Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2014, 12:54:37 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Presidential Election Trends (Moderators: Mr. Morden, Bacon King)
| | |-+  Pataki 2008?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Pataki 2008?  (Read 7258 times)
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2004, 08:51:11 pm »
Ignore

PATAKI EYEING PREZ BID IN 2008
By FREDRIC U. DICKER

"August 23, 2004 -- Gov. Pataki, who will introduce President Bush at the Republican National Convention next week, may run for president himself in 2008, sources said yesterday.
One source quoted William Plunkett, a prominent Westchester lawyer and one of the governor's oldest friends, as confiding that Pataki "is definitely thinking" about running for president in 2008.

"He says this thing about the presidency is real," the source told The Post.

And Newsweek, quoting an unnamed source, reported that the governor recently huddled with longtime advisors Arthur Finkelstein and Charles Gargano to discuss a potential presidential run in 2008.

Aides to the governor have long promoted Pataki as a presidential candidate.

They did so during the 1996 GOP convention just two years after he defeated Democratic Gov. Mario Cuomo and again in early in 2000, when Pataki conducted a whirlwind national speaking tour aimed at testing the presidential waters.

Newsweek noted that Pataki has been raising funds for President Bush across the country in recent months, and quoted a Pataki adviser as saying, "He's going to be moving around the country and whatever that leads to, it leads to." Many state and national Republicans contend that Pataki's strong support for abortion and gay rights, strict gun control, state-run public utilities, rent control and ever-growing state spending and borrowing would make him unattractive to GOP core voters.

"Pataki would have many obstacles to overcome, but he has political skills and fund-raising abilities in his favor," said longtime Democratic political consultant Philip Friedman.

Pataki could also face a stiff challenge from another high-profile New Yorker known to be eyeing the presidency in 2008: Rudy Giuliani."

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/29295.htm

It was also featured in Newsweek today....thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 08:52:43 pm by Governor .Andrew(UAC-NE) »Logged
RReagan4EVER
motomoto4510645106

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 08:55:33 pm »
Ignore

I think he would be a good President, However I think the GOP could come up with someone much better.

A recession is when your neighbor loses his job. A depression is when you lose yours. And recovery is when Jimmy Carter loses his.- Ronald W. Reagan

Republicans believe every day is 4th of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15.- Ronald W
Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 09:00:27 pm »
Ignore

Please, I ask every Dem and Republican official who is thinking about a 2008 run, to please hold off until after the election when it comes to making comments about it. I know Pataki didn't do the commenting but I hope if he himself is asked, I hope, out of respect for our nominee, he doesn't hint at anything.

Pataki seems to be a good guy but he's leans to the left on social issues. He wouldn't be one of my first choices, that's for sure.

The soon-to-be-re-elected Kings of Kansas.
KEmperor
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 09:23:44 pm »
Ignore

Pataki would easily get my vote.  Just the fact that he vetoed the minimum wage hike here in NY puts him very high in my book.
Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 10:26:21 pm »
Ignore

Pataki would easily get my vote.  Just the fact that he vetoed the minimum wage hike here in NY puts him very high in my book.

But do NYers put him high in their books? Remember, he is up for re-election in 2006 and he'll probably have to face Spitzer. Unless Pataki retires and plans his 2008 run.

Ats

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 09:34:31 pm »
Ignore

I like Pataki and I'd vote for him over Bush or Kerry

Political Compass
Economic Right/Left: 7.25
Social Authoritarian/Libertarian: -6.13
PBrunsel
YaBB God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 09:42:46 pm »
Ignore

If the 2008 Democratic nominee is John Edwards than Pataki will get crushed. If it's Hillary Clinton (not likely) he could win.

"I know that the Lord is always on the side of the right. But it is my constant anxiety and prayer that I and this nation should be on the Lord's side."
-President Abraham Lincoln, December 1862
Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 09:45:58 pm »
Ignore

For Pataki to run a serious 2008 campaign, he can't seek re-election as Governor in 2006. Spitzer is going to run and while a Pataki win is not impossible, Pataki will be running against NY's most popular Democrat. Sptizer vs. Pataki - looks like a Spitzer when and therefore chances of a Pataki campaign for the Presidency go right out the window.

Akno21
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 09:45:59 pm »
Ignore

If the 2008 Democratic nominee is John Edwards than Pataki will get crushed. If it's Hillary Clinton (not likely) he could win.

What if it's Kerry?

HockeyDude
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.19, S: -8.78

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004, 09:46:43 pm »
Ignore

I don't think he'd get nominated, too liberal for most of the republicans in the parts of the country they do best in.  Even if he did get the nomination, he wouldn't take anything in the Northeast, and wouldn't play as well as Bush in the South.  If it's edwards in 2008, expect someone a with a little more win potential, like Owens.  

Guillotine is historically the correct way to kill the rich and other assorted class enemies, you see.
PBrunsel
YaBB God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 09:53:36 pm »
Ignore

What if it's Kerry?

If it's Kerry Pataki won't get nominated. A more "electable" Republican (like Giuliani) will get the nomination.

"I know that the Lord is always on the side of the right. But it is my constant anxiety and prayer that I and this nation should be on the Lord's side."
-President Abraham Lincoln, December 1862
tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -8.00

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2004, 02:11:51 pm »
Ignore

He has 2 problems:

1. HE's too moderate and wouldn't be nominated.
2. He'd lose his homestate, plus his moderation and region hurts him among tradtional GOP voters.

there's no ghosts in the graveyard, that's not where they live
they live in between a, 'what is' and 'what if?'
A18
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2004, 02:21:43 pm »
Ignore

I can't wait until 2008. Primaries are so much better than general elections.
NYGOP
nygop

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2004, 09:27:48 pm »
Ignore

I would certainly vote for him. If Kerry wins this election(fat chance) Pataki would probably beat him. If Edwards runs then Edwards wins. Pataki would beat Hillary. It all depends who the Democrat is.
qwerty
Dick Nixon
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2004, 04:23:00 am »
Ignore

George Pataki has got my vote.
Saratoga2DM

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2004, 10:47:32 pm »
Ignore

He does not have my vote, I can't think of anything that he has done to benefit NY during his current term.  
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2004, 02:03:47 am »
Ignore

Price and rent controls, pro-choice and anti-gun.  I here Richard Nixon in the background.

Shut you hole... Conservatism is dead. I hope I get to see your head paraded on a pike with it.
○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2004, 03:39:11 am »
Ignore

Pataki is a lying bastard. Every year he tries to gut TAP, every year the Assembly tells him hell no, and every year he brags about how how he protected TAP.
shankbear

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2004, 08:07:38 pm »
Ignore

My 2 cents worth puts it at Frist/Pataki or Pataki/Frist vs. any Demo. combo.

Remember, we never lost a battle on the field in Vietnam, we lost the will to win the war.  Never repeat it!!!
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2004, 07:59:49 am »
Ignore

He has 2 problems:

1. HE's too moderate and wouldn't be nominated.
2. He'd lose his homestate, plus his moderation and region hurts him among tradtional GOP voters.

I agree.

Dave

Moderate Liberal Populist Smiley [Personal 45%/Economic 42%] / Defense 'Hawk'

Registered in Georgia for Fantasy Politics
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2004, 06:07:33 pm »
Ignore

No way he wins the nomination.  Most primary voters vote for candidates who stand up for life.  The only pro-abortion candidate who has a prayer would be Giulani because of his leadership abilities.

Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.31

My political view's summarized
A18
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2004, 06:14:39 pm »
Ignore

Woah...why do even brand new members have that political compass then in their sigs?
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2004, 06:19:15 pm »
Ignore

Woah...why do even brand new members have that political compass then in their sigs?

Gotta have something Smiley

Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.31

My political view's summarized
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Moderators
YaBB God
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -1.74

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2004, 01:16:40 am »
Ignore

If the 2008 Primary were held today Pataki would get my vote.  Followed by Jim Talent, Norm Coleman, Mit Romney and possibly Liddy Dole; although I think she would be too old, who knows, she would be younger than her husband was when he ran.

Some other good people might come up between now and then, though.  I se Mel Martinez as a good prospect, though he might not be ready for '08.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout