TN-7: Congresswoman Blackburn gets unexpected Primary challenge from the right
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:53:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  TN-7: Congresswoman Blackburn gets unexpected Primary challenge from the right
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TN-7: Congresswoman Blackburn gets unexpected Primary challenge from the right  (Read 2702 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 26, 2008, 02:11:44 PM »

Congresswoman Marsha Blackburn (R) was caught by surprise this week when Shelby County Register and former State Senator Tom Leatherwood announced he will challenge the incumbent in the GOP primary. Leatherwood said that Republicans held majority control of Congress and squandered it through a loss of conservative values. "Incumbent Blackburn was part of the problem. I think Republicans lost control of the House and Senate because they became self-serving rather than being public servants. And I think the record shows that." Leatherwood went on to blast Blackburn for the "funneling of over $120,000 in campaign and PAC funds to her family. This is out of line. Over $46,000 of that was in 2004 when she did not have any primary or general election opposition." And then Leatherwood went on to hit Blackburn for taking at least 20 vacation trips paid for by special interest groups. This is going to be a nasty primary fight.

http://www.politics1.com/
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 02:14:21 PM »

From the right?  What part about her isn't conservative, exactly?
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 02:17:01 PM »

Leatherwood said that Republicans held majority control of Congress and squandered it through a loss of conservative values. "Incumbent Blackburn was part of the problem. I think Republicans lost control of the House and Senate because they became self-serving rather than being public servants. And I think the record shows that."
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 02:20:51 PM »

Leatherwood said that Republicans held majority control of Congress and squandered it through a loss of conservative values. "Incumbent Blackburn was part of the problem. I think Republicans lost control of the House and Senate because they became self-serving rather than being public servants. And I think the record shows that."

That appears to be longhand for "nothing."
Spaghetti Cat
Driedapples
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 02:26:34 PM »

Wtf?  Blackburn is one of the most conservative members of Congress.  This diptard doesn't stand a chance.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 02:48:10 PM »

It sounds as if Blackburn is under an ethical cloud and she has some shady dealings to be explored.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 11:26:30 PM »

Blackburn is very safe. Only about 1/3 of the district's population is here in Shelby County and even here he's not well-known.  The real primary election will be in TN-9.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 01:29:35 AM »

She has breasts.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 02:02:17 AM »

Blackburn is very safe. Only about 1/3 of the district's population is here in Shelby County and even here he's not well-known.  The real primary election will be in TN-9.

Huh?  Shelby County is around half of the district's population.  If he doesn't raise some serious cash he will still be at a big disadvantage though.

This diptard doesn't stand a chance.

I think I am going to stop making obscene statements about candidates in other parts of the country to avoid calling a fellow poster's close friends "diptards" Smiley
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 10:30:04 AM »
« Edited: March 27, 2008, 10:44:58 AM by memphis »

Huh?  Shelby County is around half of the district's population.

Population of Shelby County   (911,438)
Tennessee's pop/9                -(670,978)  Let's take TN-9, which is wholly in Shelby out
                                               -(30,000) Let's take out part of TN-8 (parts of Frayser and Millington)
This leaves about 210,000 in Shelby TN-7 or about 1/3 of a Congressional district.
It's basically just Germantown (40,000), Collierville (30,000), Cordova (50,000), Bartlett (40,000), and very low population areas like Arlington, Lakeland, and Eads. Don't let the big houses out there fool you. There aren't that many people Tongue
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 10:42:15 AM »

TN-9 has a population of 607,663 (down almost 30,000 since the census).

Black: +7,937
White: - 44,392

Shelby county has a population of 911,438 (up about 14,000 since the census).

Black: +32,527
White: -36,126
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 11:03:35 AM »
« Edited: March 27, 2008, 11:15:44 AM by Htmldon, voted most partisan member 3 years in a row! »

Huh?  Shelby County is around half of the district's population.

Population of Shelby County   (911,438)
Tennessee's pop/9                -(670,978)  Let's take TN-9, which is wholly in Shelby out
                                               -(30,000) Let's take out part of TN-8 (parts of Frayser and Millington)
This leaves about 210,000 in Shelby TN-7 or about 1/3 of a Congressional district.
It's basically just Germantown (40,000), Collierville (30,000), Cordova (50,000), Bartlett (40,000), and very low population areas like Arlington, Lakeland, and Eads. Don't let the big houses out there fool you. There aren't that many people Tongue

You are looking at census data, I'm looking at primary votes. (and using Al's data, I think there are closer to 260-270,000 residents of TN-7 in Shelby)

Shelby County was 44% of the electorate in the 2002 August Republican primary, 54.5% of the electorate in the 2004 primary, and 42.8% of the electorate in the 2006 primary.

2002 R Primary
Shelby: 40,876 (44% of district)
TN-7 Total: 92,868

2004 R Primary:
Shelby: 14,293 (55% of district)
TN-7 Total: 26,237

2006 R Primary:
Shelby: 27,996 (43% of district)
TN-7 Total: 65,378
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 12:16:07 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2008, 12:34:08 PM by memphis »

The growth numbers really don't favor Shelby County given that the fastest growing area in the state is the other side of her district in Williamson County. I also don't think that primary numbers in uncontested elections tell you a lot. My original comment and the ensuing discussion was about overall population.  While primary numbers from a contested election are probably more relavent to a primary election, it wasn't what we were talking about. I am also curious as to where you think all these people live. I've spelled out my estimates. Are there 70,000 people hiding behind a cow in Arlington?
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 12:38:53 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2008, 12:50:22 PM by Htmldon, voted most partisan member 3 years in a row! »

The growth numbers really don't favor Shelby County given that the fastest growing area in the state is the other side of her district in Williamson County. I also don't think that primary numbers in uncontested elections tell you a lot. My original comment and the ensuing discussion was about overall population.  While primary numbers from a contested election are probably more relavent to a primary election, it wasn't what we were talking about.

Then use the 2002 data where the election was heavily contested in all parts of the district.  There was also a GOP Senate race on the ballot at the 2006 election.  Wiliamson County ranges from 7.5% to 19% of the voters in those 3 elections, and people who just move in to an area usually aren't the most motivated primary voters.  Anyway, Collierville has been the first (and I think is now the second) fastest growing city in the state.

Are there 70,000 people hiding behind a cow in Arlington?

I live near Arlington, and yes there are.  Smiley   I don't know why we are arguing about this, I am just trying to share some data to clarify the facts of the situation.
Spaghetti Cat
Driedapples
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 05:05:25 PM »

She has breasts.
So you're suggesting that every Democratic congresswoman has a great body?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 06:08:31 PM »

She has breasts.
So you're suggesting that every Democratic congresswoman has a great body?

I don't think you could have misread his post worse if you tried.
Spaghetti Cat
Driedapples
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 07:13:21 PM »

Wow, I feel incredibly stupid.  Totally misread that, sorry.  Very long day.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2008, 10:36:55 AM »

and she is Black (Nikki Tinker). Does that mean it's all settled and she has the primary more or less sewn up? Or doesn't it (for it might not)?

Comment from Tennesseans welcome. Smiley
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2008, 12:03:36 PM »

Wow, she's kind of hot. I'd still vote for Cohen though.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 07:31:48 PM »

Hmmm, somehow this thread combined two threads. Blackburn in TN-7 is very safe, both in her primary and in the general. Cohen will have a challenging primary, though Tinker will not be his only opponent. Best case scenario for him, his opponents will split the black vote (as they did in 06) and he will win with 30 something percent.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/apr/03/tinker-3-others-file-run-against-cohen/
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2008, 09:19:00 AM »

Ah, so that list I saw was probably not updated since the filing deadline.

The House of Ford is running an independent campaign again, I see.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies