attention whore thread: college selection
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:25:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  attention whore thread: college selection
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: where should I go to college?  (estimated cost in parentheses)
Cornell University ($17500)

Stony Brook University Honors College ($1200)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: attention whore thread: college selection  (Read 5051 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2008, 10:51:41 PM »

Stony Brook. Odds are you'll drink the whole time and just drop out before graduating anyway so don't bother with the waste of money. And that's not an insult either, a majority of incoming college freshmen will NOT have graduated in 6 years (so for all the crap I get here, I still did better than half my incoming class.), so yeah it's a statistical fact, most people will not finish college so don't waste the money on some stupid private one.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2008, 10:52:45 PM »

Interesting, I am quite familiar with both schools.

Stony Brook
Pro: Cheap, good academics for a state school, can be flexible about requirements
Con: High in Student unhappiness, suitcase school, Long Island, Lots of distribution requirements

Cornell:
Pro: Ithaca, High name recognition, Has a very large number of programs, Cheap close off campus housing
Con: Expensive

Doesn't cornell have a high unhappiness level, a high suicide rate, or is that due to too much pressure more than depression?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2008, 10:53:27 PM »

Stony Brook. Odds are you'll drink the whole time and just drop out before graduating anyway so don't bother with the waste of money. And that's not an insult either, a majority of incoming college freshmen will NOT have graduated in 6 years (so for all the crap I get here, I still did better than half my incoming class.), so yeah it's a statistical fact, most people will not finish college so don't waste the money on some stupid private one.

Cornell really likes its students to graduate in 4 years. Stony Brook doesn't give a crap how long you take.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2008, 07:30:15 PM »

Cornell bettered my financial package so that it would cost be approximately $6500 to attend, making it significantly more likely that I will go there.  (btw I'd be attending the School of Industrial and Labor Relations)
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2008, 07:47:14 PM »

Good lord, $6,500 to attend an Ivy-League school?  I wish I was a New Yorker.  Take the deal man.  If the gap between the two was $50,000, I'd choose Stony Brook myself, but this is a few thousand bucks, easily overcome by the added prestige and Ivy-League education adds to your resume.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2008, 07:49:11 PM »

Worst advice I've seen yet in this thread.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2008, 07:53:44 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2008, 07:56:25 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

While Cornell ranks better than Stony Brook academically, the difference is probably less than you would think. Bullsh**t prestige and "connections" may be a different story.

In Cornell's favor, if you live off campus, the cost of living is relatively low, and so the difference in the cost of attendence is actually less than what you think it is.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2008, 11:35:55 PM »

Cornell bettered my financial package so that it would cost be approximately $6500 to attend, making it significantly more likely that I will go there.  (btw I'd be attending the School of Industrial and Labor Relations)

That said, don't lose the scholarship.  What are the requirements for it?  If you do then you'll really be screwed.  Please remember the academic gap between Cornell and a lot of high schools is HUGE and if you went to an average to subpar HS, you'll really have to work your ass off freshman year to catch up to peers from wealthier/more prestigious districts or prep schools.  A lot of 18-19 year olds don't have the maturity and don't be insulted but based on some of your posts I don't think you do.  I sure as hell didn't either at your age.  I'm saying this because again I fell hard on my ass at Lehigh.  But $6500 over 4 years (am I wrong?) is not bad.  Does that include housing and food?  If it does than it's a hell of a deal.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2008, 02:01:49 PM »

Great...more posts. Going to have to edit the audio commentary now Sad

Smiley
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2008, 02:09:11 PM »

I probably would've gone to a SUNY school if I was doing it again.

Now that I'm here, I'm staying here though.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2008, 02:15:36 PM »

For the record, what is a SUNY school?
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2008, 02:18:25 PM »

For the record, what is a SUNY school?

State University of New York.
(New York's Public College/Uni System)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2008, 02:34:23 PM »

I have a two friends at Cornell, and one says it's a pretty depressing place. The other transfered after first semester as he couldn't take it. He got depressed and lost tons of weight. I read the suicide and depression rate is one of the highest and Ithaca stays frozen 3/4 of the year. I know nothing about Stony Brook, though.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2008, 02:40:17 PM »

I went to at a public institution in Florida for the same reasons Tweed would. I recommend it.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2008, 05:36:02 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2008, 05:39:05 PM by Boris »

Where are you guys getting the info that Cornell has a high suicide rate? I did a cursory web search and found this MIT article from 2000:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www-tech.mit.edu/V120/N6/comp6.6n.html

another article from April 2006 that shows the Cornell suicide rate well below the national average.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2008, 08:29:17 PM »

Agreed.

Tweed, I would say Stony Brook; Cornell is probably a bit too dour and engineeringy for you (but I'm not sure what you want to do).
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2008, 08:33:54 PM »

Agreed.

Tweed, I would say Stony Brook; Cornell is probably a bit too dour and engineeringy for you (but I'm not sure what you want to do).

I would be attending the School of Industrial and Labor Relations which is pure social science (and is only about 800 students large)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2008, 08:42:20 PM »

Are you surprised?

Now that you have that scholarship, I'd say Cornell by a long shot.  I would have said Cornell anyway, but now that it's cheap, definitely go for it.  Names will get you far in life.

Uhh.. if you're a working class guy like me then.. no.  I would have been swamped in debt had I stayed at Lehigh with similar career prospects to what I have now.  Names are only good if you're already sitting at the table and you don't have to pay for it.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2008, 08:42:35 PM »

Agreed.

I would be attending the School of Industrial and Labor Relations which is pure social science (and is only about 800 students large)

Oh, good.  Unusual program, from what I recall, but if it's what you're interested in it'll be a good thing.  Still, you'll be surrounded by lots of engineers... in the dorms, in the cafeteria halls, in the ceilings!  Not to mention... what if you decide you hate all the stupid labor unions and never want to talk about them again?  You'll need to transfer into Cornell's somewhat subpar College of Arts & Sciences or equivalent, filled with students who went to Cornell because it was the only Ivy they were accepted to.

Of course, all this is based on stereotypes, fearmongering, and dislike of stringent distribution requirements/core curricula (which meant I did no research of Cornell beyond the fact they like forcing students to take classes the students hate).  Really, neither of us should be posting these kind of threads at all, and deciding which college to go to based on Zen meditation or something.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2008, 08:43:28 PM »

Where are you guys getting the info that Cornell has a high suicide rate? I did a cursory web search and found this MIT article from 2000:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www-tech.mit.edu/V120/N6/comp6.6n.html

another article from April 2006 that shows the Cornell suicide rate well below the national average.

Perhaps the suicides tend to be gruesome given the nature of Cornell's campus...people jumping off bridges into gorges etc...thus you just hear about it from that school more.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2008, 08:45:19 PM »

they aren't requiring me to take a foreign language nor really take any type of lab-science which is all I care about.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2008, 08:55:42 PM »

Do you want to go to graduate school or law/med school? If so, I'd go with the cheaper option, and then get thousands of dollars of debt when you go to grad school.

But Cornell is a really good school, and it would be hard to turn that down. Plus, Ithaca is amazing.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2008, 09:46:19 PM »

That said, don't lose the scholarship.  What are the requirements for it?  If you do then you'll really be screwed.  Please remember the academic gap between Cornell and a lot of high schools is HUGE and if you went to an average to subpar HS, you'll really have to work your ass off freshman year to catch up to peers from wealthier/more prestigious districts or prep schools.  A lot of 18-19 year olds don't have the maturity and don't be insulted but based on some of your posts I don't think you do.  I sure as hell didn't either at your age.  I'm saying this because again I fell hard on my ass at Lehigh.  But $6500 over 4 years (am I wrong?) is not bad.  Does that include housing and food?  If it does than it's a hell of a deal.

most of it is not scholarship but rather guaranteed financial aid.  the the 6500 figure does include room & board.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2008, 04:15:22 PM »

it is going to be Cornell University School of Industrial and Labor Relations.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2008, 04:16:38 PM »

Yay!!!

Awesome!!

Rin-chan
Pages: 1 [2] 3