one obvious choice?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 02:22:18 PM »

As in, he wants this to happen?
Or in, he knows that if it happens, he's the one obvious choice?

both.
Spaghetti Cat
Driedapples
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 03:10:01 PM »

If Mahoney wants to keep his seat, he should keep his fat mouth shut.  He is so arrogant and always has to open his mouth about everything, voicing his far left opinions.  Newsflash:  Your seat isn't meant for a far left rep, so pipe down or you're going to lose your seat.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 04:10:36 PM »

If Mahoney wants to keep his seat, he should keep his fat mouth shut.  He is so arrogant and always has to open his mouth about everything, voicing his far left opinions.  Newsflash:  Your seat isn't meant for a far left rep, so pipe down or you're going to lose your seat.

I don't see how Al Gore is anymore far left than Hillary or Barack. 
Spaghetti Cat
Driedapples
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2008, 04:40:41 PM »

Al Gore is farther left than Hillary, but I wasn't referring to that specific incident.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2008, 08:42:00 PM »

If you want to see a party collapse, nominating Gore at the convention behind closed doors will do just that.  You will have revolts from both the Killary and Obama camps, and their die-hards will stay home on election day.  And after losing twice as the democratic candidate in the general election, Gore and the party will feel as if their "third leg" has been surgically removed before the entire world.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2008, 08:44:09 PM »

I disagree MODU, I think Al Gore is the kind of candidate the major supporters of Clinton and Obama could get around, because of his history, ideology, and the overwhelming gravitas he has gained in the Democratic Party in recent years.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2008, 08:44:45 PM »

I disagree MODU, I think Al Gore is the kind of candidate the major supporters of Clinton and Obama could get around, because of his history, ideology, and the overwhelming gravitas he has gained in the Democratic Party in recent years.

Yeah i'll pass.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2008, 08:49:44 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2008, 08:51:18 PM by Tammany Hall Republican »

After voters in all primaries and caucuses have been heard from, with no candidate wrapping up the nomination, a majority of the super delegates will do their duty and endorse the candidate who has finished ahead in pledged delegates.    

The nominee will be known before the convention.

The super delegates and the Democratic party do not want to be tainted as "The Party Bosses In The Smoke Filled Room That Punched Democracy In The Face."

That would be a sure fire recipe for disaster in November.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies