Islam surpasses Roman Catholicism as world's largest religion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:12:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Islam surpasses Roman Catholicism as world's largest religion
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Islam surpasses Roman Catholicism as world's largest religion  (Read 8423 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 30, 2008, 03:28:04 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080330/ap_on_re_eu/vatican_muslims

Disappointing. I loved being the biggest religion in the world.  Sad
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 03:40:04 PM »

WTF?

Roman Catholicism is a religion?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 04:11:02 PM »

Excuse me?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 04:21:35 PM »

Phil will you just calm down Tongue

Xahar is correct; Catholicsm is a branch of Christianity. It is not a stand alone religion. It is wrong for you to assume it is (and you're doing a disservice to non-Catholic Christians) . It is merely the largest church of the Christian faith.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 04:24:14 PM »

Xahar is correct; Catholicsm is a branch of Christianity. It is not a stand alone religion. It is wrong for you to assume it is.

Yes, it's a branch of Christianity but it is also a single religion with it's own doctrines, leadership, etc.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 04:25:43 PM »

No, it's a Christian denomination. If you say Catholicism is a religion you are saying Catholics aren't Christian.

Anyway this is a rather pointless comparison, Christianity is still the world's largest religion, and Catholicism still the world's largest denomination as I assume it's still larger than Sunni Islam.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 04:26:39 PM »

Xahar is correct; Catholicsm is a branch of Christianity. It is not a stand alone religion. It is wrong for you to assume it is.

Yes, it's a branch of Christianity but it is also a single religion with it's own doctrines, leadership, etc.

Er...no it's not Phil
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 04:33:08 PM »

Er...no it's not Phil

Er...then argue with the countless people who keep the data and refer to Roman Catholicism as the "largest single religion."

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 04:38:42 PM »

Er...then argue with the countless people who keep the data and refer to Roman Catholicism as the "largest single religion."

So your saying Catholicsm is a religion. Is Anglicanism a religion? Is Presbyterianism a religion?  No all three are part of the one bloody religion; Christianity, Phil.

As I've said before talking about Catholicism is a stand alone religion does a disservice to non-Catholic Christians who understand that they are part of a wide and varied faith.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 04:43:25 PM »

So your saying Catholicsm is a religion. Is Anglicanism a religion? Is Presbyterianism a religion?  No all three are part of the one bloody religion; Christianity, Phil.

As I've said before talking about Catholicism is a stand alone religion does a disservice to non-Catholic Christians who understand that they are part of a wide and varied faith.

Ok, you ignored how countless people disagree with you but whatever.

Yes, I believe Anglicanism, Presbyterianism, etc. are religions that are part of a larger faith community and the umbrella religion of Christianity.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 04:46:08 PM »

Oh, this is Sunni and Shia against Catholicism. So it's a stupid measure. Catholicism is still the world's largest religious denomination, outnumbering Sunnis about 1.1 billion to 900 million (last I saw), or else Christianity is the world's largest religion, outnumbering Islam about 2.3 billion to 1.1 billion.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 04:50:18 PM »

Oh, this is Sunni and Shia against Catholicism. So it's a stupid measure. Catholicism is still the world's largest religious denomination, outnumbering Sunnis about 1.1 billion to 900 million (last I saw), or else Christianity is the world's largest religion, outnumbering Islam about 2.3 billion to 1.1 billion.

Yeah, exactly what I said.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 04:50:27 PM »

Yes, I believe Anglicanism, Presbyterianism, etc. are religions that are part of a larger faith community and the umbrella religion of Christianity.

So they are religions that are part of another religion? What!?! They're denominations Phil
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 04:52:59 PM »

Yeah, exactly what I said.

I didn't notice that. Good news.

So they are religions that are part of another religion? What!?! They're denominations Phil

Then explain to me why these denominations are analyzed as "single religions" for recording purposes.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 04:55:39 PM »

Then explain to me why these denominations are analyzed as "single religions" for recording purposes.

You answered your own question - for recording purposes only. In the same way the UK Census and the police have different ethnicity and religious labels. For recording purposes.

Catholicism is church within the Christian religion. Simple as that.

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2008, 04:58:35 PM »

It's the Catholic Church. It has a very Eurocentric Weltanschauung. It analyzes Christian denominations as religions but not Muslim deominations because Christianity is "important" enough to justify it while Islam is not.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 05:01:17 PM »

You answered your own question - for recording purposes only.

Why refer to it as a religion then?

I consider my Catholic church to be a religion with it's own beliefs, leadership, etc. within the larger faith of Christianity. Just because I consider myself Catholic doesn't mean I don't consider myself part of the larger Christian faith.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 05:03:29 PM »

I consider my Catholic church to be a religion with it's own beliefs, leadership, etc. within the larger faith of Christianity. Just because I consider myself Catholic doesn't mean I don't consider myself part of the larger Christian faith.

So you are differentiating between two types of religion, which we can call the "greater religion" (Christianity), and the "lesser religion" (Catholicism). That makes sense, I guess. But shouldn't Islam be compared to the greater religion, rather than the lesser religion?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2008, 05:04:20 PM »

A religoius argument turning into a semantics argument?  NEVER!
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2008, 05:06:25 PM »

So you are differentiating between two types of religion, which we can call the "greater religion" (Christianity), and the "lesser religion" (Catholicism). That makes sense, I guess. But shouldn't Islam be compared to the greater religion, rather than the lesser religion?

Good point. Im assuming your talking about the Abrahamic faiths as a whole?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2008, 05:08:04 PM »

I really don't care what it is being compared to.

A religoius argument turning into a semantics argument?  NEVER!

A libertarian laughing at the silly religious animals? NEVER!
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2008, 05:09:59 PM »

What? You seem to be comparing it to Islam, which is apples and oranges.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2008, 05:16:09 PM »

What? You seem to be comparing it to Islam, which is apples and oranges.

Comparing what to Islam? The argument here has been about whether or not Catholicism is a "religion".
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2008, 05:22:18 PM »

This would be more news-worthy if it had read instead, 'Islam surpasses Christianity as World's Largest Religion'. 
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2008, 05:32:21 PM »

Yeah, you can't compare the Catholic Church to the Religion of Islam.  They are totally different levels. Catholicism is a denomination while Islam is a religion. Then again, one could argue that the biggest religion is the religion of Jehovah, which has 3.4 billion (50% of the population world-wide). The next biggest would probably be Confucianism, followed by Buddhism and Hinduism. With Judaism, that's 5.815 billion people. That leaves the next billion as Seculars and Pegans, which probably are about 500 million a peice. 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies