Clinton likens herself to 'Rocky'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:25:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Clinton likens herself to 'Rocky'
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Clinton likens herself to 'Rocky'  (Read 3359 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 01, 2008, 04:19:07 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Haha, I love this about her. I only wish she was fighting against the Republicans right now. I hope that last bit is true, even if she doesn't win this year.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 04:25:39 PM »

Didn't Apollo Creed end up winning that fight?  In which case....is this really a helpful analogy for her?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 04:26:12 PM »

HAHA...the real Rocky has endorsed McCain Wink
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 04:28:15 PM »

Didn't Apollo Creed end up winning that fight?  In which case....is this really a helpful analogy for her?

Yes, on a technical knockout... But I doubt most people know that. I would be a good analogy if she was gunning for a 2012 run though...
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 04:44:26 PM »

Yes, on a technical knockout... But I doubt most people know that. I would be a good analogy if she was gunning for a 2012 run though...

Uhh...no...not TKO...Creed won on the cards...2 cards to 1.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 05:20:43 PM »

Uhh...no...not TKO...Creed won on the cards...2 cards to 1.

I stand corrected...
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 05:36:51 PM »

Will she bow out with grace like in the last Rocky film after losing to a black man?
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 09:43:42 PM »

What is she talking about, other than the times she stayed with her scumbag cheater of a husband?  She's won both her previous elections for public office.  I can't really think of too much hardship and adversity she's faced, other than from Bill.

This Hillary-the-oppressed myth is getting old.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 10:25:47 PM »
« Edited: April 01, 2008, 10:29:21 PM by Beet »

What is she talking about, other than the times she stayed with her scumbag cheater of a husband?  She's won both her previous elections for public office.  I can't really think of too much hardship and adversity she's faced, other than from Bill.

I didn't take from that that she was oppressed. Just that she knew what it was like to stumble but get back up. It only takes one example. The first thing that came to mind was the failure of universal health care in 1994, and that would have been sufficient. The second thing I would have thought of was losing Iowa and coming back, and coming back on March 4. Also, the entire point of this quote is emphasize that she'll keep fighting past these things, not that she's defined by them. That's why I added that I hoped she would have the same attitude even if she loses this time. Bill's adultery never even crossed my mind. It's amazing how different people see the same quote and come up with completely different interpretations and thoughts.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 07:47:53 AM »

a little cheesy, but eh, ive always admired her tenacity.

obama supporters  need to knock off the whining for her to drop out.  for three reasons...

1. it sounds really whiny.  and it doesnt make sense to constantly say 'oh she only has a 5% chance of winning, she should drop out.'  if her odds are that low, why should any obama supporter care if she stays in or not.  i dont recall mccain supporters whining for huck or paul to drop out.

2.  to argue that democracy not super delegates should decide the nomination and then turn around and say she should drop out...doesnt make sense.  if obama supporters are such big believers in democracy, they should appreciate the fact she is staying in the race.

3.  it is going to sound even more whiny to call for her to drop out after she wins pa by double digits. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 10:26:20 AM »

Will she bow out with grace like in the last Rocky film after losing to a black man?

Grace?  Class?  The Hildabeast?  Yeah, right.  Cheesy
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 11:24:56 AM »

the primaries were scheduled until june for a reason.

not much point in a primary if you only have one choice.

the democrat party has to be one of the oldest political parties in the world, i think it can survive this just fine.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 01:32:16 PM »

Itīs more a comparison of the game "Snooker". Clintonīs down about 2 or 3 fouls/misses and itīs nearly impossible for her to win, because thereīs just the Blue, the Pink and the Black left. But she waits and tries to snooker her enemy to force him into an error. Itīs just that Obama wonīt do her that favor ...
perdedor

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 04:09:50 PM »

I think it's a fair comparison. Much like Rocky, her brain is roughly equivilant to mush.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 05:25:23 PM »

I didn't take from that that she was oppressed. Just that she knew what it was like to stumble but get back up. It only takes one example. The first thing that came to mind was the failure of universal health care in 1994, and that would have been sufficient. The second thing I would have thought of was losing Iowa and coming back, and coming back on March 4. Also, the entire point of this quote is emphasize that she'll keep fighting past these things, not that she's defined by them. That's why I added that I hoped she would have the same attitude even if she loses this time. Bill's adultery never even crossed my mind. It's amazing how different people see the same quote and come up with completely different interpretations and thoughts.

That's interesting.  We did see that completely different ways.

With Hillarycare, though, she did pretty well give up after it failed.  She was mostly quiet for the next six years, probably because she was muzzled.
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 09:29:57 PM »

So is Obama Clubber Lang?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies