Islam surpasses Roman Catholicism as world's largest religion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:16:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Islam surpasses Roman Catholicism as world's largest religion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Islam surpasses Roman Catholicism as world's largest religion  (Read 8420 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2008, 05:33:58 PM »

A religoius argument turning into a semantics argument?  NEVER!

A libertarian laughing at the silly religious animals? NEVER!
Touché! Smiley
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2008, 05:43:24 PM »

Yeah, you can't compare the Catholic Church to the Religion of Islam.  They are totally different levels. Catholicism is a denomination while Islam is a religion. Then again, one could argue that the biggest religion is the religion of Jehovah, which has 3.4 billion (50% of the population world-wide). The next biggest would probably be Confucianism, followed by Buddhism and Hinduism. With Judaism, that's 5.815 billion people. That leaves the next billion as Seculars and Pegans, which probably are about 500 million a peice. 

Better numbers:

Which breaks down to:

Abrahamic: 53.5%
Vedic: 19.7%
Irreligious: 14.3%
Far Eastern: 6.5%
Tribal religions/Animists: 4.0%
New religious movements: 2.0%
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2008, 05:59:42 PM »

What religions are included as Vedic here? I thought the Vedic stuff were Hindu but I'm guessing Buddhism is thrown in too in this case?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2008, 06:00:01 PM »

You neglected to include the Bahá'í, so make that 53.6%.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2008, 07:49:59 PM »

What religions are included as Vedic here? I thought the Vedic stuff were Hindu but I'm guessing Buddhism is thrown in too in this case?

I included Buddhists in Vedic because much of Buddhist thought is derived from ideas originally found in the Vedas and Hinduism, and the two are as similar as Christianity or Islam is to Judaism. Jains are also included in Vedic, as are Sikhs. The latter is controversial; they could go as well into Abrahamic and fit poorly in either.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2008, 08:14:20 PM »

So Sunnis, Shi'ites, Sufis, and (I'd assume) splinter groups like the Druze or even the Bahai are all lumped together for this?  All compared against Roman Catholicism alone?  And Catholicism is still competitive?  Phil, your people have nothing to complain about!
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2008, 08:23:30 PM »

Yeah, you can't compare the Catholic Church to the Religion of Islam.  They are totally different levels. Catholicism is a denomination while Islam is a religion. Then again, one could argue that the biggest religion is the religion of Jehovah, which has 3.4 billion (50% of the population world-wide). The next biggest would probably be Confucianism, followed by Buddhism and Hinduism. With Judaism, that's 5.815 billion people. That leaves the next billion as Seculars and Pegans, which probably are about 500 million a peice. 

After the century of KMT and CCP rule, especially after the Glorious Revolution, Confucius has been pretty throughly stamped out in China...There hasn't been a Son of Heaven for a century!

Besides...Confucius' teachings barely qualify as a religion anyway.  Now, Laotsu definitely does, but it doesn't look like Taoism survived any better than Confucius. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies