19% of Americans want increased gas tax
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:22:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  19% of Americans want increased gas tax
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: 19% of Americans want increased gas tax  (Read 4550 times)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2008, 07:10:06 PM »

Nothing will get us into smaller, more efficient cars faster than a high gas price.  If we as a nation think that's our goal, an increase in the Federal gas tax would be a viable option to consider to that end.

If hybrid cars were truly more efficient, than Americans would gradually transition to them without help from a gas tax hike
Like they did in the 80s and 90s?  (not to hybrids of course,  but to other efficient vehicles that sold like matches in hell)  I'm not suggesting a gas tax is the only way or the best way to do it, but low priced gas has shown to NOT be a motivator to Americans to switch to more efficient vehicles.

I concur; I just think that if it were truly a problem than the transition would happen without government intervention.

Why? The free market doesn't factor in external costs like environmental damage.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2008, 12:30:54 AM »

I will definitely support a carbon tax that fully accounts for all environmental damages, provided that income taxes are reduced to compensate. All parties except Exxon will see that as the best way forward.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2008, 06:57:53 AM »

People that complain about oil companies making a killing on profit aren't usually looking at the flip side and seeing how much of a killing the government is making off the taxes. I'm glad that my state is pretty progressive with taxes and our state is looking into a tax holiday for fuel from Memorial day - Labor day.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2008, 10:55:44 AM »

People that complain about oil companies making a killing on profit aren't usually looking at the flip side and seeing how much of a killing the government is making off the taxes. I'm glad that my state is pretty progressive with taxes and our state is looking into a tax holiday for fuel from Memorial day - Labor day.

What's makes the government even worse is that you're choosing to buy gasoline, but you're not choosing to pay taxes.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2008, 10:59:27 AM »

What's makes the government even worse is that you're choosing to buy gasoline, but you're not choosing to pay taxes.

It's just easier to blame companies because in this country the left wingers propaganda of OMG companies = eval has been effective and most Americans believe our government is our friend.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2008, 03:38:17 PM »

Yes, you are. You don't have to take the benefits of government if you don't want to.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2008, 04:46:46 PM »

It's just easier to blame companies because in this country the left wingers propaganda of OMG companies = eval has been effective and most Americans believe our government is our friend.
The government is supposed to be our friend because we elected it and it is supposed to be of the people, and for the people, but I suppose the Founding Fathers really hated the government.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2008, 05:41:42 PM »

Yes, you are. You don't have to take the benefits of government if you don't want to.

So you concede that citizens have the right to secession?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2008, 06:03:45 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2008, 06:23:17 PM by Vice-Chairman Захар »

Secession from society, yes.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2008, 06:19:51 PM »

Some of your left leaning friends aren't going to like that.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2008, 06:26:23 PM »

Some of your left leaning friends aren't going to like that.

Read this thread for clarification as to what I mean. Warning: It's long and boring.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2008, 11:06:43 PM »

Society is not government, though. I think you should be able to have your cake and eat it, too.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2008, 11:45:11 PM »

Society is not government, though. I think you should be able to have your cake and eat it, too.

But that's where the real world comes in.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2008, 05:13:39 PM »

Headline should read:

"At Least 19% of Americans F'in Retarded"
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2008, 06:04:36 PM »

Well that's all fine and nice, except if you don't share your cake with those less fortunate than you, they will simply steal your cake and probably hurt you in the process and then we'll have to pay to incarcerate them... so it's better give people the ingredients so they can make their own cake rather than just handing a cake down from generation to generation reserved only to certain people that already have a cake while everybody else only gets to eat the crumbs off the floor.

And as far as immigration is concerned... marble cake is always better than plain white cake... though yellow cake with chocolate frosting is pretty good.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2008, 07:10:25 PM »

Well that's all fine and nice, except if you don't share your cake with those less fortunate than you, they will simply steal your cake and probably hurt you in the process and then we'll have to pay to incarcerate them... so it's better give people the ingredients so they can make their own cake rather than just handing a cake down from generation to generation reserved only to certain people that already have a cake while everybody else only gets to eat the crumbs off the floor.

And as far as immigration is concerned... marble cake is always better than plain white cake... though yellow cake with chocolate frosting is pretty good.

In a free society, people who have nothing to do with a crime would not pay to incarcerate them. A poor person would not steal cake from an armed person.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2008, 07:25:49 PM »

Headline should read:

"At Least 19% of Americans F'in Retarded"

I've missed you.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2008, 08:45:05 PM »

In a free society, people who have nothing to do with a crime would not pay to incarcerate them. A poor person would not steal cake from an armed person.

So, you're saying, in a free society, that if I wanted a raise and had to use a gun to "encourage" my boss, that would be okay?  After all, it's a free society... or, maybe that's a social-darwinistic anarchy.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2008, 10:43:03 PM »

So, you're saying, in a free society, that if I wanted a raise and had to use a gun to "encourage" my boss, that would be okay?  After all, it's a free society... or, maybe that's a social-darwinistic anarchy.

No, because you're initiating an act of assault against your boss. The boss and/or his security company would have the right to arrest you until you could be taken to court.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2008, 11:09:33 PM »

Dude, you are an EXPERT at reading into people's post exactly what you think they are saying even if it has nothing to do with anything.  I'm pretty sure English is your first language, what's the deal?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2008, 06:50:51 PM »

No, because you're initiating an act of assault against your boss. The boss and/or his security company would have the right to arrest you until you could be taken to court.

Unless, of course, I got some friends to "encourage" the security company to let me go. And then "encourage" the court.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2008, 07:06:07 PM »

Unless, of course, I got some friends to "encourage" the security company to let me go. And then "encourage" the court.

A secuiry company would be better armed than you would be, and would be less corrupt.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2008, 07:38:57 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2008, 07:43:22 PM by got rice? »

That's exactly what the Nigerian system is.

Anyone who's anyone has their private guards.

The 99.9% who can't afford private guards should not have been born poor.

The court system is private, since you can pay them (in brown paper bags) to reach a verdict you like.

Sounds good to me.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2008, 11:31:29 PM »

The court system is private, since you can pay them (in brown paper bags) to reach a verdict you like.

Sounds good to me.

Nigeria isn't capitalist to my knowledge.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2008, 11:33:17 PM »

Sounds good to me.

Nigeria isn't capitalist to my knowledge.

Nigeria most certainly is capitalist. It's a rather extreme example of unbridled capitalism gone wild, actually.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies