DoEA China Panel
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:06:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  DoEA China Panel
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DoEA China Panel  (Read 2192 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 26, 2008, 09:55:09 PM »

As I said when I was going through the confirmation process I was going to do this and so here we are. This panel will meet so we can discuss what should be out foreign policy for China. This panel will consist of the President, the VP, the Cabinet and the Senate.

There are many issues to discuss but I must say that there will not be full restrictions on China, no matter how much we all want it (like Saudi Arabia) but it is not feasable and in Atlasia's best interests.

To start it out here are some major (though not all) issues that we should discuss:

1. Human Rights Violations
2. Working Conditions
3. Trade
4. Product Safety
3. Tibet
4. Taiwan
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 06:13:36 PM »

May I make it clear at this juncture, that I hope this panel should not indirectly put pressure apon authorities, in particular the Atlasian Olympic Committee to boycott the upcoming games in Beijing.

I would not support any boycott or the violation of the independence and tradition of our sporting authorities.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 10:04:31 PM »

May I make it clear at this juncture, that I hope this panel should not indirectly put pressure apon authorities, in particular the Atlasian Olympic Committee to boycott the upcoming games in Beijing.

I would not support any boycott or the violation of the independence and tradition of our sporting authorities.

I agree completely, atheletes should not be penalized for the politics of their respective countries.

Also I am wondering, what is our current policy regarding Tibet? And would we want to consider taking any actions against China if we agree that Tibet deserves a larger voice in its governing (actions of course would be very limited because of our strong dependence on China economically)?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 06:51:00 AM »

France or some French press organization proposed a boycott of the opening ceremony only. I'd like to bring that up for discussion.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 10:16:18 AM »

The olympics should not be tainted by politics.

That said, they always are, whether there are boycotts or not. They are used as propoganda tools for the hosting country and various international titans of commerce.

Still, we should at least try to foster a spirit of international cooperation, acceptance and peace. I would firmly oppose an olympic boycott, including the opening ceremony.

Human Rights Violations: Obviously, not a good thing. Intolerable and worthy of a boycott. Boycott: 1, No boycott: 0

Working Conditions: Worse than oin our own country, and in many cases intolerable, but not unusual on a global sclae and certainly not on a historical scale. China is developing and its working conditions are those of a newly industrialised country. Certainly, they are better than those of the UK or Atlasia when we were undergoing the same process. Whilst we should encourage China to push for faster improvement in working rights and conditions, they are not worthy of a boycott. Boycott: 1, No Boycott: 1

Trade: Our economies are very much integrated. Whilst we could survive a seperation, it would not be in our interests to do so. We should argue for a revaluation of the yuan, of course, but there is no strong economic reason for a boycott, and many against one. Boycott: 1, No Boycott: 2

Product Safety: More Atlasians die from Atlasian-produced food than that of China; and in proportional terms Chinese goods are not significantly more dangerous than our own or that of other nations. We should be more vigilant ourselves in determining which products may enter our country, and by doing so we will encourage the Chinese, and governments of all other nations, to improve their product safety standards. Boycott: 1; No Boycott: 3.

Tibet: The People's Republic of China illegally invaded Tibet and continues to occupy it against the will of the people. It is flooding the province with people from other areas of China to change the demographics so that this will no longer be true. The way that the Tibetans have been treated is appalling, and worthy of condemnation. Boycott: 2; No Boycott: 3.

Taiwan: China is one nation. Regardless of which type of government we prefer, this should be the case. No recognition of Taiwan as an independent state, but a recognition of the political parties operating on the island as operating within China. No relevance to boycotting.

All in all, it seems a partial boycott would be appropriate, but not on trade. I suggest a ban on travel to the People's Republic of China for all non-governmental or familiar reasons.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 11:12:27 PM »

I'd like to get a lot more people to talk on this before I say anything or bring my opinions in. Besides that I just feel off the last two days.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 03:59:08 PM »

Planning any movements, Secretary?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 04:10:37 PM »

I would like the administration to strongly consider a boycott of the opening ceremony by the Atlasian government.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 04:13:23 PM »

Since Atlasia is not a major power like America, there's nothing wrong with pursuing an ethical foreign policy and treating China just like a minor dictatorship of similar cruelty.
The only thing I'd object to is if we'd withdraw official recognition from the PRC in favor of the ROC.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 12:40:58 AM »

Bumping this, I have been keeping an eye on it but there really has been no activity. The next Senate shall get a shot at it, if not the President and the DoEA shall move forward on its own.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 06:59:32 AM »

I would like the administration to strongly consider a boycott of the opening ceremony by the Atlasian government.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 10:11:57 PM »

Bumping this, I have been keeping an eye on it but there really has been no activity. The next Senate shall get a shot at it, if not the President and the DoEA shall move forward on its own.
There were questions raised, and ideas put forward, I personally was waiting for you to take care of what has so far been talked about before going any farther.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 04:55:09 PM »

There were questions raised, and ideas put forward, I personally was waiting for you to take care of what has so far been talked about before going any farther.

And yet most didn't comment on this.

I'm bumping this again to have some of the new Senators put their ideas forward and then we shall move forward together, or it nobody mentions anything, alone.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2008, 07:26:54 PM »

Taiwan:

What we've got right now is fine. However, we should respect the Taiwanese government in regards to whether there is a "one China" or not.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 02:24:59 AM »

On the matter of boycotting the 2008 Olympics, I do not feel that we should entirely boycott the Olympic Games but we should atleast strongly consider the option, put forth by former Senator Hashemite to boycott the Opening Ceremony to be held on August 8.

However, saying this, I believe we should also consider the option of allowing our athletes to compete if they wish. In short a similar response to what France, United Kingdom and Greece undertook in the 1980 Moscow Olympics.

Any other plans Mr. Secretary?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies