Is Texas "Southern" or "Southwestern" or both/niether? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:06:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is Texas "Southern" or "Southwestern" or both/niether? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is Texas "Southern" or "Southwestern" or both/niether?
Southern

Southwestern

Both

Niether

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Is Texas "Southern" or "Southwestern" or both/niether?  (Read 2660 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« on: April 07, 2008, 09:32:33 PM »

That works for Texas as a whole. Really, Texas is Three States. Big Bend, from the coast to El Paso is a lot like the Southwest. The panhandle (and down into the border of Austin) is the "Southern Planes" and the rest of Texas is the south.

Although, Dallas is pretty conservative for such a big city. I wonder why. Also Houston. Totally bucks demographic tradition. Then again, just could be a lot of self-interested rich people and people who don't realise that they're poor. Then again, that's typical of the South and  de-centralized "cult towns". 

Actually, Dallas is a pretty liberal city.  It goes quite heavily Democratic in most elections.  It is far more liberal than other big cities near it, say, Houston or Oklahoma City or San Antonio.

I consider Texas to be Texas, but I also consider everything west of the I-35 Corridor (west of I-35W in Fort Worth) to be the Southwest, while everything east of I-35 and I-35E to be Southeast.  As far as the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex where I live, it is both and neither at the same time.  It is Texas.

Oklahoma is even more in question of which geographical region it lies in, because from I-35 west, it is Southwest, from I-35 East and I-40 South, It is Southeast.  From I-35 East and I-40 North, it is Midwest.  It is also in the Southern Plains from US-412 (Woodward-Enid-Tulsa) and points south and the Central Plains from US-412 and points north to I-80 in Southern Nebraska.  The panhandle out east toward Alva in eastern Woods County is High Plains.  The Ozarks begin around Vinita, Oklahoma (I-44 halfway between Tulsa and Joplin) and go all the way up toward St Louis, Missouri.

Both Oklahoma and Texas have an identity crisis in terms of where it lies.  Really, Kansas has that same id crisis, too.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies