Is your State House district's shape reasonable?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:00:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is your State House district's shape reasonable?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is your State House district's shape reasonable?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 16

Author Topic: Is your State House district's shape reasonable?  (Read 3012 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 11, 2008, 11:39:20 PM »

Generally yes:

http://www.commissions.leg.state.mn.us/gis/html/l2002/pdf/59b.pdf

I don't know why it includes that little jut out to the west but there's nothing there but water anyway. No point in drawing ridiculous districts in Minneapolis since drawing a map where every district would NOT be super-safe DFL is impossible, and no point in racial gerrymandering since the blacks all live in one area, and the Hispanics are too spread out and there isn't even enough of them for a district anyway (though I wouldn't be surprised if an Asian-majority district is drawn in St. Paul after next census.)

Minnesota's worst district is probably the one where Colin goes to school:

http://www.commissions.leg.state.mn.us/gis/html/l2002/pdf/25b.pdf
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 12:51:11 AM »
« Edited: April 12, 2008, 12:53:20 AM by HO HO HO CHI MINH THE NLF IS GONNA WIN! »

My district is kind of similar. It combines a very affluent area (that island), a largely blue-collar working-class area and a mostly college student area, all of which have little in common with each other on paper, but all vote the same way, so it makes no difference.

Haha, just looked it up. The precinct that contains that island voted over 77% for Kerry, despite being lily-white and affluent.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 12:57:12 AM »

Yes (too lazy to find a map). It covers much of wetsern Silicon Valley, which fits well together.

My State Senate district, on the other hand, is horrendous. I get represented by a guy in Southern California.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 01:19:49 AM »

Yes, it is the same district that is used federally. This time, I'll post a map though,

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 03:20:53 AM »

pretty decent actually

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 04:06:31 AM »
« Edited: April 12, 2008, 07:38:50 AM by La Revolucióncita »

No.

It wouldn't be at all problematic to split 35 and 36 along north-south lines instead. Which incidentally would make the southern district (which would include more of the old, marginally christian democratic 36) social-democratic and the northern district marginally christian democratic.

Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 06:38:02 AM »

Mine is the same as the federal riding.

In France, the 2 cantons of Saint-Malo are ok, though Saint-Malo-Sud looks funny.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 10:08:27 AM »

Yes.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 10:11:27 AM »
« Edited: April 12, 2008, 10:17:35 AM by Htmldon, voted most partisan member 3 years in a row! »

Mine is square-ish Smiley

I would like to submit a district for the most unreasonable shape

HD80 is designed to elect an African-American rep in rural west TN by including black areas of Jackson and Bolivar without infringing on Jimmy Naifeh's voters in Haywood county.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 10:56:56 AM »

State Assembly District:

http://www.calvoter.org/voter/maps/assembly/AD22.pdf

State Senate District (yuck!):

http://www.calvoter.org/voter/maps/senate/SD15.pdf

Isn't that horrible? I live by Saratoga, at the very top. Senator Abel Maldonado lives in Santa Maria, at the very bottom.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 11:06:31 AM »

http://nodis.csuohio.edu/nodis/2000reports/maps/oh_houNsen1105/house47.pdf

I think it's fairly ugly, but it's cohesive and it makes sense, including mostly the outer portions of Toledo and similar areas. This ensures a Democrat. It obviously stops just short of Ottawa Hills too, which is amusing. I don't know how to vote.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 11:49:24 AM »

Auburn city-Democrat 55-45
Bangor township 55-45 (D)
Bay City city 65-35 (D)
Beaver township 50-50
Essexville city 60-40 (D)
Frankenlust township 65-35 (R)
Hampton township 50-50
Merritt township 55-45 (R)
Midland city (part) 55-45 (R)
Monitor township 50-50
Portsmouth township 55-45 (R)
Williams township 60-40 (R)

Represented by the popular populist Jeff Mayes (D)
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 11:59:33 AM »

(PA-130, held by David R. Kessler (D))

S'alright. Actually, the unusual edges are the result of an ancient gerrymander to make this a democratic stronghold. The area flipped over to Republican and was modified slightly by the Republicans to keep it relatively safe (53-47 or so). I doubt it will flip this year, or that it will be changed any time soon. Very similar to the current standing of our congressman Tim Holden (D) who holds a 55-45 district.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2008, 12:01:17 PM »

Compared to the surrounding, gerrymandered districts? Absolutely.

Behold my bunny...

I'm at the northern tip of the 65th.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 01:08:49 PM »

Mine is just fine... even though it's about 40% water.

http://www.commissions.leg.state.mn.us/gis/html/l2002/pdf/04a.pdf
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2008, 01:12:08 PM »

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/House_109_30688_7.pdf

I'd say so.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2008, 02:18:24 PM »

Alright on balance. Ideally it should pick up a couple of towns along the coast (east) from Aberconwy. It's basically the district council boundaries of the '70's, '80's and early '90's.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2008, 06:39:07 PM »

Yes.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/GIS/Redistricting/District_Plans/2003/House/House_Redistricting_Plan/distSimple56.pdf?PlanName=House_Redistricting_Plan*House
Kevinstat

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2008, 11:43:15 PM »
« Edited: December 27, 2008, 11:43:43 AM by Kevinstat »

My district looks kind of ugly, although one of the protrusions (Vienna) isn't as bad when you consider the only towns it borders on any kind of main road (or any non-dirt road, I believe) are Mount Vernon, Chesterville and New Sharon (and Chesterville and New Sharon are in a different county than Vienna, although they were in the same House district for 20 years before the 2003 redistricting).  Readfield could have been in the same district as Belgrade, Fayette, Mount Vernon and Vienna and Manchester in the same district as Winthrop, and to get from Manchester to any other town in the district except for Belgrade you're likely to drive trough a lot of Readfield.  That would also made put both House districts entirely within one Senate district, whereas they are now both divided between the same two Senate districts (interestingly, Manchester and Readfield had all the same districts from the 1983 redistricting until the 2003 redistricting, and shared a ballot form during that period at least from my first election as a voter in 2000 on).  That would have made the Winthrop district 3.01% on the large side rather than only 1.76% overpopulated, and it would have made the district including Belgrade, Fayette, Mount Vernon and Vienna 1.32% on the small side rather than only 1.08% on the large side, but both districts would still have been well within an acceptable range.

Some the worst shaped Maine Legislative districts are House District 91, Senate District 30 (dominated by Orono and Old Town near the southern end of the district, and represented by a hysterical woman from Orono), and my personal favorite, House District 65, which consists of Woolwich, the remainder of Bath (which also has one whole district), part of West Bath, the remainder of Brunswick (which has two whole districts), and the remainder of Topsham (which has one whole district).  Based on Brunswick's 2000 census State House "quota" of 2.5076, about half the district's population is probably there, but Woolwich is the municipality with the next largest population in the district (with 33.28% of an ideal district's population as of the 2000 census) and there may be a perception that the two representatives Brunswick is guaranteed to have is enough, and the district has been represented by a Democrat from Woolwich (whose first term was pre-redistricting) since it's creation for the 2004 elections and all three candidates running in the district so far are from Woolwich.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2008, 11:48:01 PM »

Mine (37) is okay. Its neighbors (38 in particular, but also the discontiguous 28), not so much.

Kevinstat

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2008, 11:54:22 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2008, 09:06:07 AM by Kevinstat »

Do the two sections of House District 28 border each other by any stretch of the imagination, or is there an actual boundary (and more than a corner boundary, particularly if it goes across dry land but even if it doesn't) between House Districts 27 and 34 (and between House Districts 27 and 40 and between House Districts 40 and 34, to rule out any connection between the two otherwise discontiguous sections of House District 28)?  If House District 28 is really discontiguous, that's quite something.  Do presently prevailing Supreme Court rulings even allow that?  They might, I'm not sure.  But I wasn't aware of there being any legislative districts that had two or more completely discontiguous sections (the same for Congressional districts although there probably aren't any such districts at that level; I doubt the Supreme Court would allow that).
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2008, 12:19:17 AM »

For the most part.  It's basically the northeastern corner of the county.

http://www.latfor.state.ny.us/maps/propassem/fa001.pdf
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies