Are write in votes now accepted? What did I miss?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:23:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Are write in votes now accepted? What did I miss?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are write in votes now accepted? What did I miss?  (Read 1305 times)
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 23, 2004, 06:34:29 AM »

I'm not able to get on the forum all that much, so I realize it's very possible (and likely) that I missed something.  Also, new laws get passed, old laws are revised, etc.

But are write in votes for someone who has not declared their candadacy now accepted here?  I remember how M beat Harry by write in votes months ago, but Harry still won b/c write ins were not accepted; they were considered wasted votes b/c they didn't count--for a candidate to win an election (so I was told), they had to be declared candidates.

Now people who were not declared candidates have won races by write in votes.  Would someone mind telling me when the rules changed?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 07:01:45 AM »

During that very dispute.
We decided that write-ins would be legal, as long as the person written-in actually wanted the job and had said so. M hadn't been around for quite a while back then and didn't vote in those elections. StevenNick won election in a write-in campaign on the same day.
But read the CES thread, too - write-ins might get abolished.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 10:36:06 AM »

We decided that write-ins would be legal, as long as the person written-in actually wanted the job and had said so.

Does that mean I didn't lose?

*blank look*
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 10:52:02 AM »

We decided that write-ins would be legal, as long as the person written-in actually wanted the job and had said so.

*blank look*

I doubt it, PBrunsel does want the job and has said it, I think that may have been shown by him writing in himself.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 10:57:34 AM »

*blank look*

I doubt it, PBrunsel does want the job and has said it, I think that may have been shown by him writing in himself.

He never actually declared, though.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 05:52:39 AM »

Exactly.  Last I heard from him, he wasn't sure if he wanted to be governor or not.  If he was never sure he wanted the job, and never declared his candidacy, should the write in votes count for him?
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 07:57:56 AM »

I think ILikeVerin would be foolish to challenge PBrunsels election based on this, and I hope he doesn't do it.  PBrunsel obviously wants the job, has made an accceptance speech and everything, and his user name is currently Governor-Elect PBrunsel.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 09:11:46 AM »

I think ILikeVerin would be foolish to challenge PBrunsels election based on this, and I hope he doesn't do it.  PBrunsel obviously wants the job, has made an accceptance speech and everything, and his user name is currently Governor-Elect PBrunsel.

If he wanted the job, he should've declared his candidacy.  Or at least said something to the effect of, "yes, I want to be governor," instead of waffling around without an answer everytime he was asked about it.

I think, because he never gave a public answer on whether or not he would run, his votes ought to be thrown out.

That would only be fair, especially since write ins didn't *use* to be accepted by this forum unless you were a declared candidate, which PBrunsel was not.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 09:30:01 AM »

Well, I strongly disagree.  What is the point of even having "write-in" on the ballot then?

PBrunsel did vote for himself, too.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004, 10:13:03 AM »

Well, I strongly disagree.  What is the point of even having "write-in" on the ballot then?

That was the point I used months ago, but nobody agreed with me then.  What happened?

I actually agree with you--write in's *should* be accepted and counted as valid.  If a person wins with write in votes, he should receive the position he was voted for.  However, as was explained to me, the constitution doesn't support write in votes unless the person has declared his/her candidacy, which (again) PBrunsel did not.  Therefore, he cannot be elected governor, unless we overlook the constitution in this one election.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 10:21:25 AM »

See the "Decisions of the Supreme Court" thread I just bumped up.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies