House members urge Bush to skip Olympics
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:22:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  House members urge Bush to skip Olympics
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: House members urge Bush to skip Olympics  (Read 1525 times)
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 02, 2008, 01:16:49 AM »

Story:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Thoughts?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 01:25:53 AM »

I don't think we should even be trading with them until they clean up their act.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 06:14:41 AM »

I don't think we should even be trading with them until they clean up their act.

Problem with that, nice idea though it is, is that the US relies on China for a lot of imports and exports.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 06:32:53 AM »

I'm not saying it wouldn't hurt, but we'd survive without them.  If it might save millions of lives, it would be worth it to pay a little more for my TV sets and childrens toys.  Most of the things we get from them is crap anyway (or filled with lead).  We can pay people that aren't occupying other nations to make our cheap sh**t.  There are billions of people throughout the world that would love to make our Hot Wheels and Barbie dolls.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 06:54:48 AM »

"Symbolically," it might be a good gesture on behalf of Tibet to skip the opening ceremonies.  However, in order for it to really be effective, not only would Bush have to skip it, but so would all of our athletes, and that would just be unfair to them since they've worked so hard to reach the games.

I think the best thing to do is design the US uniforms for the opening ceremony to incorporate the colors of Tibet's flag as a sign of solidarity, and then have Bush make an address from China itself about the situation.  Of course, it will really cool ties with China (the closest thing we have to a cold-war competitor at the moment) and might have long-term negative effects, but it would achieve what the members of the House are asking for at the moment.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 04:08:27 PM »

The Olympics shouldn't be politicized.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 04:18:57 PM »

Because this worked so well with Jimmy Carter...plus...bad idea to insult our lenders?
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 04:35:17 PM »

Exactly. They could just get a junior bureaucrat to muse off the record about diversifying their portfolio or calling up some US T-Bonds, and then the market will deliver their worst possible punishment.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 04:30:01 PM »

We shouldn't boycott the Olympics.  It would serve no purpose, other than to embarass the US.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 07:36:41 PM »

Even if they offered me a free ticket to the 1936... ahem 2008 Olympic Games, I wouldn't go.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 08:04:47 PM »

I can't see why Shrub was planning to attend in the first place.  With the games being in London in 2012, I can understand Brown heading over there, but why Shrub?  To see baseball played for the last time in the Olympics?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 08:51:23 PM »

Ah, the Dems want to trigger a second cold war with China?
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 11:21:22 PM »

I think everything about China is pretty shameful. But, realistically it has little real impact for the president to boycott or otherwise not participate, it begins to make sense if the U.S. pulls out entirely; which won't happen. And, of course we will never stop trading with them. Well not until we fight a war with them (give it 20 years).
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 12:06:19 PM »

Ah, the Dems want to trigger a second cold war with China?

As Generic notes, it would have little impact. Reintroducing a human rights dimension to US-China relations wouldn't be a bad idea, given that it has rather dropped off in recent years.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2008, 10:49:11 PM »

The real passive-aggressive thing to do would have our delegation fly the Tibetan flag at the opening ceremonies (or, if that's too much, the Olympic flag---I seem to remember certain countries doing that in the past).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 01:04:15 AM »

The more I think about this, the more I bet the PRC is starting to regret getting the Olympics.  They are going to have the world press running all over the country for a month or so this summer, what are they going to do when the monks come out to protest then?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 02:42:23 AM »

Let me state my opinion about France in this - Sarkozy is being a little woosy - if you're going to make a fit and protest the opening ceremony, then boycott the whole dang thing - don't just boycott the ceremony and then be all like "but we're gonna compete" - that's a double standard and hypocricy.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2008, 10:21:26 AM »

Let me state my opinion about France in this - Sarkozy is being a little woosy - if you're going to make a fit and protest the opening ceremony, then boycott the whole dang thing - don't just boycott the ceremony and then be all like "but we're gonna compete" - that's a double standard and hypocricy.

No, it's actually a far better decision than a complete boycott. Sarkozy not attending is a purely political gesture at an event that is undeniably a global political showcase (it always has been, it always will be). He makes his statement but allows French athletes to compete in the Games for which they have trained their entire lives. Make all the political moves you want, but don't forbid the athletes from competing. Their window of opportunity is almost always one Olympiad - to take it away from them to make a political gesture is completely unfair. However, if the political gesture can be made without infringing on anyone's ability to compete, then go ahead, however futile it may be.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2008, 10:25:44 AM »

No, it's actually a far better decision than a complete boycott. Sarkozy not attending is a purely political gesture at an event that is undeniably a global political showcase (it always has been, it always will be). He makes his statement but allows French athletes to compete in the Games for which they have trained their entire lives. Make all the political moves you want, but don't forbid the athletes from competing. Their window of opportunity is almost always one Olympiad - to take it away from them to make a political gesture is completely unfair. However, if the political gesture can be made without infringing on anyone's ability to compete, then go ahead, however futile it may be.

Then don't take it away - encourage them not to go.  And besides, they could always compete under the Olympic flag, just like Puerto Rico has done.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2008, 11:05:25 AM »

Then don't take it away - encourage them not to go.  And besides, they could always compete under the Olympic flag, just like Puerto Rico has done.

No, that puts the athletes in the tremendously difficult spot of having to choose between the wishes of their government and their own hopes and dreams. However, if political leaders want to make largely symbolic statements with little practical impact, the athletes aren't put in the same unfair situation.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2008, 05:20:56 PM »

We shouldn't boycott the Olympics.  It would serve no purpose, other than to embarass the US.

No, it wouldn't embarrass the US, it would embarrass China.  You see, this awful culture is obsessed with 'face', particularly the 'big men' within it who lord it over the rest.  It really is an ugly one - even uglier than the empire it is replacing.  But they are singularly easy to embarrass and upset, so it would be funny to do so.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2008, 05:27:12 PM »

No, it wouldn't embarrass the US, it would embarrass China.  You see, this awful culture is obsessed with 'face', particularly the 'big men' within it who lord it over the rest.  It really is an ugly one - even uglier than the empire it is replacing.  But they are singularly easy to embarrass and upset, so it would be funny to do so.

So do you support a full boycott, or just a boycott of the leaders @ the ceremony?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2008, 09:02:27 PM »

I'm not into punishing athletes
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2008, 09:07:18 PM »

Athletes train their entire lives to be in the Olympic games, and it would be extremely selfish for the USA to boycott the Olympics. A boycott would come with the bonus of a pissed off Chinese government, which isn't beneficial to anyone.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2008, 09:17:05 PM »

I think that we shouldn't boycott the Olympics but we should make sure it never gets placed into an Authoritarian country ever again.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies