Is being popular in high-growth areas a problem for Republicans?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:22:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Is being popular in high-growth areas a problem for Republicans?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is being popular in high-growth areas a problem for Republicans?  (Read 1385 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 27, 2008, 12:58:01 PM »

We've all heard how proud the Republicans are to be so popular in fast growing areas.  However, I'm thinking this is really a drawback.  It isn't that the number of Republicans is growing. It's just that most of the people who move to newly developed areas are Republicans. However, districts are only re-apportioned for population every ten years. For the last few elections of each decade, Republicans (on average, not in every case) represent districts with many more people than the Dems, who are in urban districts that are losing population.  Thoughts?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 01:18:18 PM »

people move to exurbs, start attending megachurches, driving SUVs, and voting republican.

however, now that the real estate bust and the subprime crisis have put a brake on exurb development, the republicans will no longer be able to benefit from this trend.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 01:37:48 PM »

We've all heard how proud the Republicans are to be so popular in fast growing areas.  However, I'm thinking this is really a drawback.  It isn't that the number of Republicans is growing. It's just that most of the people who move to newly developed areas are Republicans. However, districts are only re-apportioned for population every ten years. For the last few elections of each decade, Republicans (on average, not in every case) represent districts with many more people than the Dems, who are in urban districts that are losing population.  Thoughts?

The factor's outweighed by Republican incumbents hanging on in inner-suburban districts even as their constituencies grow more and more Democratic. That's why it took until the early 2000s to see a realignment on Long Island, 2006 in the Philly suburbs and 2008 for districts in Illinois, Minnesota, Ohio.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 01:53:12 PM »

people move to exurbs, start attending megachurches, driving SUVs, and voting republican.

The same sort of rubbish was written of people moving to the suburbs in the '50's (I can even dig up a quote that looks rather like the one above). Guess what? It wasn't true then and isn't true now; very few people change their voting habits just because they've moved to a different sort of neighbourhood. If they vote Republican now, chances are that they were voting Republican back where they used to live.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 01:57:27 PM »

The same sort of rubbish was written of people moving to the suburbs in the '50's (I can even dig up a quote that looks rather like the one above). Guess what? It wasn't true then and isn't true now; very few people change their voting habits just because they've moved to a different sort of neighbourhood. If they vote Republican now, chances are that they were voting Republican back where they used to live.

Very true. Of course so many on this forum seem to think I'll randomly move to one and start voting Republican for some reason.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 02:08:49 PM »

Very true. Of course so many on this forum seem to think I'll randomly move to one and start voting Republican for some reason.

It's true. A bunch of us got together, and collectively came to the conclusion that we need to get you moving into one ASAP, and get another blue avatar on the forum. BBTD!!11!1
SomeLawStudent
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 09:08:10 PM »

I don't think they're winning high-growth areas because more republicans are moving in.  They're winning them because high-growth areas tend to be cheaper Cost of Living Wise and people in general are moving in.  Also, in Texas, Florida, California, a lot of the high-growth areas are in Republican districts but most of the people moving in are hispanics.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 10:26:14 PM »

I don't think they're winning high-growth areas because more republicans are moving in.  They're winning them because high-growth areas tend to be cheaper Cost of Living Wise and people in general are moving in.  Also, in Texas, Florida, California, a lot of the high-growth areas are in Republican districts but most of the people moving in are hispanics.

High growth areas, even places like Texas and Florida, are not very Hispanic for their region. I'm talking about places like Denton, Collin, Fort Bend, Montgomery, Williamson Counties, TX and Pasco, Lake, and St. John's Counties, FL. All these counties are awash in new Republicans, moving in by the tens of thousands. They are all moving away from cities, which are seeing new Hispanics.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 12:54:54 AM »

High growth areas, even places like Texas and Florida, are not very Hispanic for their region. I'm talking about places like Denton, Collin, Fort Bend, Montgomery, Williamson Counties, TX and Pasco, Lake, and St. John's Counties, FL. All these counties are awash in new Republicans, moving in by the tens of thousands. They are all moving away from cities, which are seeing new Hispanics.

Plus, the Hispanic growth is from immigrants who can't/don't vote.
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 04:26:46 AM »

Around Sacramento and Stockton, new construction means less agricultural land, which would mean displacement of Hispanics living and working on the farms or dairies.  Plenty of (higher-income) Hispanics have been moving in, but it's a wave of immigration from the Bay Area, so it's a very diverse population in general.

But it is a matter of lifestyle:  For a young Bay Area family looking for an affordable house in a good school district, Elk Grove looks much better than most places around the Bay.  Conversely, younger, leftier types like SF better.

Both the Central Valley and places like Riverside and San Bernardino Counties have been growing rapidly and trending Republican.  That's not a problem for the Republicans here; it could make the state competitive again.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 10:12:35 AM »

Both the Central Valley and places like Riverside and San Bernardino Counties have been growing rapidly and trending Republican.  That's not a problem for the Republicans here; it could make the state competitive again.

I don't think so. I see it as, more or less, a shuffling of the same population. When the Republicans leave for the Valley, it just means that the coast is that much more Democratic.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 02:39:48 PM »

This article highlights the problems of Republican reps with high-growth, high-default districts and the conflicting pressures from constituents and the party leadership.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/30/washington/30bailout.html?hp
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies