ND: Dakota Wesleyan: McCain with slight lead in North Dakota
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:50:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  ND: Dakota Wesleyan: McCain with slight lead in North Dakota
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ND: Dakota Wesleyan: McCain with slight lead in North Dakota  (Read 1318 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 15, 2008, 05:26:49 PM »

McCain 44%
Obama 38%
Other 6%

https://uselectionatlas.org/POLLS/PRESIDENT/2008/pollsa.php?action=indpoll&id=3800200843106

Crap uni poll.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 05:35:51 PM »

I know these polls are crap but can someone give me a reason as to why Obama would be doing so much better in ND than in SD? SUSA showed the same thing a while ago.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 06:45:49 PM »

Obama's campaigned in ND (February 5th state, plus he showed up for the convention on April 5th), but hasn't yet in SD (June 3)?

Rather absurd answer, but it's possible.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 07:20:38 PM »

I thought it was all BRTD's doing.

Obama's campaigned in ND (February 5th state, plus he showed up for the convention on April 5th), but hasn't yet in SD (June 3)?

Rather absurd answer, but it's possible.

As odd as this may sound, dollars to donuts, I'm willing to bet this is actually the correct answer.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 09:39:38 PM »

That and the fact that Rapid City or Sioux Falls suburbia isn't in ND.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 01:10:45 AM »

It always comes back to suburbia.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 02:25:30 AM »

Yeah why do you hate suburbia so much? Not all of them vote republican and they just may vote for Obama this year. It was 52-47 Bush in 04 so its only R+2.5. Rural areas seem to love voting republican though.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 02:26:13 AM »

It always comes back to suburbia.

LOL. In this case it's rather relevant though, and it's not really so much about suburbia rather than areas that are willing to vote for Democrats and North Dakota has more of them. A random rural area anywhere in the Dakotas that voted 67% for Bush is certainly more willing to vote for a Democrat than Rapid City. North Dakota doesn't have any thing comparable, Fargo suburbia still has a decent number of liberal yuppies while newcomers to the Fargo area are usually people who are at least willing to vote for a Democrat (being from rural western Minnesota usually) rather than the htmldon clones that infest Rapid City. The affluent and yuppie parts of Bismarck are just as hopeless but the older parts of Bismarck still have a lot of old people who moved there during rural flight and are still willing to vote for some Democrats and the suburban yuppie parts are still a relatively small part of the Bismarck area (not for much longer though.)

But the populated parts of South Dakota are just full of complete GOP hacks (though the growth in Sioux Falls is attracting many liberals too, all that does is just polarize the area further, it's not a huge boon to either party if for every liberal straight-Dem ticket voter who moves in a complete GOP hack does as well.)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 02:32:16 AM »

Yeah why do you hate suburbia so much? Not all of them vote republican and they just may vote for Obama this year. It was 52-47 Bush in 04 so its only R+2.5. Rural areas seem to love voting republican though.

I explained it above. Here's an interesting precinct result from Burleigh County:

Horizon Middle School:
Bush - 76.03%
Kerry - 22.90%

As recently as 2000, this area was virtually unpopulated and when the school was built there, it was basically built in the middle of nowhere with nothing but wheat fields visible from outside it. That's where my brothers went to middle school, the one I went to was closed and this replaced it. Now the area is a heavily populated McMansion filled mess, and note how it votes.

As for which loves voting Republican more, rural areas or suburbs, take a look at this:

Let's see, 3/7 suburban counties vs. 5/around 70 rural counties. Hmm....
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 09:48:20 PM »

I explained it above. Here's an interesting precinct result from Burleigh County:

Horizon Middle School:
Bush - 76.03%
Kerry - 22.90%

As recently as 2000, this area was virtually unpopulated and when the school was built there, it was basically built in the middle of nowhere with nothing but wheat fields visible from outside it. That's where my brothers went to middle school, the one I went to was closed and this replaced it. Now the area is a heavily populated McMansion filled mess, and note how it votes.

As for which loves voting Republican more, rural areas or suburbs, take a look at this:

Let's see, 3/7 suburban counties vs. 5/around 70 rural counties. Hmm....

Yes Minnesota is weird like that. I noticed the suburban minneapolis counties were one of the most republican in the state. I noticed the same thing in Wisconsin too but it is not representative of the country. All around the country there are examples of suburban counties giving majority votes to democrats. And like i already proved before rural areas do vote more republican than suburbs, especially in 2000 and 2004. We will see if that pattern holds up this year. I suspect it wont in the mountain west and northern plains. I suspect it will in the midwest and the south.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies