Opinion of Scoop Jackson
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:33:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Scoop Jackson
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Poll
Question: ...
Positive

Negative

Neutral

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 77

Author Topic: Opinion of Scoop Jackson  (Read 14325 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2008, 10:21:58 PM »

It's a standard .gif to symbolize frustration used on many message boards. A cookie to anyone who knows where it's from.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2008, 10:22:38 PM »

So it's not a future picture of you realizing you've spent over half a decade posting obsessively about strip clubs/suburbs/anti-catholicism?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2008, 07:20:09 AM »

Don't know about him but I'd vote for J. William Fulbright over Scoop Jackson a million times.

Fulbright was openly racist and a longtime segregationist. He was also almost certainly an anti-semite.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2008, 09:04:25 AM »

Don't know about him but I'd vote for J. William Fulbright over Scoop Jackson a million times.

Fulbright was openly racist and a longtime segregationist. He was also almost certainly an anti-semite.

O RLY?  This statement accurately describes one of my great-grandfathers as well, though that's really not surprising.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2008, 10:56:25 AM »

Fulbright was openly racist and a longtime segregationist.

Well yes. But in the long run Jackson's policies would've caused a lot more death and suffering. (Vietnam)

He was also almost certainly an anti-semite.

Thinking it's not a good idea to give Israel a blank check to do whatever they want and support the unconditionally != anti-Semitism
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2008, 12:52:40 PM »

Vietnam was winnable. It's just that LBJ focked it by micromanagement.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2008, 03:01:39 PM »

Vietnam was winnable. It's just that LBJ focked it by micromanagement.

Yes, yes it was.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »

No, it wasn't. Not with the lack of clear objectives.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2008, 05:15:54 PM »

if you adore irrationality, sure.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2008, 09:56:45 PM »

Normally I'd probably vote negative, but I had to vote positive just because he's a Washingtonian and anyone who produces this map is f**king awesome:

Agreed. What percentage did he get in that election, 80% of the vote?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2008, 01:22:03 AM »

Agreed. What percentage did he get in that election, 80% of the vote?

82.43% Grin
https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=53&year=1970&f=1&off=3
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2008, 01:44:04 AM »

Washington used to have Scoop Jackson and Dixy Lee Ray.  Now Washington has Patty Murray and Christine Gregoire.  This is not progress.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2008, 07:56:00 AM »

Yes it was.  It just would have cost to much in money, men and resect in the rest of the world (and would have likely lead to WWIII).
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2008, 12:55:47 PM »

Yes it was.  It just would have cost to much in money, men and resect in the rest of the world (and would have likely lead to WWIII).

Well, I wouldn't really consider that "winning".
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2008, 09:47:10 PM »

Well, I wouldn't really consider that "winning".

That isn't winning.  Winning would have been preventing Communism from spreading to South Vietnam; that could have been attained.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2008, 09:52:55 PM »

Preventing communism from spreading to South Vietnam = Not worth a single dead US soldier. No oppressive regime like South Vietnam is ever worth a single American life no matter what the alternative is. Diem and his gang should've just've been told to go to hell like NATO European allies did.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2008, 10:03:06 PM »

Preventing communism from spreading to South Vietnam = Not worth a single dead US soldier. No oppressive regime like South Vietnam is ever worth a single American life no matter what the alternative is. Diem and his gang should've just've been told to go to hell like NATO European allies did.

I'm guessing you don't think it was worth in Korea either?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2008, 10:17:48 PM »

That was a UN-approved action against aggression by the north while Vietnam was just the US attempting to continue France's ridiculous colonial war.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2008, 10:20:14 PM »

That was a UN-approved action against aggression by the north while Vietnam was just the US attempting to continue France's ridiculous colonial war.

We were attempting to preserve a non-Communist government, which is what mattered.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2008, 10:25:13 PM »

We were attempting to preserve a non-Communist government, which is what mattered.

OK, so lets force thousands of our citizens to go to a hell hole and likely die so we can prevent a despotic Communist government from replacing a despotic non-Communist government. Brilliant! Wonderful cause! Especially considering the despotic non-Communist government DID not survive and where was the stack of dominos that were going to fall?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2008, 10:26:20 PM »

OK, so lets force thousands of our citizens to go to a hell hole and likely die so we can prevent a despotic Communist government from replacing a despotic non-Communist government. Brilliant! Wonderful cause! Especially considering the despotic non-Communist government DID not survive and where was the stack of dominos that were going to fall?

If LBJ had not attempted to balance guns and butter, and had gone into the war full scale, fewer American lives would have been lost.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2008, 10:33:42 PM »

If LBJ had not attempted to balance guns and butter, and had gone into the war full scale, fewer American lives would have been lost.

But why go to war? You haven't answered that. The Vietnamese people clearly wanted Minh.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2008, 10:36:33 PM »

But why go to war? You haven't answered that. The Vietnamese people clearly wanted Minh.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2008, 10:37:15 PM »

Aside from the fact that they attacked us first, the Communists were never elected in South Vietnam.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2008, 10:38:10 PM »

That's because there never were fair and free elections there.

And you still buy the Gulf of Tonkin incident? It was obviously faked.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies