Meeker's disasterous attempt at counting (Now featuring accurate numbers!)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:34:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Meeker's disasterous attempt at counting (Now featuring accurate numbers!)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Meeker's disasterous attempt at counting (Now featuring accurate numbers!)  (Read 8677 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2008, 01:24:09 PM »

Count 7
CultureKing Distribution

Rockefeller: 6
Lewis: 6
afleitch: 6 (+1)
Earl: 5
Colin Wixted: 4 (+1)
Sensei: 3
Jake: 3
Bacon King: 0 (-2)
CultureKing: 0
SPC: 0
Hashemite: 0
KoBP: 0
HW: 0

Verily voted BK #1, Colin #2.
hughento voted BK#1, afleitch #2.
Both Colin and afleitch gain a vote.
afleitch now has 6 and is elected.
Again no surplus, so we continue with eliminations. This time Jake.

Count 8
Jake Distribution

afleitch: 6
Colin Wixted: 6 (+2)
Sensei: 4 (+1)
Jake: 0 (-3)
Bacon King: 0 
CultureKing: 0
SPC: 0
Hashemite: 0
KoBP: 0
HW: 0

Keystone Phil voted Jake #1, Colin #2. This vote goes to Colin.
Sam Spade voted Jake #1, KoBP #2, Sensei #2. As KoBP has already been eliminated, the vote goes to Sensei.
The 3rd vote for Jake is BrandonH's, which he gained when SPC was eliminated earlier. Brandon's vote goes to his #7 preference Colin as all his earlier preferences have either been elected or eliminated.

The 2 votes to Colin get him to 6 and he is elected.
That only leaves 2 candidates, Earl and Sensei for 1 seat.
There are no votes that can be redistributed. As Earl is ahead, he is elected to the last seat.

Result
#1 Rocky
#2 Lewis
#3 afleitch
#4 Colin
#5 Earl

I'll answer any questions anyone has on this.

Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2008, 01:32:41 PM »

I make the count as follows: 33 votes (last BrandonH); Droop quota as specified by Jas is 6.

First Count
EAW - 5
RR - 5
LT - 4
A - 4
CW - 2
J - 2
CK - 2
S - 2
BK - 2
SPC - 2
K - 1 (flows to CW)
HW - 1 (flows to S)
H - 1 (flows to RR)

At this stage it does not matter in what order we eliminate King, HappyWarrior and Hashemite because none of them could push any of the others up to 2 votes.
In this special circumstance, we may eliminate all at once:

2nd Count
RR - 6[elected]
EAW - 5
LT - 4
A - 4
CW - 3
S - 3
J - 2 (flows to CW,S)
CK - 2 (flows to LT,LT)
BK - 2 (flows to CW,A)
SPC - 2 (flows to A,J)

Because SPC has a vote which can flow to J, we cannot benefit from our first count luck. Counting 2nd Preferences:
J - 2; CK - 1; BK - 1; SPC - 0.
SPC is eliminated.

3rd Count
RR - 6[elected]
EAW - 5
A - 5
LT - 4
CW - 3
S - 3
J - 3
CK - 2 (flows to LT,LT)
BK - 2 (flows to CW,A)

We are back in luck - CK and BK can be eliminated together.

4th Count
RR - 6[elected]
A - 6[elected]
LT - 6[elected]
EAW - 5
CW - 4
S - 3 (flows to EAW,EAW,RR)
J - 3 (flows to CW,S,LT)

Again, out of luck, and the potential for votes to be redirected out of RR/LT to candidates is also there.
2nd preferences
S - 4; J - 2.
J eliminated

5th Count
RR - 6[elected]
A - 6[elected]
LT - 7[elected]
EAW - 5
CW - 5
S - 4

LT has an excess of 1.
LT's preferences are counted
RR - 1; CW - 3; EAW - 2; A - 1
These are now each allocated 1/7th of a vote for each preference.

6th count
RR - 6.14... [E]
A - 6.14... [E]
LT - 6 [E]
CW - 5.42...
EAW - 5.28...
S - 4

We should now proceed to redistribute the new surpluses of RR and A, however, it would not be possible for S to catch EAW even if he received all of the transfer value, and therefore we can safely eliminate him, leaving only 2 candidates for 2 seats, and thus CW and EAW are elected.

Which is fortunate, because I do not like the concept of having to transfer 1/6.14... or 0.14/6.14... of a vote to other candidates.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2008, 01:36:30 PM »

What happens if you accidentally use a fairly high up number twice, as I just noticed (within the twenty minutes, thankfully) that I had. Is the whole ballot discarded or only the pref.s from there on?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2008, 01:40:09 PM »

What happens if you accidentally use a fairly high up number twice, as I just noticed (within the twenty minutes, thankfully) that I had. Is the whole ballot discarded or only the pref.s from there on?

Good question. At the Scottish elections last year all preferences below the error would have been discarded.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2008, 02:13:51 PM »

You still have 2 8th preferences I am afraid.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2008, 02:14:43 PM »

Good question. At the Scottish elections last year all preferences below the error would have been discarded.

Crikes. I've made the error twice. Oh well, let's hope my votes past 7th preference will never be needed... Next time, I'll be sure to reorder my ballot. Couldn't have happened if I had.

(First, I used the no. 5 doubly and then went on 6, 7 etc. Then, I changed one of the 5s to a 6 and all the other no.s accordingly... but forgot the 8. Sad )
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2008, 04:00:56 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2008, 04:05:58 PM by afleitch »

My only concern, and correct me if I am wrong - if a candidate fails to receive one 1st preference vote, yet say got second preference in all other votes what happens to him? For example, Colin at the moment has 1 first preference vote, yet 12 second preferences.

What usually happens (in order to do away with 0 votes, as the quote formula does) is to up everyones vote by 1 (or even 0.0000001 etc) so that 0 becomes 1 and 4 becomes 5 etc.

Also the moment a candidate meets the quote - no more votes can flow to them. I noted in Peters calculation that a vote flowed to Earl after he had been elected. If it was a party vote however, with multiple candidates then the votes would keep flowing.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2008, 04:15:37 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2008, 04:22:09 PM by afleitch »

If we do the above, then watch how closely Sensei and Earls votes shadow each other etc.

As of Opebos vote, and assuming all votes are valid then Earl, Lewis, Rocky, Sensei and myself get through. However Colin is close for the 6th spot. Ultimately the NLC is effectively cancelling itself out.

How the bill is interpreted can lead to vastly different outcomes because the numbers in our election are small. This could go to the courts.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2008, 04:50:53 PM »

I'd only discard the preferences from that number and lower.  If I can determine intent from part of the ballot, then I would use the information from that part of the ballot.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2008, 07:06:35 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2008, 07:22:19 PM by Jas »

My only concern, and correct me if I am wrong - if a candidate fails to receive one 1st preference vote, yet say got second preference in all other votes what happens to him? For example, Colin at the moment has 1 first preference vote, yet 12 second preferences.

What usually happens (in order to do away with 0 votes, as the quote formula does) is to up everyones vote by 1 (or even 0.0000001 etc) so that 0 becomes 1 and 4 becomes 5 etc.

If a candidate doesn't receive any 1st preferences then they are effectively the first people eliminated, unless on the first count a candidate or candidates surpass the quota and the candidates receive some of the transfers.

And if a candidate can't get around to first preferencing themselves, then they have nobody but themselves to blame if they are eliminated on 0 votes.

(At any rate, I currently have Colin down as having 2 #1 votes - his own and MAS's. MAS #1'd PD, but under the write-in rules, unless PD shows up to claim the vote, the write-in for PD is ignored and so it's de facto a Colin 1st preference.)

Also the moment a candidate meets the quote - no more votes can flow to them. I noted in Peters calculation that a vote flowed to Earl after he had been elected. If it was a party vote however, with multiple candidates then the votes would keep flowing.

I don't believe candidates already deemed elected can receive transfers, so I disagree with the later counts of Peter in this regard.

Under the terms of the PR Act, section 11 states that eliminated candidates transfers can only go to "remaining candidates"; section 13 says that surplus votes can only be transfered to "candidates still capable of election". By my interpretation (and indeed my intention when drafting it) persons deemed elected are no longer, by definition, candidates for election.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2008, 07:12:27 PM »

How the bill is interpreted can lead to vastly different outcomes because the numbers in our election are small. This could go to the courts.

It wouldn't be the first Atlasian election to do so, and it wouldn't be the last.
Just about every election statute in Atlasian history has been adjudicated over.

Getting a court decision isn't necessarily a bad thing, it adds clarity and allows for propoer reflection and amending legislation if necessary. It's only a problem when the people involved in the decision seek to make it a problem.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2008, 08:07:43 PM »

As of Opebos vote, and assuming all votes are valid then Earl, Lewis, Rocky, Sensei and myself get through. However Colin is close for the 6th spot. Ultimately the NLC is effectively cancelling itself out.

Having just re-counted again, I disagree with your result.

Last voter: opebo
Total poll: 35
Quota: 6 (will rise to 7 with the next vote cast)

1st Count
Lewis: 5
Rockefeller: 5
afleitch: 4
CultureKing: 3
Colin Wixted: 2
Sensei: 2
Bacon King: 2
Jake: 2
SPC: 2
Hashemite: 1
KoBP: 1
HW: 1

Candidates tied are ordered based on lower preferences.
Nobody elected.

2nd Count
To save time, I'm eliminating HW, KoBP, and Hashemite together. They would be eliminated in that order and the result of doing it either way is the same, so...

Rockefeller: 6 (+1 from Hashemite)
Colin Wixted: 3 (+1 from KoBP)
Sensei: 3 (+1 from HW)
Hashemite: 0 (-1) (to Rocky)
KoBP: 0 (-1) (to Colin)
HW: 0 (-1) (to Sensei)

Rocky elected #1. No surplus, so eliminations continue.

3rd Count
SPC eliminated

afleitch: 5 (+1)
Colin Wixted: 3
Jake: 3 (+1)
SPC: 0 (-2) (to afleitch & Jake)

Nobody elected.
Bacon King eliminated.

4th Count
BK eliminated

Jake: 3
Bacon King: 0 (-2) (to Colin & afleitch)

afleitch elected #2. No surplus, eliminations continue.

5th Count
Jake eliminated

Lewis: 6 (+1)
Colin Wixted: 5 (+1)
Sensei: 4 (+1) 
Jake: 0 (-3) (To Colin, Sensei & Lewis)

Lewis elected #3, no surplus. Eliminations continue.

6th Count
CK out

Colin Wixted: 7 (+2)
Earl: 6 (+1)
Sensei: 4 
CultureKing: 0 (-3) (2 to Colin, 1 to Earl)

Colin and Earl elected to positions #4 and #5.
All positions having been filled, the election count ends.

Result
#1 Rocky
#2 afleitch
#3 Lewis
#4 Colin
#5 Earl
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2008, 08:31:23 PM »

I'm in last place? Cry
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2008, 08:35:11 PM »

Technically, second last (13th). Willy Woz is in last place as he has yet to get a first preference vote. (Had you voted for yourself #1 or should you get the next 1st preference vote, you would be 10th.)
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2008, 08:43:46 PM »

Thought I'd be able to do at least reasonably well.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2008, 08:55:22 PM »

Well I would say that given that you didn't vote for yourself; that you are the #3 candidate on the PLP ticket (and indeed you voted to put yourself in that #3 spot); and that you haven't made a very visible campaigning effort for votes - it could be perceived that you haven't been entirely concerned about winning a Senate seat, which may be being reflected in the votes so far.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2008, 09:02:13 PM »

Well I would say that given that you didn't vote for yourself; that you are the #3 candidate on the PLP ticket (and indeed you voted to put yourself in that #3 spot); and that you haven't made a very visible campaigning effort for votes - it could be perceived that you haven't been entirely concerned about winning a Senate seat, which may be being reflected in the votes so far.

The bolded part is essentially what did it.  Even the no-shot-in-hellers voted themselves #1, which puts them in front of you almost by default.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2008, 09:26:13 PM »

The bolded part is essentially what did it.  Even the no-shot-in-hellers voted themselves #1, which puts them in front of you almost by default.

True but I realized that I had less of a chance than Sensei and Earl and that they best represented my views.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2008, 03:34:59 AM »

True but I realized that I had less of a chance than Sensei and Earl and that they best represented my views.

Then you should have you #1 then Sensei/Earl in #'s 2&3 (whatever order you want)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2008, 05:50:21 AM »

There've been four new votes since the last got published, so I'll try my hand...

Last voter: Meeker
Total poll: 39
Quota: 7

1st Count
Rockefeller: 5
CultureKing: 4
Bacon King: 3
Colin Wixted: 2
Hashemite: 1
KoBP: 1
HW: 1

Candidates tied are ordered based on lower preferences. I trusted Jas' count here except for the new Afleitch-Culture King tie.
Nobody elected.

2nd Count
To save time, I'm eliminating HW, KoBP, and Hashemite together. They would be eliminated in that order and the result of doing it either way is the same, so...
I would like to note here that if their votes flowed to tied candidates, the order of elimination would be relevant and the eliminations would have to be done singly.

Rockefeller: 6 (+1 from Hashemite)
Sensei: 4 (+1 from HW)
Colin Wixted: 3 (+1 from KoBP)
Hashemite: 0 (-1) (to Rocky)
KoBP: 0 (-1) (to Colin)
HW: 0 (-1) (to Sensei)

Nobody elected. Eliminations continue.

3rd Count
SPC eliminated

afleitch: 5 (+1)
Sensei: 4 
Colin Wixted: 3
Jake: 3 (+1)
SPC: 0 (-2) (to afleitch & Jake)

Nobody elected.
Jake eliminated. (The legislation sez: By previous round of counting, right?)

4th Count
Jake eliminated

afleitch: 5
Sensei: 5 (+1)
Bacon King: 4 (+1)
Jake: 0 (-3) (to Colin, Sensei and Bacon King)

Nobody elected.
Colin eliminated.

5th Count
Colin eliminated

Rockefeller: 8 (+2)
Sensei: 5
Bacon King: 5 (+1)
Colin: 0 (-4)

Rockefeller elected #1. Surplus of one that cannot at this stage influence the progress of the count.
CultureKing eliminated.

6th Count
CK out

Rockefeller: 8 (elected)
Lewis: 10 (+4)
Sensei: 5
Bacon King: 5

Lewis Trondheim elected #2. Rocky's surplus redistributed now.

7th Count
Rockefeller: 7 (elected)
Lewis: 10 (elected)
afleitch: 6.75 (+.75)
Sensei: 5.125 (.125)
Bacon King: 5.125 (.125)

Lewis' surplus redistributed

8th Count
Rockefeller: 7 (elected)
Lewis: 7 (elected)
Afleitch: 7.05 (+0.3)
Earl: 6.2 (+1.2)
Sensei: 6.025 (+0.9)
Bacon King: 5.725 (+0.6)

Afleitch elected #3. Surplus cannot materially affect the count. Bacon King eliminated, and Earl and Sensei elected without a quota.

Result
#1 Rocky
#2 Lewis
#3 afleitch
#4 Earl
#5 Sensei
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2008, 06:03:19 AM »

As long as we're distributing surpluses mathematically correctly, I think the whole "timesaver" rules make no sense, actually (except possibly when the question is whether the count is already complete - redistributing that final Afleitch surplus would be pretty pointless). The time taken to ensure that it really makes no difference is actually more than the time needed to redistribute, so all it ensures is a slightly shorter result sheet, but no save of time etc.

Let's have some discussion of the point - if it's okay with everybody, I'll write up legislation that eliminates that without changing the rules otherwise.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2008, 06:08:37 AM »

At this stage, the following people will almost certainly be elected:
Lewis
Rocky

The following person is likely to be elected:
Afleitch

The following people are in a 4 way runoff for the last 2 spots:
Colin
Earl
Sensei
CultureKing

I do not believe that is mathematically likely that anybody else can be elected.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2008, 07:32:41 AM »
« Edited: April 20, 2008, 09:27:27 AM by Chairman Meow »

Last voter: Afleitch
Total poll: 40
Quota: 7

1st Count
Lewis: 6 1: Franzl, Jas, Al, Red, Lewis, Verin
afleitch: 5 1: Rocky, Bullmoose, Frodo, Alcon, Afleitch. 4 second pref.s
Rockefeller: 5 1: SoS, Jedi, Inks, AndrewCT, Polnut. 3 second pref.s, 4 third pref.s, 6 fourth pref.s
Earl: 5 1: Earl, benconstine, Happy, TCash, Old Europe. 3 second pref.s, 4 third pref.s, 1 fourth pref.
CultureKing: 4 1: Ebowed, Friz, Opebo, CK
Sensei: 3 1: Sensei, Cookies, Meeker. 5 second pref.s
Bacon King: 3 1: Verily, Hugh, Bacon. 1 second pref.
Colin Wixted: 2 1: Colin, MAS. 12 second pref.s
Jake: 2 1: Phil, Sam. 2 second pref.s
SPC: 2 1: SPC, Brandon. No second pref.s
Hashemite: 1 1: Hashemite. One second pref. One third pref.
KoBP: 1 1: KoBP. One second pref. No third pref.s
Happy: 1 1: Matchu. No second pref.s
Willy Woz: 0.

Candidates tied are ordered based on lower preferences.
Nobody elected. Willy Woz eliminated.

2nd to 4th Count
To save space, I'm pretending to eliminate Happy, KoBP, and Hashemite together. They would be eliminated in that order and the result of doing it either way is the same.
Ties broken by previous rounds from here on.

Rockefeller: 6 1: SoS, Jedi, Inks, AndrewCT, Polnut, Hashemite
afleitch: 5 1: Rocky, Bullmoose, Frodo, Alcon, Afleitch
Earl: 5 1: Earl, benconstine, Happy, TCash, Old Europe
Sensei: 4 1: Sensei, Cookies, Meeker, Matchu
Bacon King: 3 1: Verily, Hugh, Bacon
Colin Wixted: 3 1: Colin, MAS, KoBP
Jake: 2 1: Phil, Sam
SPC: 2 1: SPC, Brandon

SPC eliminated.

5th Count
afleitch: 6 1: Rocky, Bullmoose, Frodo, Alcon, Afleitch, SPC
Sensei: 4 1: Sensei, Cookies, Meeker, Matchu
Bacon King: 3 1: Verily, Hugh, Bacon
Colin Wixted: 3 1: Colin, MAS, KoBP
Jake: 3 1: Phil, Sam, Brandon

Jake eliminated.

6th Count
afleitch: 6 1: Rocky, Bullmoose, Frodo, Alcon, Afleitch, SPC
Sensei: 5 1: Sensei, Cookies, Meeker, Matchu, Sam
Bacon King: 4 1: Verily, Hugh, Bacon, Brandon
Colin Wixted: 4 1: Colin, MAS, KoBP, Phil

Colin eliminated.

7th Count
Rockefeller: 8 1: SoS, Jedi, Inks, AndrewCT, Polnut, Hashemite, MAS, Phil
afleitch: 7 1: Rocky, Bullmoose, Frodo, Alcon, Afleitch, SPC, Colin
Bacon King: 5 1: Verily, Hugh, Bacon, Brandon, KoBP

Rockefeller and Afleitch elected.
Rocky's surplus does not at this stage affect the count. (Even if wholly transferred to Culture King, which it obviously is not, it couldn't save Culture King.) CultureKing eliminated.

8th Count
Rockefeller: 8 1: SoS, Jedi, Inks, AndrewCT, Polnut, Hashemite, MAS, Phil
Lewis: 10 1: Franzl, Jas, Al, Red, Lewis, Verin, Ebowed, Friz, Opebo, CK
Bacon King: 5 1: Verily, Hugh, Bacon, Brandon, KoBP

Lewis elected.
Rules dictate that Rockefeller's surplus be redistributed first. Of course, my surplus will also have to be redistributed anyways, but I suppose it may matter for tiebreaking purposes.

9th Count
Rockefeller: 7 0.875: SoS, Jedi, Inks, AndrewCT, Polnut, Hashemite, MAS, Phil
Lewis: 10 1: Franzl, Jas, Al, Red, Lewis, Verin, Ebowed, Friz, Opebo, CK
Bacon King: 5.5 1: Verily, Hugh, Bacon, Brandon, KoBP. 0.125: Jedi, Hashemite, MAS, Inks
Sensei: 5.25 1: Sensei, Cookies, Meeker, Matchu, Sam. 0.125: SoS, AndrewCT
Earl: 5.125 1: Earl, benconstine, Happy, TCash, Old Europe. 0.125: Polnut
exhausted: 0.125 Phil

10th Count
Rockefeller: 7 0.875: SoS, Jedi, Inks, AndrewCT, Polnut, Hashemite, MAS, Phil
Lewis: 7 0.7: Franzl, Jas, Al, Red, Lewis, Verin, Ebowed, Friz, Opebo, CK
Sensei: 6.45 1: Sensei, Cookies, Meeker, Matchu, Sam. 0.3: Franzl, Jas, Verin, CK. 0.125: SoS, AndrewCT
Earl: 6.325 1: Earl, benconstine, Happy, TCash, Old Europe. 0.3: Al, Red, Lewis, Opebo. 0.125: Polnut
Bacon King: 6.1 1: Verily, Hugh, Bacon, Brandon, KoBP. 0.3: Ebowed, Friz. 0.125: Jedi, Hashemite, MAS, Inks
exhausted: 0.125 Phil

No further surpluses left to redistribute, so Sensei and Earl elected without a quota.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2008, 07:33:29 AM »

At this stage, the following people will almost certainly be elected:
Lewis
Rocky

The following person is likely to be elected:
Afleitch

The following people are in a 4 way runoff for the last 2 spots:
Colin
Earl
Sensei
CultureKing

I do not believe that is mathematically likely that anybody else can be elected.

Bacon King is certainly still in contention.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2008, 07:38:44 AM »

I worked it out the same way as Lewis.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies