Rudy Would Run For Governor If Patterson Forced To Step Down
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:32:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Rudy Would Run For Governor If Patterson Forced To Step Down
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rudy Would Run For Governor If Patterson Forced To Step Down  (Read 5261 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 28, 2008, 09:35:23 PM »

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani would be likely to run for Governor of New York state in a special election if Governor David Patterson is forced to step down.

Thoughts?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 09:37:14 PM »

Forced to step down over what?

Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 10:05:04 PM »

No Republican can win a statewide race in New York these days.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 10:17:55 PM »

I'd love to see him try ... maybe he can run for the White House in 2012 if he wins NY Gov. Doubt he could win unless the Spitzer thing hurt the Dems in some way.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 10:24:56 PM »

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 10:47:06 PM »

Here is the story

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Top_News/2008/03/28/giuliani_reported_mulling_run_for_governor/9643/
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 10:58:13 PM »

Yeah, Hannity was fantasizing over this today. He'd have a shot but I still think the Dem (Suozzi, Schumer, Cuomo) would be favored.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 11:04:32 PM »

I don't see Patterson stepping down, but even if he does and we have a Special Election Rudy wouldn't win.  Suozzi, Schumer and Cuomo would be the most likely candidates and Rudy wouldn't beat any of them.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 11:23:56 PM »

I don't see Patterson stepping down, but even if he does and we have a Special Election Rudy wouldn't win.  Suozzi, Schumer and Cuomo would be the most likely candidates and Rudy wouldn't beat any of them.

But if there is any Republican that could win, would that not be Rudy?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 12:25:50 AM »

I'd love to see him try ... maybe he can run for the White House in 2012 if he wins NY Gov. Doubt he could win unless the Spitzer thing hurt the Dems in some way.

hopefully he'd get more than 1 delegate.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 12:32:48 AM »

But if there is any Republican that could win, would that not be Rudy?
Well if by that you mean who would have the best chance at losing by the least, than the answer is yes now that Bloomberg is not a Republican anymore (which he never really was anyway)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 08:20:46 AM »

Rudy could run and I think he could win statewide.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 11:50:43 AM »

no, he couldn't.  his popularity in NY sank into the toilet during the 2008 campaign and at the end he was trailing McCain here by double-digits.  (and go look at the GE matchups where he gets slaughtered)   now obviously the Governorship is a different animal, but it'd still be very hard for him to win.  Paterson being black sorta helps him nip at the suburbs and at the fringes of the NY Dem coalition, but probably the best he could do is lose by 8-10% so long as Paterson remains reasonably popular.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 03:32:46 PM »

no, he couldn't.  his popularity in NY sank into the toilet during the 2008 campaign and at the end he was trailing McCain here by double-digits.  (and go look at the GE matchups where he gets slaughtered)   now obviously the Governorship is a different animal, but it'd still be very hard for him to win.  Paterson being black sorta helps him nip at the suburbs and at the fringes of the NY Dem coalition, but probably the best he could do is lose by 8-10% so long as Paterson remains reasonably popular.

As a Democrat, I hope you're right Tweed. 

But if the latest allegations against Patterson prove substantial, Rudy may be the GOP's quickest route back to the Governors' Mansion.  Of course, Rudy does have a few scandals of his own, doesn't he?
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 06:25:44 PM »

Indeed, Giuliani probably pushed too far right in his presidential campaign to win in New York now.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 09:53:26 PM »

As a Democrat, I hope you're right Tweed. 

But if the latest allegations against Patterson prove substantial, Rudy may be the GOP's quickest route back to the Governors' Mansion.  Of course, Rudy does have a few scandals of his own, doesn't he?

The Patterson thing really seems over no one seems to care, regardless you would have one guy who cheated vs another guy who cheated.  If Patterson didn't run for a 2nd term you would either have Schumer, Cuomo or Suozzi running for the Dems.  for a Republican to win statewide in NY they have to win LI & Westchester and likely by more than just a few points.   Cuomo is the one who he would have the best chance at in the suburbs and would still lose, schumer is extremely popular in the suburbs and there is no way in hell Rudy could touch Suozzi on Long Island.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 10:51:52 PM »

He'll win something like 9.11% of the vote.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 06:46:40 PM »

He'll win something like 9.11% of the vote.

LOL.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2008, 07:29:27 PM »

If Patterson is forced to step down/not run in 2010 because of his personal problems, I can't see Rudy as being able to rise above his either.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies