Clean Coal vs. Nuclear Energy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:10:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Clean Coal vs. Nuclear Energy
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Between clean-coal technology and nuclear energy, which energy source do you think the United States should invest more in?
Democrat -clean coal

Democrat -nuclear energy

Republican -clean coal

Republican -nuclear energy

independent/third party -clean coal

independent/third party -nuclear energy

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: Clean Coal vs. Nuclear Energy  (Read 3131 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 30, 2008, 05:26:33 PM »

Just thought I'd ask, since I couldn't help but notice that both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama seem to think it safer to trumpet their support for expanding clean coal technology, but say virtually nothing about nuclear energy (unless you dig down deep into their campaign websites).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 05:33:12 PM »

Indy/3rd Party Nuclear.  It's already "clean".
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 06:58:07 PM »

no technology is totally clean, but we've already worked out most of the problems with nuclear energy and have a reasonably certain estimate of the costs and risks.  Clean coal on the other hand makes some questionable assumptions about how easy it will be to sequester the CO2, such as how do we get it to where we intend to sequester it on a large scale and how long will it stay sequestered?

Actually, the best idea for reducing CO2 emissions may not be sequestration but conversion to methanol or hydrocarbons.  The energy used for doing so could be provided by renewable sources such as solar and wind and thus act as a way to smooth out the peaks and valleys of those sources.  Temporary storage to store the gas until it was converted is quite doable.  It is not currently done much because of the expense, but as the cost of CO2 emissions increase due to carbon taxing and/or cap and trade programs, such systems become workable and don't require us to develop an infrastructure to move large quantities of CO2 around.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 07:39:09 PM »

We've been having this debate in Australia for a while - since we have no nuclear power stations.

My view is that clean-coal is a good long-medium term option. People hear the world 'nuclear' and have some kind of breakdown - I think as long as we have clear waste management processes. I don't object to nuclear as a cleaner short-term solution.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 07:49:45 PM »

Nuclear Energy please.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 08:11:04 PM »

nuclear energy.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 10:41:36 PM »

Neither, preferably, but if I had to pick, nuclear, because it would actually reduce CO2 emissions unlike "clean" coal, which is a misnomer.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 01:36:25 AM »

Nuclear, as it's the devil you know.

"Clean" coal could become a fiasco like growing corn for fuel.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 04:07:09 AM »

Nukular, but clean coal is worth looking into.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 05:16:46 AM »

Coal.  I'm not too worried about the 'clean' aspect.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 08:13:40 AM »

Clean coal
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 02:00:34 PM »

Coal.  I'm not too worried about the 'clean' aspect.
This maybe stupid on my part, but can you elaborate here?  You're not concerned with the pollution caused by coal plants?  acid rain?
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 02:09:37 PM »

Yes, Ethanol is a good analogy to the clean coal thing. It just appears to be another technology that just re-invents the bycylce. Fission power has been around for decades, but now is cheaper, cleaner and provides more power mol that Carbon.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 09:59:30 PM »

Nuclear energy for me.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 12:34:52 AM »

Coal, being a hydrocarbon, has better use as a raw material than as a combustible. And, in any case, I prefer coal being converted into "gasoline" rather than being burned in an inefficient generator.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 07:09:47 AM »

Nuclear energy.

Reminds me of a Segolene Royal screwup "What % of French energy is nuclear". Her answer "around 7-15%". Correct answer: high 70s.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 12:09:35 PM »

Coal, being a hydrocarbon, has better use as a raw material than as a combustible. And, in any case, I prefer coal being converted into "gasoline" rather than being burned in an inefficient generator.

Actually coal-fired plants are more efficient than internal combustion engines.  They just aren't suitable for running a car.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 06:06:55 AM »

Clean coal. Coal will be with us as a, if not the, primary means of electricy production for a LONG time. Let's accept this but minimise the danger it has on the environment.

Also, look into geothermal energy.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 07:57:06 AM »

Both need significant investment in the US.

Advances in nuclear power have continued forward since Three Mile Island in the 1970s. However, the state and federal standards have not moved forward since the implementation has been outside the US. Technological advances in France have greatly improved the fuel cycle, reducing waste to a fraction of that produced by US plants. Other new designs are being prototyped elsewhere in the world to reduce risk compared to earlier generations of reactors. The US should increase its investment in the research and update standards to match our best knowledge.

Clean coal tends to include a large group of new technologies. The US should certainly step up it's support for coal plants with carbon sequestration. This has the best chance to reduce emissions of any type from coal burning, and conceptual design work has been complete. Unfortunately the primary initiative in this area, FutureGen, has been caught up in political infighting. A prototype may take a decade to show its promise, so the fighting should stop, and the project should get full funding and siting approval.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 08:53:03 AM »

Both need significant investment in the US.

Advances in nuclear power have continued forward since Three Mile Island in the 1970s. However, the state and federal standards have not moved forward since the implementation has been outside the US. Technological advances in France have greatly improved the fuel cycle, reducing waste to a fraction of that produced by US plants. Other new designs are being prototyped elsewhere in the world to reduce risk compared to earlier generations of reactors. The US should increase its investment in the research and update standards to match our best knowledge.

Clean coal tends to include a large group of new technologies. The US should certainly step up it's support for coal plants with carbon sequestration. This has the best chance to reduce emissions of any type from coal burning, and conceptual design work has been complete. Unfortunately the primary initiative in this area, FutureGen, has been caught up in political infighting. A prototype may take a decade to show its promise, so the fighting should stop, and the project should get full funding and siting approval.

Hey, so what we need now is a scandal to discredit the regulators.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 03:55:33 PM »

Calling it "clean coal" is like marketing "reduced-fat lard" - only slightly better of a still-bad thing.  It's a PR campaign by industry stakeholders.

That said, most of the effects of burning fossil fuels could be ameliorated with time, but nuclear waste would be around for thousands of years, so I'll go with ever-so-slightly-less-dirty coal.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies