Wild & Wacky Stats! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:39:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Wild & Wacky Stats! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wild & Wacky Stats!  (Read 36229 times)
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« on: April 16, 2008, 04:01:09 PM »

Why not affluent areas of the West?  Less social pressure?

That's a good question. Some thoughts:

States with larger immigrant populations, particularly immigrants from lower economic strata than those that make up northeastern immigrant communities, are going to have a lot more of their children in the population. NJ has a large immigrant population, but many of them come to the U.S. with college degrees or an ethos of putting off children, and like CT it has a small urban:suburban ratio.

The northeast not only has more affluent families, but people marry later and women tend to work longer before starting families. My sister in NJ was 29 when she had her first son and she was the first of any of her friends to become a mother. Of the people I know, very few had children in their 20s and plan for them in their 30s. I suspect the situation is different in middle-class areas like north Dallas or Mesa, AZ.

I should find the National Geographic article.

Most pepole in NC have kids by their mid to late 20's in NC
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 08:05:20 PM »

I resent this map. I hate the term 'pop'. I know one friend from Minnesota who says it, but everywhere else in at least SE PA is all 'soda'.

There's a map online that aggregates a huge number of responses; it's actually really interesting. I'll see if I can find it.

All NC should be blue. I have never heard anyone call Soda, "Coke".
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 10:24:07 AM »

Yeah what jimrtex described is a "float" here.

Do people in the south seriously refer to Sprite, Sierra Mist and 7 Up as "Coke"?

I haven't talked to anyone that does.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies