Would you be happy with Obama or McCain winning?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:51:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Would you be happy with Obama or McCain winning?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Even if you have a favourite, would you be satisfied with either candidate winning?
Yes, both of them would be fine

No, [the other guy] is awful

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Would you be happy with Obama or McCain winning?  (Read 3768 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2008, 01:44:13 PM »

I've voted in four elections thus far. And I have voted for a Republican, Democrat, and Independent. But in this election, I am affected by the war in Iraq and the economy in the U.S. The Republican Party is one for which I refuse to vote in the coming November 2008 election. They're not acceptable for the next four years. So my vote will likely go Democratic. And I will even consider Ralph Nader. But no matter how it goes, my vote is just one; it's up to all voters to be smart in handling how they vote (if they choose to do so).

Vote for Steve Adams.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2008, 04:55:52 PM »

I'd be content with either, yes. Or with Hillary Clinton for that matter.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2008, 05:03:27 PM »

I'd be content with either, yes. Or with Hillary Clinton for that matter.

Yes, because you're damned lucky - you're Swedish.

You actually believe our government can run a system like that? I don't know about you, but everything the government gets involved with seems to go down hill.

My friend, the government seems to fulfill its duties adequately, and certainly in no worse a fashion than the 'private corporations'.   Have you eaten corporate (chain) food?  This is all that is necessary to disprove the claims of capitalism.  Competition and concentration have led, in america to nothing but inedible garbage being peddled everywhere.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2008, 10:58:29 PM »

There seemed to be a bit of sentiment in the 'Atlas Presidential Poll' thread that, even if you favour McCain or Obama, either would be acceptable. I'm interested in quantifying how large that sentiment is.

Second poll option should read '[the other guy/both] are awful' by the way.

There's really not much difference in substantial policies between McCain/Obama/Clinton, so its not suprising that supporters of one of the three stooges could easily support either of the others.

They are all bad choices!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2008, 11:00:21 PM »

There seemed to be a bit of sentiment in the 'Atlas Presidential Poll' thread that, even if you favour McCain or Obama, either would be acceptable. I'm interested in quantifying how large that sentiment is.

There's really not much difference in substantial policies between McCain/Obama/Clinton, so its not suprising that supporters of one of the three stooges could easily support either of the others.

Am I correct in assuming that you will be voting for Barr?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2008, 11:03:14 PM »

Am I correct in assuming that you will be voting for Barr?

Absolutely!
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2008, 11:44:03 PM »

I'm not sure that I'd go so far as to say that McCain is awful....I'm sure once elected he would probably stop much of the pandering to the GOP base that he's had to do to get the nomination and to get their support in the general. He'd be basically a lot like Bush 41 as President.

Not that I really liked Bush 41, but he was better than Reagan, and likewise McCain would be better than Bush 43.

But no, I wouldn't be happy with him, especially considering it would mean the Democrats had massively blown it in this election. He's still frightening in a lot of ways, much moreso than he was in 2000 or 2004.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2008, 12:11:01 AM »

I'm not sure that I'd go so far as to say that McCain is awful....I'm sure once elected he would probably stop much of the pandering to the GOP base that he's had to do to get the nomination and to get their support in the general. He'd be basically a lot like Bush 41 as President.

Not that I really liked Bush 41, but he was better than Reagan, and likewise McCain would be better than Bush 43.

But no, I wouldn't be happy with him, especially considering it would mean the Democrats had massively blown it in this election. He's still frightening in a lot of ways, much moreso than he was in 2000 or 2004.

You're probably correct in in assessing McCain as a clone of Bush 41.

Like that Bush, McCain is claiming he opposes tax increases, but if elected (heaven forbid) will push through a massive tax increase.

Like that Bush, McCain is saying he will nominate responsible judges, but instead will nominate slimebags like Souter instead.

Bush 41 so antagonized the Republican base that in 1992 he received a smaller percentage of the vote than any Republican nominee since Landon, and the smallest percentage of any incumbent President seeking reelection since Taft!

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2008, 12:36:41 AM »

I'd prefer McCain being President to the majority of Republicans being President. That doesn't mean I'd be happy at all if he became president though.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2008, 06:16:48 AM »

There seemed to be a bit of sentiment in the 'Atlas Presidential Poll' thread that, even if you favour McCain or Obama, either would be acceptable.

Which speaks volumes about the social makeup of this place.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies