Congressional Method District with a twist
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:02:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Congressional Method District with a twist
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Congressional Method District with a twist  (Read 6548 times)
defe07

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 06, 2008, 04:41:16 PM »

I just thought about this the other day. Why not have the Maine-Nebraska system but with a modification? So, here it goes: each Congressional District wouldn't get 1 EV, but would get a weighed EV, with a minimum of 0.5 EV. Now in states with 3 EV, maybe divide the state into thirds (use legislative districts for example) and group them up and give each electoral district a minimum of 0.5 EV. I think this could help weed out the misrepresentation. Come up with some quota (1 EV per n number of people) or something. It's just an idea here. Thanks! Smiley
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 08:45:03 PM »

...Or you could get rid of the Electoral College. Why do you keep coming up with ridiculously complicated patches for it instead?
defe07

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 12:12:11 AM »

I don't know, maybe I like to strain my brain Tongue I would like for voters to be given 2 votes and they can vote for 2 candidates.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 03:59:12 PM »

I just thought about this the other day. Why not have the Maine-Nebraska system but with a modification? So, here it goes: each Congressional District wouldn't get 1 EV, but would get a weighed EV, with a minimum of 0.5 EV. Now in states with 3 EV, maybe divide the state into thirds (use legislative districts for example) and group them up and give each electoral district a minimum of 0.5 EV. I think this could help weed out the misrepresentation. Come up with some quota (1 EV per n number of people) or something. It's just an idea here. Thanks! Smiley
Historically, most States that have chosen electors by district popular vote have not used congressional districts.  For example, in 1789, voters in each of Delaware's 3 counties chose one elector.

Under such a scheme, Nebraska would be divided into 5 electoral districts.
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 06:32:17 PM »

Historically, most States that have chosen electors by district popular vote have not used congressional districts.  For example, in 1789, voters in each of Delaware's 3 counties chose one elector.

I like it, as long as the districts are not in anyway gerrymandered.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 12:05:58 AM »

That's the tricky part. Gerrymandering is inevitable unless there is a firm use of an external group to make the maps, such as used in IA.
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 01:53:54 AM »

That's the tricky part. Gerrymandering is inevitable unless there is a firm use of an external group to make the maps, such as used in IA.

I support using Independent Commissions drawing ALL districts. The commission would not have any data except population. Demographics such as age, race, voting trends/political affiliation would not be used. Entire counties should be kept in a district, except when the population is too large, then only 1 or 2 counties should be divided. Districts should have as close a population total as possible, I would suggest a 3% variable as being acceptable.
Districts should be drawn starting at one corner of a given state, and then working towards the opposite corner, that way, you eliminate the desire to break counties apart.
(example: Florida would start by drawing district 1 on the Panhandle and finish with the Keys or Miami in the final district; PA would start in Philly and end in Erie)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies