Am I the only one disgusted by the lack of female involvement on here?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:13:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Am I the only one disgusted by the lack of female involvement on here?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Am I the only one disgusted by the lack of female involvement on here?  (Read 3393 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 04, 2008, 04:07:29 PM »

What do we have, like one regular female poster? We should all be ashamed by the lack of women taking part in our forum. What else can explain these homoerotic threads that are being put up by straight posters and are now dominating the off topic board? We need to start thinking of some ways to grow our female population on here.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 04:08:03 PM »

We could say everyone has six months to get a female to start posting.  Anyone who doesn't is banned.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 04:11:05 PM »

I suggest we rename the forum to something along the lines of 'Hello Kitty Discussion Group' or 'High School Musical Fan Forum'.  By the time they get here and realize they've been conned, they'll already be hooked.

Of course, we'd have to suppress Mike Naso and Southern Patriot first.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 04:16:25 PM »

I'm reminded of this one cartoon by Nicolas Mahler.

See if I can retell the story...
There's this pub in Vienna where one evening in the week, aspiring cartoon artists meet. The question of why no women attend is commonly discussed there. (The reasons why can be guessed from a couple of asides, such as one guy saying to another who's looking at his work "handle those a bit more carefully, will you? I might want to reuse them as wanking materiel") Anyways, occasionally a woman attends, but everybody is a) over-attentive and b) horribly nerdy, so they never come back.
Yeah well, one day a woman starts attending and isn't put off by any of that stuff and keeps coming back.
Some months later, she has a sex-change operation.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 06:20:30 PM »

Women?  Politics?  They don't have time for such trivial things.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 06:54:56 PM »

This site is in many aspects like prison.  The more feminine males take on the roles of the opposite sex.  Josh22 is the prison's "bitch", and enjoys himself in that capacity.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 07:15:25 PM »

If you want to meet women online there are many other sites you can frequent. Nothing wrong with male camraderie.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 09:13:15 PM »

How can you tell on a message board who is female, anyway? If all of them donned monickers like "Princess Glitter Rainbow Diarrhea for McCain 2008" would you feel better about it?

In fields like this where women aren't stereotypically seen to be interested they get exorbitant amounts of attention when they do participate. That's got to get really annoying..
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 09:34:19 PM »

If you want to meet girls go somwhere else, or better yet, go meet them in real life.

But as Joe Republic already said, if we want more to come on and probably not leave right away we need to control the way a few members act like pervs and act in general. I've had to do my big brother duty a couple of times already. Tongue
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 09:53:46 PM »

There are so many reasons.

First, the name of the website and content itself.  For whatever biological or daresay evolutionary reason maps are more geared toward men.  How many stupid comedians have had bits about men refusing to  ask for directions as they pour over their maps. I am sure that most of us found the forum via the main site. 

Forum content: a whole lot of arcane facts and analysis over the smallest bit of information or campaign news.  Females tend toward the big picture if only in politics.

Forum demographics and general demanor:  This site tends to be young, crude at times and apt to flame wars. How many threads have we had about the hottest politician, objectifying sigs, strip club threads, hookers etc etc.  Politicsal disagreements also often devolve into name calling and ad hominem attacks.  Females tend not to like this in the political realm.

Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 12:46:16 AM »

How can you tell on a message board who is female, anyway? If all of them donned monickers like "Princess Glitter Rainbow Diarrhea for McCain 2008" would you feel better about it?

In fields like this where women aren't stereotypically seen to be interested they get exorbitant amounts of attention when they do participate. That's got to get really annoying..

I propose we all follow in this example so that eraser will stop whining about the lack of estrogen.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 12:50:38 AM »

No fat chicks allowed
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 01:11:34 AM »
« Edited: April 05, 2008, 01:15:41 AM by Eraseyourhead »

I'm not interested in meeting women on here just "to meet women". I would like to see their political views represented here though, at least.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2008, 01:30:38 AM »

I'm not interested in meeting women on here just "to meet women". I would like to see their political views represented here though, at least.

Our vaginally-oriented political views are quite beyond your masculinely defined political spectrum. "Left" or "right?" Why not "curvaceous" or "menstrual?"
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2008, 01:34:58 AM »

Our vaginally-oriented political views are quite beyond your masculinely defined political spectrum. "Left" or "right?" Why not "curvaceous" or "menstrual?"

Epic fail.
jesmo

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 01:40:53 AM »

Rin Chan and Texasgurl are both females.

Texaslefty is also a lady, who is active on prediction discussions.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2008, 02:43:30 AM »

First, the name of the website and content itself.  For whatever biological or daresay evolutionary reason maps are more geared toward men.  How many stupid comedians have had bits about men refusing to  ask for directions as they pour over their maps. I am sure that most of us found the forum via the main site. 

Forum content: a whole lot of arcane facts and analysis over the smallest bit of information or campaign news.  Females tend toward the big picture if only in politics.

Forum demographics and general demanor:  This site tends to be young, crude at times and apt to flame wars. How many threads have we had about the hottest politician, objectifying sigs, strip club threads, hookers etc etc.  Politicsal disagreements also often devolve into name calling and ad hominem attacks.  Females tend not to like this in the political realm.

All are valid points except the last one. This forum is extremely tame compared to others I've gone to that've had plenty of females. In fact one of the things that does bother me about my other main one is the extreme sexism there (though it's just a handful of idiots it's still too common.) And there's still plenty of female posters.

I find it hilarious whenever we have a "so and so is hot" thread and someone replies "This is why women don't post here" when in fact all that's being said is that some female is hot and not things like "I'd rupture her cervix with my thrust from my giant cock." or "I'd love to make that girl lick my balls before I f**k her up the ass." Such comments have been made on other forums I've been to.

BRTD, threads like hot congresswoman or stripper digressions may not be as galling but they offer little to an adult, female discourse.

As for the witty material on the other boards you frequent it is not fit for a bathroom stall or a frat house.  You have a problem in thinking that the absolute lowest is the standard on which all other things should be viewed-  obviously with the addendum that if it offends your sensibilities it is hateful.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2008, 03:53:54 AM »

Rin Chan and Texasgurl are both females.

Texaslefty is also a lady, who is active on prediction discussions.

lol.
Chipmunk
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 0.35

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2008, 09:28:49 AM »

Psst I have a secret.  I'm a girl.  No really, I am.

You might not know it because I'm more of a lurker than a poster.  I have the rare trait of not saying anything unless I believe it's a valuable contribution to the discussion.  I'll admit, that's a slightly unique trait amongst many of us from the female side of the species.  However, I do have an interest in politics and I visit the forum quite regularly in order to see the different points of view on various issues and occurances.  I joined the forum because a very good guy  friend told me about it.  No, I probably would not have discovered it on my own so you guys may have a point there.

As far as an actual female response to some of the hypotheses above:
*Lack of interest in politics---Flat out wrong.  I'm interested, my friends are interested, and we do talk about it.  Among girls it's more of a "Hey what do you think about _____.  Oh ok, why?" dialog than a "I think ______ and you should agree because of ______" that is typical of the forums (or male conversation in general).  Not that there's anything wrong with that of course. I personally care more about understanding why people believe as they do than convincing them what they should believe.  That's why I read instead of posting usually.

*Being Easily offended---Also wrong.  If I don't want to read a thread, I don't read it.  It's not like I'm going to judge people I've never met based on an off-topic post.  To be honest, I just don't care that much. There's no good reason that "omg she's so hott threads" should scare off girls.  I haven't stumbled across any overtly sexual threads that offended me, but again, i'm not easily offended.

*Being anti-map---There might be a point here.  I hate maps, I really do.  I have the spatial navigation skills of a peanut. But that's why I come over to the forums so I can get the same information in a happy little verbal way that works for my estrogenized brain.

*Focus on arcane facts---I forgot to quote it in (sorry to the above poster) but someone mentioned that females tend toward the big picture and don't like little details.  In my experience, it's the opposite.  Have you ever met anyone more obsessed with somewhat trivial details than a girl?  Try arguing with one of us and prepare for the avalanche of details. We are obsessed with details, even in politics.

*Forum Demographics--The same poster said that the posters in the forum are often young, crude, etc. and this may be off-putting to females.  And how is this different from the rest of the world?  We live in that just fine Wink

P.S.  I always knew you were a pretty prissy princess, Padfoot Wink
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2008, 12:40:29 PM »

Epic fail.

Someone's learning! ^^
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2008, 12:46:30 PM »

Well, I didn't come here expecting to meet women.  That's an offline activity.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2008, 01:57:02 PM »

*Focus on arcane facts---I forgot to quote it in (sorry to the above poster) but someone mentioned that females tend toward the big picture and don't like little details.  In my experience, it's the opposite.  Have you ever met anyone more obsessed with somewhat trivial details than a girl?  Try arguing with one of us and prepare for the avalanche of details. We are obsessed with details, even in politics.

Thanks for the detaield response.  Trust me I know how obsessive, crazy and manipulative women can be over every mundane detail Wink  My point is  that I haven't met many women who were into analyzing the precint data for Yazoo county in the 1968 election....

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2008, 10:28:49 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2008, 10:33:06 PM by HO HO HO CHI MINH THE NLF IS GONNA WIN! »

All are valid points except the last one. This forum is extremely tame compared to others I've gone to that've had plenty of females. In fact one of the things that does bother me about my other main one is the extreme sexism there (though it's just a handful of idiots it's still too common.) And there's still plenty of female posters.

I find it hilarious whenever we have a "so and so is hot" thread and someone replies "This is why women don't post here" when in fact all that's being said is that some female is hot and not things like "I'd rupture her cervix with my thrust from my giant cock." or "I'd love to make that girl lick my balls before I f**k her up the ass." Such comments have been made on other forums I've been to.

BRTD, threads like hot congresswoman or stripper digressions may not be as galling but they offer little to an adult, female discourse.

As for the witty material on the other boards you frequent it is not fit for a bathroom stall or a frat house.  You have a problem in thinking that the absolute lowest is the standard on which all other things should be viewed-  obviously with the addendum that if it offends your sensibilities it is hateful.

My point being the material discussed here is hardly turning off women if they can tolerate the absolute lowest on other forums. Hell if what was said on this forum was too offensive you wouldn't be seeing many women at keg parties or bars.

The whole reason really comes back to that women hate maps, and while some do like political discussion, they don't like the type on this site. Women want to discuss actual issues and their effects on things, not if black turnout increased in some county between 2000 and 2004 or what percentage of the white vote Obama needs to break 58.33% in some congressional district.

As for the extremely low discussion not fit for those areas, as I said it's just a handful of idiots basically, and it comes from essentially no moderation whatseover. I suppose it's what you get when you have a forum created by, administered by and moderated almost exclusively by 20somethings, with basically no actual "adult" oversight anywhere. Though it is worth noting the primary administrator is a female.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2008, 10:59:36 PM »

My point being the material discussed here is hardly turning off women if they can tolerate the absolute lowest on other forums. Hell if what was said on this forum was too offensive you wouldn't be seeing many women at keg parties or bars.

The whole reason really comes back to that women hate maps, and while some do like political discussion, they don't like the type on this site. Women want to discuss actual issues and their effects on things, not if black turnout increased in some county between 2000 and 2004 or what percentage of the white vote Obama needs to break 58.33% in some congressional district.

In retrospect that is likely true in that you would have to have female posters first before they would be chased away.  FTR, I don't really care about the lack of female posters because that is not a reason I drop in on the board.  Further, I don't mind the who is hot threads or off colour humour (within reason)I'm spit balling ideas on why the dearth of female posters. I think I was right on a few things and probably wrong on others. This forum does have some young demographics though. I have some t-shirts older than some of the posters.  This isn't a bad thing and were I bron a generation earlier I would be on here.  I just turned 30 a few months ago and this palce does feel like Logan;s Run sometimes:)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2008, 06:08:53 AM »

This may be "sexist" but women (especially girls) are, on average, less interested in politics. And they're also, on average, less nerdy. And they're definitely, on average, a LOT less interested in the kind of politics that is often discussed here (what Idaho county trended Republican the most compared to national average from 1888 to 1964 and so on).

And, of course, as the forum is so heavily dominated by males it becomes less attractive for women.

We should just be glad that there are a few and hope that "some people" don't scare them away by hitting on them too much. Tongue 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies