Thirteen names on McCain's running mate list...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:50:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Thirteen names on McCain's running mate list...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Thirteen names on McCain's running mate list...  (Read 3071 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 04, 2008, 03:18:06 PM »

Former Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour
North Carolina Sen. Richard Burr
Florida Gov. Charlie Crist
Former Arkansas Gov. and former presidential candidate Mike Huckabee
Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr.
Texas Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison
Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty
Former Ohio Rep. and former Director of the Office of Management and Budget Rob Portman
Former Massachusetts Gov. and former presidential candidate Mitt Romney
Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan
South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford
FedEx CEO Frederick Smith
GOPAC Chair Michael Steele

http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/campaign-2008/2008/04/04/mccains-potential-vice-presidential-candidates.html
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 03:21:07 PM »

Told you Steele would be an interesting pick.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 03:24:18 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Are the netroots people going to accuse him of being a "corporatist" for this?

I don't even know who this guy is, but that sounds like the most uninspiring title and credentials ever.  Even though his name sort of reminds me of Ron Perlman.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 03:24:36 PM »

No Lieberman?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 03:28:02 PM »

Not unless he's also heading up McCain's VP selection process. Wink
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 03:31:51 PM »

Former Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour
North Carolina Sen. Richard Burr
Florida Gov. Charlie Crist
Former Arkansas Gov. and former presidential candidate Mike Huckabee
Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr.
Texas Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison
Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty
Former Ohio Rep. and former Director of the Office of Management and Budget Rob Portman
Former Massachusetts Gov. and former presidential candidate Mitt Romney
Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan
South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford
FedEx CEO Frederick Smith
GOPAC Chair Michael Steele

http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/campaign-2008/2008/04/04/mccains-potential-vice-presidential-candidates.html

I could see Barbour, Sanford or Pawlenty.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 03:32:01 PM »

No Rudy Sad

I am glad to see my darkhorse, Richard Burr, is on it. I knew his wife was acting strange when she talked to my parents.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 03:41:17 PM »

There's no reason to believe this list is the least bit accurate.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 03:41:43 PM »

This a credible source?

Morden came in while I was typing.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 04:04:38 PM »

I still think Sanford is the best pick.
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 04:08:50 PM »

Haley Barbour was a TOBACCO LOBBYIST right before he was governor of Mississippi.  I have a hard time believing that McBush is dumb enough to put Joe Camel one heartbeat away from the presidency, thereby forfeiting Utah.  Remember that Utah is 70% Mormon and tobacco use is against the Mormon religion.  I'm pretty sure that Joe Camel is just as hated in conservative Utah as he is in liberal Berkeley.  For that matter, I don't think a tobacco lobbyist would be popular in any other state.  OK, Barbour would have many friends in high places in the South, but a good Democratic campaign would make sure to remind voters that he was undermining their work in making sure their kids don't fall into the trap of nicotine addiction.  (So much for moral values and protecting America.)  Given that the South has a disproportionate number of tobacco users and victims, Southerners have plenty of good reason use a portrait of Haley Barbour for target practice.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 04:13:52 PM »

If it weren't for those conservatives who claim Huckabee isn't "conservative enough"....I'd like to see him picked. Pawlenty is also a top selection of mine...Sanford somewhat. I like Barbour, but he would fall to stereotypes. I really would like to see some "Joementum" on that ticket...and I don't mean Joe Republic...
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 04:16:54 PM »

I saw Barbour on Foxnews last night. He's wonderful! A good ole' boy from the great state of Mississippi! And being a tobacco lobbyist would really help McCain in North Carolina, where many people say will be a swing state with Obama's moderate views and broad appeal. 
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 04:22:23 PM »

I saw Barbour on Foxnews last night. He's wonderful! A good ole' boy from the great state of Mississippi! And being a tobacco lobbyist would really help McCain in North Carolina, where many people say will be a swing state with Obama's moderate views and broad appeal. 

Those many people already smoke dope.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 04:22:46 PM »

I don't even know who this guy is, but that sounds like the most uninspiring title and credentials ever.  Even though his name sort of reminds me of Ron Perlman.

He was the guy who resigned his House seat in 2005, which lead to the Schmidt-Hackett showdown.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2008, 04:23:33 PM »

Are the netroots people going to accuse him of being a "corporatist" for this?

It reminds me of Natalie Portman.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 04:24:27 PM »
« Edited: April 04, 2008, 04:26:27 PM by Stranger in a strange land »

Huh

Why? either way Obama will win the black vote 95-5.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2008, 04:30:37 PM »

Haley Barbour was a TOBACCO LOBBYIST right before he was governor of Mississippi.  I have a hard time believing that McBush is dumb enough to put Joe Camel one heartbeat away from the presidency, thereby forfeiting Utah.  Remember that Utah is 70% Mormon and tobacco use is against the Mormon religion.  I'm pretty sure that Joe Camel is just as hated in conservative Utah as he is in liberal Berkeley.  For that matter, I don't think a tobacco lobbyist would be popular in any other state.  OK, Barbour would have many friends in high places in the South, but a good Democratic campaign would make sure to remind voters that he was undermining their work in making sure their kids don't fall into the trap of nicotine addiction.  (So much for moral values and protecting America.)  Given that the South has a disproportionate number of tobacco users and victims, Southerners have plenty of good reason use a portrait of Haley Barbour for target practice.

How would that forfeit Utah again?  Obama has beers with workers in PA, does that make Mormons hate him?  Mormons are just personally against substances, they aren't self righteous and stupid about it.  I'm pretty sure they're more concerned with gay marriage and abortion than banning cigarettes as their main issue.

All of the liberals smoke in Berkeley.  You got to get with the times man, smoking has become cool again.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2008, 04:32:19 PM »

Steele being the most experienced person in American politics.
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 04:45:44 PM »

How would that forfeit Utah again?  Obama has beers with workers in PA, does that make Mormons hate him?  Mormons are just personally against substances, they aren't self righteous and stupid about it.  I'm pretty sure they're more concerned with gay marriage and abortion than banning cigarettes as their main issue.

All of the liberals smoke in Berkeley.  You got to get with the times man, smoking has become cool again.
Nicotine is more addictive than alcohol and is even more addictive than many "hard" drugs like heroin.  You know many people who consume an alcoholic beverage once in a while, but you probably don't know anyone who smokes just once in a while.  Nicotine tends to be an all-or-nothing proposition, and very few people stay in the middle ground for long.  Most people either don't smoke at all, or they smoke more often than they use the bathroom.

Nicotine is the ONLY legally available product that kills such a high percentage of users even when used as directed.  Smoking is the leading cause of premature death, far surpassing gunshots, drownings, falls, car crashes, airplane crashes, etc.

Having Haley "Joe Camel" Barbour on the ticket would blatantly undermine the claptrap about "moral values" and "the sanctity of life".  Exactly what is moral or pro-life about being a glorified drug pusher who seduces kids into nicotine addiction against the wishes of their parents?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2008, 04:50:35 PM »

...which is a lovely talking point that will not flip Utah in a million billion years.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2008, 04:53:31 PM »

HHR, I know plenty well how addictive nicotine is.  I've read textbooks on the subject and not just pamphlets.  Why are you lecturing me?  Have you ever met a Mormon?  Or a liberal in Berkeley?  I agree that being a tobacco lobbyist is generally unpopular but it's absurd to say it'll cost McCain the Mormon vote.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2008, 04:55:04 PM »

HHR, I know plenty well how addictive nicotine is.  I've read textbooks on the subject and not just pamphlets.  Why are you lecturing me?  Have you ever met a Mormon?  Or a liberal in Berkeley?

Not all the liberals here are smoking.  I just looked outside!  Some of them may have been Mormons though.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2008, 04:55:31 PM »

Former Governor Haley Barbour?

Paul Ryan is an interesting choice. Young, very good geography, relatively good looking, solid with the base. If McCain wants to balance the ticket, that's the way to do it.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2008, 04:56:09 PM »

HHR, I know plenty well how addictive nicotine is.  I've read textbooks on the subject and not just pamphlets.  Why are you lecturing me?  Have you ever met a Mormon?  Or a liberal in Berkeley?

Not all the liberals here are smoking.  I just looked outside!  Some of them may have been Mormons though.

I just looked outside and saw 5.  It's a sunny day though, it really brings them out.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies