Is Texas "Southern" or "Southwestern" or both/niether?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:43:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Is Texas "Southern" or "Southwestern" or both/niether?
Southern

Southwestern

Both

Niether

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Is Texas "Southern" or "Southwestern" or both/niether?  (Read 2627 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 06, 2008, 08:23:07 PM »

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 08:24:12 PM »

I'd say both.  My uncle is from Dallas, and he considers himself to be from the South.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 08:24:36 PM »

"Both and more" is the only reasonable answer, IMHO.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 08:25:23 PM »

Sam Spade would be the authority to ask....

From what I heard, East Texas is more southern, while the rest of the state is more southwestern, which would make sense geographically.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 08:25:41 PM »

Both.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 08:33:45 PM »

depends on which part of the state you're referring to
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 09:05:56 PM »

Depends. East Texas is definitely (Deep) Southern. West and South Texas is South-Western. Northern Texas is fairly similar to Oklahoma and Kansas.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 09:34:53 PM »

Depends. East Texas is definitely (Deep) Southern. West and South Texas is South-Western. Northern Texas is fairly similar to Oklahoma and Kansas.

This is decently accurate.  Of course, it's a lot more complicated than that.

Then again, what is the Austin/German areas of the state under this configuration...
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 11:20:53 PM »

Niether.  Texas is Texas.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 11:26:13 PM »

The only accurate description in my opinion.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 05:42:54 AM »

It really marks the distinct point where the South hits the Southwest.  Regional classification terms probably have more blurred lines than most classifiers due to the arbitrary nature of drawing fake political lines over geographic territories (people fight and die for these lines though, so whatever).

I say, come up with a key list of standards for the idea of the defining state.  If a state meets some of the classifiers it could still be considered Southern (just like a sex change person could be considered a woman or a non-knobby door handlething could be called a doorknob), just possibly less so.

For Southern we have things like:
*Population speaks with a Southern accent
*Fought for the Confederacy
*Considers themselves Southern, ex-Cotton economies
 *Geographically in that area
*Cultural ideas that come with being "Southern" - actually liking breakfast and suggesting to your friends that you get breakfast with them, eating biscuits & gravy, enjoying NASCAR etc.

For the Southwest we have things like:
*High Hispanic population
*Arid climate
*Geographically in the Southwest, territory acquired during the Mexican-American war especially
*Etc?  The Southwest is a surprisingly diverse place filled with a diverse group of potential ciites like LA and Las Vegas and Salt Lake City.

Anyway, I think it's pretty clear that Texas is roughly a 85-100% fit for both of these categories.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 08:00:37 AM »

Neither.  Texas is Texas, and they will tell you.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 10:43:53 AM »

The Far East is South. From Houston on westwards it's both. And the Rio Grande Valley is in Aztlán.

Also, obviously, what Lunar said in his second sentence.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 11:09:34 AM »

Also acceptable in my mind.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 08:51:43 PM »

That works for Texas as a whole. Really, Texas is Three States. Big Bend, from the coast to El Paso is a lot like the Southwest. The panhandle (and down into the border of Austin) is the "Southern Planes" and the rest of Texas is the south.

Although, Dallas is pretty conservative for such a big city. I wonder why. Also Houston. Totally bucks demographic tradition. Then again, just could be a lot of self-interested rich people and people who don't realise that they're poor. Then again, that's typical of the South and  de-centralized "cult towns". 
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 09:32:33 PM »

That works for Texas as a whole. Really, Texas is Three States. Big Bend, from the coast to El Paso is a lot like the Southwest. The panhandle (and down into the border of Austin) is the "Southern Planes" and the rest of Texas is the south.

Although, Dallas is pretty conservative for such a big city. I wonder why. Also Houston. Totally bucks demographic tradition. Then again, just could be a lot of self-interested rich people and people who don't realise that they're poor. Then again, that's typical of the South and  de-centralized "cult towns". 

Actually, Dallas is a pretty liberal city.  It goes quite heavily Democratic in most elections.  It is far more liberal than other big cities near it, say, Houston or Oklahoma City or San Antonio.

I consider Texas to be Texas, but I also consider everything west of the I-35 Corridor (west of I-35W in Fort Worth) to be the Southwest, while everything east of I-35 and I-35E to be Southeast.  As far as the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex where I live, it is both and neither at the same time.  It is Texas.

Oklahoma is even more in question of which geographical region it lies in, because from I-35 west, it is Southwest, from I-35 East and I-40 South, It is Southeast.  From I-35 East and I-40 North, it is Midwest.  It is also in the Southern Plains from US-412 (Woodward-Enid-Tulsa) and points south and the Central Plains from US-412 and points north to I-80 in Southern Nebraska.  The panhandle out east toward Alva in eastern Woods County is High Plains.  The Ozarks begin around Vinita, Oklahoma (I-44 halfway between Tulsa and Joplin) and go all the way up toward St Louis, Missouri.

Both Oklahoma and Texas have an identity crisis in terms of where it lies.  Really, Kansas has that same id crisis, too.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 09:38:04 PM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 10:44:08 PM »

Actually, Dallas is a pretty liberal city.  It goes quite heavily Democratic in most elections.  It is far more liberal than other big cities near it, say, Houston or Oklahoma City or San Antonio.

I consider Texas to be Texas, but I also consider everything west of the I-35 Corridor (west of I-35W in Fort Worth) to be the Southwest, while everything east of I-35 and I-35E to be Southeast.  As far as the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex where I live, it is both and neither at the same time.  It is Texas.

Oklahoma is even more in question of which geographical region it lies in, because from I-35 west, it is Southwest, from I-35 East and I-40 South, It is Southeast.  From I-35 East and I-40 North, it is Midwest.  It is also in the Southern Plains from US-412 (Woodward-Enid-Tulsa) and points south and the Central Plains from US-412 and points north to I-80 in Southern Nebraska.  The panhandle out east toward Alva in eastern Woods County is High Plains.  The Ozarks begin around Vinita, Oklahoma (I-44 halfway between Tulsa and Joplin) and go all the way up toward St Louis, Missouri.

Both Oklahoma and Texas have an identity crisis in terms of where it lies.  Really, Kansas has that same id crisis, too.

But Texas should sorta be more than one state. This is how I see it.

What is interesting is how conservative Amarillo is. It went 80% for Bush in a city of 200000. I wonder how that works out.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 10:45:34 PM »

Bexar County would probably be included in the Southwestern section.

Also, I like the independent Austin region. Grin
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2008, 10:54:00 PM »

You know, Texas was once just that Southern peice...but what extended during 1844.

The states should be named-

Austin- Capital: Austin
Texas- Capital:  Dallas
Rio Grande- Capital: El Paso
Kiowa- Capital: Lubbock
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2008, 11:33:52 AM »

Ok everyone stop fantasizing about carving up my state, having lived in both Dallas and currently Austin, the most conservative and liberal alike consider themselves Texans one in the same.

The answer is either both or something by itself.

And Dallas is conservative, hands down, if you live there you know that, the inner city areas my vote close to the democratic norm, but Dallas is thoroughly DOMINATED by its suburbs, more than any other city I've ever seen.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2008, 11:37:33 AM »

Ok everyone stop fantasizing about carving up my state, having lived in both Dallas and currently Austin, the most conservative and liberal alike consider themselves Texans one in the same.

And Dallas is conservative, hands down, if you live there you know that, the inner city areas my vote close to the democratic norm, but Dallas is thoroughly DOMINATED by its suburbs, more than any other city I've ever seen.

The key question here to ask is whether you are talking about the City of Dallas, Dallas County or the DFW Metroplex - because they all deserve different answers.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2008, 11:44:05 AM »

The key question here to ask is whether you are talking about the City of Dallas, Dallas County or the DFW Metroplex - because they all deserve different answers.

Democrat politics is smothered by the DFW Airport suburbs.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2008, 05:16:52 PM »

Racist, hate-filled, anti-intellectual, violent, nationalistic.  Yeah, its the same as the South.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2008, 08:50:52 PM »

Racist, hate-filled, anti-intellectual, violent, nationalistic.  Yeah, its the same as the South.

Are you sure you are talking about an American people? That sounds more like the Mahdi Army.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies