Rank the issues
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:50:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Rank the issues
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rank the issues  (Read 1409 times)
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 13, 2008, 01:28:50 AM »
« edited: April 13, 2008, 04:11:11 PM by Rainbow Princess Tik »

Rank the following by order of importance. Some will be broader in scope than others, obviously. Perhaps also state the reason and whether it is socially or economically more important to you.

Foreign policy
Education
Health care
Economy
Infrastructure
Environment
Religion
Ethics
Taxes and spending
Immigration
Social programs
Civil rights
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 01:59:44 AM »

Taxes and spending-less of both thank you
Ethics-we're doing a sh**tty job as a country in ensuring our elected officials have this and it's leading us in the wrong direction
Foreign policy-more severe relationships with nations that don't have good human rights records
Infrastructure
Immigration-more legal, less/no illegal.  We should let more guest workers in as needed.  We also need to do a lot more in protecting the border from illegal crossings.  Also, birthright citizenship should be stopped.

The rest of these are things the govt shouldn't normally be involved in.  I've ranked them in order of relevance to the state:

Economy-the state should be much more hands off than it is now, but of all these, it's the one the govt has the best excuse to stick their dick in.
Environment-the govt should punish people and businesses that pollute.  Pollution harms us all and the punishments for it, I feel, aren't normally strong enough.  There is no excuse for a company to dump waste into a stream or a person to toss a gum wrapper out the window.  Both entities should be punished more severely than they traditionally have been.
Education
Health care
Social programs
Religion
Civil rights
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 02:34:57 PM »

Education--Extremely important.  This is the foundation of our society.

Health care-- Extremely important.  We need world class health care for all, regardless of ability to pay.

Infrastructure-- Extremely important.  We need major investments in high-tech alternatives to keep our economy going like a well oiled machine (ha, the irony)

Environment--  We should conserve and restore our natural resources and use them wisely and in a sustainable way.  Use non-renewable sources only for emergency purposes.

Foreign policy--  It is important that we maintain good relations with allies and encourage democracy and human rights through diplomacy and peace keeping efforts in unstable areas.

Economy--  The government needs to keep a more fiscally sound approach to the economy.  It should save up reserves for tough times, providing aid to the unemployed.  We also need to keep interest rates reasonable to curb inflation.

Social Programs--  A society is only as strong as its most vulnerable.  We need social programs to ensure that all have access to a minimal standard of living.  Working and taking part in society should be encouraged even if it is volunteer work that the government pays for.  For the sick and disabled and those with children (single mothers), aid should be a no-brainer.  You should never be punished for being disabled.

Taxes and Spending-- Income taxes on individuals and businesses should be the main sources of revenue and they should be progressive.  The inheritance tax should be relatively high.  Taxes on profits should relatively high to encourage spending profits on more investment into your business.  Tax credits could be offered to business owners' personal income to partially make up for lost profits being invested in the company.

Civil Rights-- Equal rights for all.  No government entity or business offering services to the public should be allowed to discriminate based on race, religion, sexuality, gender, etc.  Your personal opinion is just that, your personal opinion.  The government should abstain from any preferences, but should seek to treat every person with the dignity that they deserve regardless of their lifestyle or skin color.

Religion-- Religion should be completely separated from the government.  The government can certainly call out holidays to celebrate the culture of Americans, but should never impose any rules regarding religion.  It is okay to sanction a day to honor our fallen veterans, but not to celebrate Ramadan or Christmas.  Schools should be able to give Christmas, etc. off simply for the fact that it is practical to do so; who is going to attend school on a religious holiday?

Ethics-- Honest government is very important.  Strict rules should be made to curb business lobbyists.  Any donations should be made purely by individuals and not by businesses.

Immigration-- Is important, but not the most pressing issue.  We need to protect our borders in order to prevent terrorist attacks and drug trafficking, but at the same time we need to simplify and ease our legal immigration process.  Anybody that wants to come to the U.S. and work and start a new life here should be able to do so without placing a higher standard upon them than we would upon naturalized citizens.

A knowledge of English is certainly important, but the government should not impose any language requirements on itself.  If a local government decides to print all papers in English, then it must provide translators for people who cannot speak English.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 03:30:24 PM »

Civil rights
Economy
Education
Healthcare
Infrastructure
Environment
Ethics
Religion
Foreign Policy
Taxes
Immigration
Social Programs

I believe the greatest threats to our national security and our welfare is the disunity of our people and our softening comparitive advantage in high-paying fields.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 04:09:01 PM »

1.  Health Care
2.  Education
3.  Enviroment
4.  Social Programs
5.  Civil Rights
6.  Foreign Policy
7.  Infrastructure
8.  Economy
9.  Taxes and spending
10. Ethics
11. Immigration
12. Religion
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 04:22:55 PM »

1) Environment
2) Education
3) Health care
4) Foreign policy
5) Social programs
6) Economy
7) Immigration
8. Infrastructure
9) Civil rights
10) Ethics
11) Immigration
12) Taxes and spending
13) Religion
Friz
thad_l
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: -9.74

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 04:28:08 PM »

Civil Rights
Economy
Health care
Taxes and Spending
Infrastructure
Ethics
Foreign policy
Environment
Education
Immigration
Social programs
Religion
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 01:14:16 PM »

Foreign policy
Education
Health care
Environment
Immigration
Religion
Ethics
Taxes and spending
Social programs
Civil rights
Economy
Infrastructure
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 01:44:47 PM »

Environment
Education
Health care
Infrastructure
Foreign policy
Social programs
Economy
Civil rights
Immigration
Taxes and spending
Ethics
Religion
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 03:33:41 PM »

1. Environment
2. Education
3. Foreign policy
4. Religion
5. Immigration
6. Ethics
7. Economy
8. Health care
9. Social programs
10. Taxes and spending
11. Civil rights
12. Infrastructure
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 09:00:26 PM »

I'm saddened how little so many of you care about ethics.  Not shocked mind you, you are Democrats after all, but saddened.
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 10:39:15 PM »

Individual (Civil) Rights - I'll change this slightly. Civil Rights has so frequently referred to the rights of minority groups that I'd prefer a different word. The individual rights of all people, minority or majority, concern me. If the government has any job at all, it is to insure individual freedom is respected and upheld; mostly this is accomplished by the govt. staying out of private enterprise and private relations. In particular (for me) that means an end to drug prohibition and a roll back of govt. programs.

Ethics - If you can't trust your representatives, you're in trouble.

Taxes and spending - I would like to see a reduction of the federal government's overall scope. We need to set priorities on what the government needs to do and leave the things it doesn't to the private sector.   

Foreign policy - Less foreign intervention. No more endless war. The US is a world power and it cannot return to isolationism, however we need not over extend ourselves.

Economy - Less government intervention. Not the primary domain of government.

Immigration - Against illegal immigration. We need to make it easier for people to get in legally, even as temporary workers. Everyone here needs to be documented and needs to be paying taxes if they want to want benefit from what the US has to offer. Those who are illegal and those who employ them need to be punished. Deport anyone who is an illegal alien or give them a chance for amnesty, but no more limbo status.

Education - I believe in basic public education, in other words I'm not for the overthrow of the status quo here. I would like to see less federal involvement in state curriculum however. For that matter less state involvement in the choices of local communities. Homeschool should be an option for anyone who chooses it.

Health care - not the domain of the government.

Social programs - some social programs are needed, I want to see reform rather than abolition.

Environment - punishment for polluters should be extremely stiff, in order to raise revenue for communities that negligent companies/individuals harm.

Infrastructure - the current system of roads and public transport should remain largely as is.

Religion - has no place in government or in my life for that matter.
frihetsivrare
Volksliberalist

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -7.13

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 11:40:20 PM »

Economy- government should keep currency strong, less intervention everywhere else

Ethics- If people trust bad representatives, they are in deep trouble.  Things can change if people do not trust the government.

Foreign policy- no intervention anywhere in the world unless this country is attacked.  Only attack the people who attacked us.

Taxes and spending- sharp spending cuts, eventual elimination of federal income tax

Education- public education until high school, then public-private in college

Immigration- help make Latin America and Asia better to slow illegal immigration, enforce all current immigration law

Social programs- slowly wane people off of social programs, great cause of American government debt

Health care- not the business of the government, I don't trust government enough to handle my health care

Environment- I support clean-burning fuels, oppose GMO and carbon taxes

Infrastructure- current system is good

Religion- don't care, but let people worship as they wish without physically hurting others
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 11:40:40 PM »

I'm saddened how little so many of you care about ethics.  Not shocked mind you, you are Democrats after all, but saddened.
My ethics are that the ends justify the means, and therefore if such issues as the economy, civil rights, health care, etc. are managed properly, any further talk of ethics is nearly irrelevant.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 02:00:49 AM »

My ethics are that the ends justify the means, and therefore if such issues as the economy, civil rights, health care, etc. are managed properly, any further talk of ethics is nearly irrelevant.
Like I said, saddened, but not shocked.  I guess I should be thankfull integrity wasn't on the list.
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 02:45:53 AM »

How are far are you willing to take that?
jeron
Netherlands
Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -7.48

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 03:11:30 AM »

I don't think Republicans really care more about ethics, they only pretend they do.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 06:30:30 AM »

I'm not suggesting they do.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 07:23:03 PM »

1. Education: The foundation for everything else. If kids get a good education, then America can progress and we can grow.

2. Environment: The state of the environment is horrific. Changes are needed now.

3. Healthcare: People can't just die because they didn't have enough money. Universal Health Care!

4. Ethics: Clean, transparent government is very important. Too much money is being wasted through earmarks and corruption.

5. Civil rights: If people don't have equality, and if we cannot get past our differences, the country will quickly fall to pieces.

6. Economy: The state of the economy is appalling. The government can't do much now, but we need to cut spending on "defense."

7. Foreign Policy: Diplomacy, peace, good judgment. We can't just go into war these days. We need to stop these stupid missions around the world. Money is being sucked away for war.

8. Immigration: Immigrants need a way to get into the country and become citizens. It takes too long for people to become citizens in this country. We also need to help Latin America because it is in a very poor state, which is why so many Latinos are coming to America.

9. Infrastructure: Let's build better transportation across the country particularly in the railroads, so that we can use less oil. Green infrastructure!

10. Taxes: Let's try to keep them low by cutting spending on the war and corruption.

11. Religion: Does it matter in government? Keep church and state separate!

12. Social Programs: Maybe we should get rid of welfare, but most social programs are okay.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2008, 08:39:25 PM »

How are far are you willing to take that?
Far enough.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies