Return to September 10th Bill [Final passage at vote]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:46:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Return to September 10th Bill [Final passage at vote]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Return to September 10th Bill [Final passage at vote]  (Read 23056 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 16, 2008, 01:56:33 AM »
« edited: June 20, 2008, 02:45:28 AM by PPT Meeker »

Return to September 10th Bill

Section 1: Telecommunications Immunity Clarification
1. The current Atlasian government acknowledges that after the terrorist attacks of September 11th, 2001, telecommunications companies cooperated with the United States government in providing illegal access to customers' private information, including conversations which were 'wiretapped.'
2. The current Atlasian government supports prosecuting all companies involved, as well as anyone found guilty of providing these orders within the government, to the fullest extent of the law.

Section 2: Torture and Simulated Drowning
1. The government recognizes that torture is, and has been regardless of the September 11th, 2001 terrorist attacks, illegal, as confirmed in F.L. 22-7.
2. Simulated drowning, or 'waterboarding,' is a form of torture and remains prohibited by law.
3. The current government encourages that any member of the government found to have ordered or performed acts of torture be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Section 3: Free Speech Zones
1. The use of "free speech zones" as restricted areas where protesting may be permitted is to be discontinued immediately.

Section 4: PATRIOT Act
1. The PATRIOT Act is repealed.

Section 5: Guantanamo Bay
1. The prison camp located at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba is to be closed within two months after this act becomes law.

Sponsor: Meekermariner (Ebowed)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 12:52:23 PM »

I support this bill wholeheartedly, with some reservations regarding Section 5. We cannot shut down Guantanamo without establishing where those who are incarcerated should go.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 07:00:31 PM »

What would be the effect of Section 3?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 07:15:56 PM »

What has Guantanamo Bay got to do with Atlasia?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 08:30:06 PM »

Naturally, I oppose this bill.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 10:12:18 AM »

I motion to strike Section 5.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 10:43:38 AM »

Why?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 10:46:13 AM »

Like afleitch said, we can't shut it down without establishing in writing where those there go.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 07:03:44 PM »

The USA PATRIOT Act expired a while back and in Atlasia was never renewed.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 12:06:10 PM »

I like this bill.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 12:18:40 PM »

I propose the following amendment.

1. The prison camp located at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba is to be closed within six months after this act becomes law.

a. All those presently detained without due charge or detained though any other process of the law shall be released to their country of origin.
b. All those detained with due charge or detained though any other process of the law shall be put on trial.
c. All those who have been formally found guilty of charges brought before the court shall be transferred to a maximum security prison in Atlasia as per instructions of the judge.
d. All those found not guilty shall be released to their country of origin.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 12:35:27 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2008, 01:02:54 PM by Chairman Meow »

1. The prison camp located at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba is to be closed within six months after this act becomes law.

a. All those presently detained without due charge or detained though any other process of the law shall be released to their country of origin.
b. All those detained with due charge or detained though any other process of the law shall be put on trial.
c. All those who have been formally found guilty of charges brought before the court shall be transferred to a maximum security prison in Atlasia as per instructions of the judge.

That doesn't solve anything.

-There is nobody charged as of right now irl, and only one convicted - and he's not at Gitmo anymore. (He made a bargain according to which both he and his home country - Australia - accepted the validity of the current legal setup - he was officially sentenced, and he could go home. He spent a couple of months in an Australian prison, and was released this december.)
Two more people were charged under the current setup, but these charges were dismissed. They nonetheless remain at Gitmo.

-I am not prepared to accept Bush's kangaroo court's verdicts - now Congress' kangaroo court, sorry bout that - as valid sentences by a legitimate court of law, due largely to judicial independence issues.
The US Supreme Court will rule on the issue again in Summer.

-Because the framework that set them up was set up well after Atlasia was founded, it can be safely considered not to exist in Atlasia (even if Atlasia does have a base at Gitmo, something I'm not too sure about.) Therefore, in Atlasia at any rate, Sections 2b and 2c are meaningless.

-Some of the people at Gitmo are (still) there only because releasing them to their country of origin would mean their certain death. A number of Chinese citizens, for instance. We'd need an asylum provision for these people. Even though they are, of course, Islamists, and potentially violent ones at that.
Approximately 70 of the approximately 355 at Gitmo are there either because of that or because their home country refuses to take them back. Approximately 420 additional people have passed through Gitmo's gates during the term of its existence.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 12:37:49 PM »

Brandon is right.

I propose an amendment to strike that section.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 05:09:44 PM »

I guess I'm going to have to propose an amendment to reinstitute the Patriot act.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 07:21:04 PM »

^^^

This. 

(sorry for butting in, I got lost on my way to chambers...but i dont know if anyone has the america/atlasia question quite sorted out yet)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 12:36:33 PM »

^^^

This. 

(sorry for butting in, I got lost on my way to chambers...but i dont know if anyone has the america/atlasia question quite sorted out yet)

No we haven't.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 12:40:06 PM »

I think it's pretty well-established that we inherited everything that was true of the US before 2004, which would include Guantanamo.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 12:52:48 PM »

I think it's pretty well-established that we inherited everything that was true of the US before 2004, which would include Guantanamo.
Yes... but if (as some deluded fools still maintain) a) we replaced the US rather than duplicate it in miniature and b) all the moderation "events", even those of Ford's term, really happened and what wasn't mentioned here didn't happen ... then I wonder who currently lives in Gitmo. Everybody who was there the day Atlasia started? Which is which day exactly, btw?

There is no restoration of logic without recognition of the US.
This doesn't preclude the fact that we don't also have our own Gitmo.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 01:53:41 PM »

Alright, there's been possibly 4 amendments proposed here. If you've proposed an amendment and still want a vote on it, please repost it so we can be clear.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2008, 02:21:04 PM »

Alright, there's been possibly 4 amendments proposed here. If you've proposed an amendment and still want a vote on it, please repost it so we can be clear.

I'm aware of three:

Brandon is right.

Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2008, 03:09:34 PM »

I'm aware of three:

Brandon is right.

Sam psuedo-proposed to reinstitute the USAPATRIOT Act.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2008, 03:14:27 PM »

I'm aware of three:

Brandon is right.

Sam psuedo-proposed to reinstitute the USAPATRIOT Act.

All he said is "I guess I'm going to have to do that", he hasn't actually done so so far.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2008, 03:42:55 PM »

I may do it eventually...  Though it's obviously going nowhere.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008, 03:50:41 PM »

We are now voting on the following three amendments. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

Amendment 1
Amendment 2

Amendment 3
Brandon is right.

Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2008, 04:05:14 PM »

aye
nay
aye
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »