Thirteen names on McCain's running mate list...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:16:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Thirteen names on McCain's running mate list...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Thirteen names on McCain's running mate list...  (Read 3056 times)
Thomas Jackson
ghostmonkey

Political Matrix
E: 8.77, S: 8.79

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2008, 04:56:17 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Don't try reason. It appears that smoking is HHR's favorite issue. You'd do better to slam your head against the computer.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2008, 04:57:28 PM »

HHR, I know plenty well how addictive nicotine is.  I've read textbooks on the subject and not just pamphlets.  Why are you lecturing me?  Have you ever met a Mormon?  Or a liberal in Berkeley?

Not all the liberals here are smoking.  I just looked outside!  Some of them may have been Mormons though.

I just looked outside and saw 5.  It's a sunny day though, it really brings them out.

Asians don't count!
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2008, 05:05:10 PM »

I saw this list a few days ago and have had some time to ponder it:

Former Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour - I can't think of one thing Barbour brings to the ticket that McCain can't get with a more attractive running-mate.

North Carolina Sen. Richard Burr - ibid... the only thing I can think of is he helps out in North Carolina and Virginia, but if we are seriously contesting them then we have bigger worries.  Plus, Burr's voting record is pretty moderate, if out goal is to reassure the base, then there will be blood.

Florida Gov. Charlie Crist - Even if Crist isn't gay, he's gay.  The religious right doesn't care about facts.

Former Arkansas Gov. and former presidential candidate Mike Huckabee -   Again, what does Huckabee actually bring to the ticket?  Anybody?

Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. -   Well, I suppose we might have to reassure those Mormons that only half of the GOP hates them.

Texas Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison - A+ pick.  No major issues on the issues and a woman to boot.  Only thing I can think of as a draw back is age.  If Obama gets the nomination Texas is a lock for the GOP for day 1 (as opposed to week 1, which is the norm) so I don't see much help there, but geography is less a factor in choosing a VP these days.  Point is, if McCain dies Hutchison can take over in a second.

Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty - The more I look, the less I see Pawlenty bringing to the ticket.  I don't think he alone could bring in Minnesota and the whole Upper-Midwest in general is probably gonna favor Obama this time around.  Not an interesting pick, and pretty uninspiring.  He is probably the best "safe" pick out there, should it come to that.

Former Ohio Rep. and former Director of the Office of Management and Budget Rob Portman - Not even very well known in Ohio from what I gather.  Too much time spent explaining who Bob (purposeful mistake) Portman is.  Take forward momentum away from campaign.

Former Massachusetts Gov. and former presidential candidate Mitt Romney -

Doesn't bring anything to the ticket charismatic enough to outshine the top of the ticket... that's never a good thing.  He'll leave too many people wish he were at the top.  Plus, he doesn't have the experience required of a McCain ticket.

Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan - Who?

South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford - As I have said before, this isn't a good time for the GOP to chain itself to big real estate.  Plus, I'm not sure if he brings too much in.

FedEx CEO Frederick Smith - A very interesting pick.  He could reassure the business community, which is nervous about McCain.  Most "little guys" probably have a favorable opinion of FedEx, so I don't see a problem there.  Real American "zero-to-hero" success story.  Friend of both George W. Bush and John Kerry, so he's not polarizing.  I would give him an "A" grade.

GOPAC Chair Michael Steele - Well... he's black, you can't deny that.  You also can't deny that his highest level of office is Lt. Gov of Maryland and that he lost a Senate race just two years ago.  Are we really that desperate?

Here are a few picks I would suggest that aren't on the list:

Sec. of State Condi Rice - McCain has obviously made it quite clear that he isn't running from the War.  Rice had very little to do with the multiple screw ups that were made once we were in Iraq, so it wouldn't be like picking Rumsfeld.  Obviously, she brings race and gender to the ticket.  She has experience.  Great pick, no, but she is someone who should be in the Top 10.

Senator John Sununu - I know this got some laughs the first time I suggested it, but think about it.  He's young, he has more experience in government than Obama and Clinton combined.  He is going to lose his Senate seat anyway.  He is inoffensive to Southerns and Northerns alike.  Reliably conservative.

Former Congressman J.C. Watts - He's been out of Washington for a while, but that's a good thing.  Other than the obvious race issue, he could represent a negation of the GOP's wasteful policies of the last 8 years.  He reminds old-time GOPers of the Contract, which he played a pretty big rule in.  Good pick.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2008, 05:10:04 PM »

Plus, with Watts, can you imagine how awesome it would be to have someone on the ticket whose name honest to God is "Julius Caesar"?
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2008, 05:13:49 PM »

Former Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour - A failure
North Carolina Sen. Richard Burr - Another failure
Florida Gov. Charlie Crist - Gay
Former Arkansas Gov. and former presidential candidate Mike Huckabee - I would hope he picks someone who believes in evolution
Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. - why?
Texas Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison - not a bad pick
Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty - good pick
Former Ohio Rep. and former Director of the Office of Management and Budget Rob Portman - no
Former Massachusetts Gov. and former presidential candidate Mitt Romney - Well, he could help out in the West where McCain is struggling. Plus he brings economic credentials. Not a bad pick actually
Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan - no
South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford - Good choice
FedEx CEO Frederick Smith - dunno him
GOPAC Chair Michael Steele - LOL. Yeah, that'll help with the black vote.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2008, 05:17:56 PM »

Texas Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison - A+ pick.  No major issues on the issues and a woman to boot.  Only thing I can think of as a draw back is age.  If Obama gets the nomination Texas is a lock for the GOP for day 1 (as opposed to week 1, which is the norm) so I don't see much help there, but geography is less a factor in choosing a VP these days.  Point is, if McCain dies Hutchison can take over in a second.

I deleted a much snarkier comment, so let me just say this: she's not going to make the ticket look any younger or more dynamic.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2008, 05:19:19 PM »

Former Massachusetts Gov. and former presidential candidate Mitt Romney - Well, he could help out in the West where McCain is struggling. Plus he brings economic credentials. Not a bad pick actually

There is the slight problem that McCain would probably rather take several sharp blows to the head than run on a ticket with Romney.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2008, 05:24:08 PM »

I wonder why Steele is considered, and not J.C. Watts.  I want to see the other half of this list, dammit.

I deleted a much snarkier comment, so let me just say this: she's not going to make the ticket look any younger or more dynamic.

It'd be funny if Obama tries to offset her by picking Kathleen Sebelius as his veep.  How's that for women in high office, you crazy Hillary-supporting old-school feminists?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2008, 05:45:04 PM »

South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford - Good choice

Youthful and charismatic, but in terms of accomplishments, he has about as many as Obama does.  I can't see him having much appeal to the middle nationally, especially in the middle of an economic slowdown or recession.  Sanford's likely solution to the housing crisis would be to fully privatize Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac so that no one would expect the Federal Government to bail them out if things got worse.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2008, 06:24:24 PM »

I saw Barbour on Foxnews last night. He's wonderful! A good ole' boy from the great state of Mississippi! And being a tobacco lobbyist would really help McCain in North Carolina, where many people say will be a swing state with Obama's moderate views and broad appeal. 

Wasn't Barbour mired in a corruption scandal during his run for re-election last year?  I realize it evidently didn't hurt him in Mississippi.  But if there was substance to it, could it hurt him nationally?
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2008, 06:58:12 PM »

Isn't she pro-choice?
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2008, 06:59:55 PM »

Hutchison just plain sucks.  A terrible pick.  While we're at it, let's see if Elizabeth Dole wants the second spot too.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2008, 08:12:03 PM »

Hutchison just plain sucks.  A terrible pick.  While we're at it, let's see if Elizabeth Dole wants the second spot too.

I agree... two people, let alone two women, running for VP would certainly be revolutionary, if a tab unconstitutional.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2008, 08:16:57 PM »

Isn't she pro-choice?

From wiki:

Hutchison is currently considered to be moderate on abortion issues, at least compared to most elected Republicans from Texas. Although she has served on the Advisory Board of The Wish List (Women in the Senate and House) Political Action Committee, which contributes to pro-choice female Republican candidates for Congress, she is no longer on the board [12] and the PAC did not endorse her in 2006. [13]. In the past years NARAL has given her ratings of 0%, 7%, 20%, and 0%, indicating that her voting record mostly favored enacting proposed abortion restrictions. [14]

While in the Texas House of Representatives (1973 to 1977), Hutchison worked to protect rape victims from having their names published with Sarah Weddington, the attorney who won the Roe v. Wade case. She supports some abortion rights, but does not believe in taxpayer-funded abortions. Hutchison has also endorsed parental notification laws [15] and in 2006 sponsored legislation to prevent minors from being transported across state lines with taxpayer money to subvert such laws.
Spaghetti Cat
Driedapples
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2008, 10:06:34 PM »

Hutchison would be a good choice.  She's well-liked, classy, a good speaker, smart, attractive, fairly conservative views, and well dressed, which isn't very common for women in politics.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2008, 11:11:44 PM »

North Carolina Sen. Richard Burr - ibid... the only thing I can think of is he helps out in North Carolina and Virginia, but if we are seriously contesting them then we have bigger worries.  Plus, Burr's voting record is pretty moderate, if out goal is to reassure the base, then there will be blood.

Burr, moderate??  What???  If a guy who claims that president Bush is right 96% of the time and has a lifetime rating from the ACU of 91 isn't conservative enough for the GOP base, well.....   If Burr's pick hurts McCain in any way it won't be with the conservatives it will be with moderates and Independents as it will give the Dems even more ammo to nail McCain on that he is no longer the independent minded maverick he once was by picking such an arch conservative as his running mate.  the idea that Burr is moderate is laughable
King of the Bench
KingoftheBenchPress
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2008, 11:23:58 PM »

Paul Ryan's an interesting name on that list
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2008, 11:32:39 PM »

Former Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour - Being a tobacco lobbyist will be a factor, as would the fact that he's from Mississippi (if McCain wants moderate northern independents he needs to stay away from Mississippi.) Of course there's no chance of him losing Utah obviously.

North Carolina Sen. Richard Burr - A boring and unimportant senator as experienced as Obama thus negating the experience talking point?

Florida Gov. Charlie Crist - Someone with less experience than Obama and maybe gay.

Former Arkansas Gov. and former presidential candidate Mike Huckabee - No. Just no. But if McCain wants to, go ahead.

Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. - What's the point?

Texas Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison - Another what's the point? A bit more experienced and high profile but what does she add?

Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty - Well Republicans do appear to have gotten over the delusion of him flipping Minnesota. I suppose now he's seen as "safe", won't turn off too many moderates, won't turn off conservatives, and not super gaffe-prone. But hardly inspiring as John Ford has pointed out.

Former Ohio Rep. and former Director of the Office of Management and Budget Rob Portman - Oh yeah, that's the perfect candidate for someone who wants to run as a fiscal conservative, Bush's former budget director. Give me a break.

Former Massachusetts Gov. and former presidential candidate Mitt Romney - I see little point. The Mormons aren't going to jump ship or anything.

Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan - Why?

South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford - Another "safe" choice. Nothing spectacular though.

FedEx CEO Frederick Smith - Against Obama you want someone with political experience.

GOPAC Chair Michael Steele - LOL. Get over this guy Republicans, he's not your magic ticket to the black vote.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2008, 12:26:48 AM »

I saw Barbour on Foxnews last night. He's wonderful! A good ole' boy from the great state of Mississippi! And being a tobacco lobbyist would really help McCain in North Carolina, where many people say will be a swing state with Obama's moderate views and broad appeal. 

Those many people already smoke dope.

I was being sarcastic .. I forgot to end it with a lot of exclamation points. People are smoking dope when they claim Obama is in any way moderate.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2008, 12:29:59 AM »

Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour - Adds nothing, plus aren't the Mississippi fundies a little angry at him?

North Carolina Sen. Richard Burr - Huh? No.

Florida Gov. Charlie Crist - FABULOUS!!!!!!!

Former Arkansas Gov. and former presidential candidate Mike Huckabee - Too polarizing. Any positives he offers you could get from others

Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. - I don't know much about his term as Governor, but this doesn't seem that bad at first impression

Texas Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison - Great pick. This is who I'd go with

Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty - Adds nothing. Won't help win the Midwest

Former Ohio Rep. and former Director of the Office of Management and Budget Rob Portman - I fail to understand why this guy's name gets brought up. He's not well-known in Ohio and he's tainted by the Bush Administration

Former Massachusetts Gov. and former presidential candidate Mitt Romney - They'd kill each other before November. Other than that, I don't think this would be a terrible idea. Indy's would probably roll their eyes but they'd get it over it. As with Huckabee though, there are others who could accomplish his purpose without the negatives

Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan - WTF?

South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford - A solid pick. Wouldn't help much geographically but any conservatives with misgivings probably would be happy with this. I've heard he's sort of a do-nothing though

FedEx CEO Frederick Smith - Is this a joke?

GOPAC Chair Michael Steele - This is surely a joke. Please, please, please pick him. I'm literally smiling just thinking about the news coverage
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2008, 12:34:12 AM »

I wonder who the other seven are on that list.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2008, 12:36:43 AM »

Florida Gov. Charlie Crist - FABULOUS!!!!!!!

LOL
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2008, 12:39:17 AM »

Two other notes though:

1) The VP selection is portrayed as being much more important than it actually is IMO. I highly doubt whoever is on the ticket is going to swing more than a minimal amount of votes unless they really, really suck

2) I don't think this list is accurate, there's too many oddities. Paul Ryan? Richard Burr? Michael Steele? The FedEx guy? Come on now
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2008, 12:44:00 AM »

Two other notes though:

1) The VP selection is portrayed as being much more important than it actually is IMO. I highly doubt whoever is on the ticket is going to swing more than a minimal amount of votes unless they really, really suck

2) I don't think this list is accurate, there's too many oddities. Paul Ryan? Richard Burr? Michael Steele? The FedEx guy? Come on now

Burr doesn't surprise me. As I've said, my stepmother is very close with Burr's wife and she went from denying he's been talking with McCain to being very hush hush about it. In that respect, I have to disagree.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2008, 01:47:38 AM »

I wonder who the other seven are on that list.

The question is meaningless since there's no reason to believe these 13 names are actually on some hypothetical "20 person shortlist".
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies