Name one thing you liked about the last recent Presidents
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:28:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Name one thing you liked about the last recent Presidents
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Name one thing you liked about the last recent Presidents  (Read 1044 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 18, 2008, 02:46:23 PM »

Name one thing you liked about the last recent Presidents:

Nixon
Ford
Carter
Reagan
Bush
Clinton
Bush
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 03:33:32 PM »

Bush Jr.: His gaffes and listening to him speak.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 03:56:30 PM »

Nixon -- a number of things.  I like his dialogue with our enemies.  I liked his willingness to support -- or at least sign into law -- legislation that was anathema to the business wing of his party.

Ford --  The Earned Income Tax Credit was his idea.

Carter --  There is LOTS I like about the man.  Very little about his Presidency.  I think he did yeoman's work on the Camp David accords.  Even his critics admit it was a great moment and one that still holds strong today.  I love his compassion and committment to social justice.  But as a President, I am afraid I cannot be terribly enthusiastic.

Reagan --  Like Nixon, not a fan at all.  Still, I applaud his embrace of the EITC and his willingness to negotiate with the Soviet Union. Also able to compromise with Democrats on some legislation.

Bush --  My favorite Republican since Ike.  The Americans With Disabilities Act was a costly move on his part.  It infuriated business leaders.  But it was the morally right thing to do and he did it.  His handling of the first Gulf War was outstanding.  Unlike Sonny Boy, he actually knew that the devil we knew was better than the devil we didn't know...so he didn't try to invade and occupy. 

Clinton --  Pretty favorable, on the whole.  Handled Somalia as best he could, since it was left in his lap by the previous administration.  Did as much as any President could to capture or kill bin Laden, short of invading Afghanistan or Pakistan.  Excellent record on job creation and deficit reduction. Balkan operations, which I opposed, turned out better than anyone could have expected...largely due to his choice of men and women to oversee the project(s). 

Bush --  Name one thing?  Well...he's a devoted husband and father.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 04:26:47 PM »

Nixon-he supported Israel in the Yom Kipper war when he really didn't have to (nobody else was except the Dutch)
Ford-i have no idea...not much
Carter-deregulated the airlines
Reagan-he told the air traffic controllers to go suck eggs
Bush-looking back..not much.
Clinton-hmmm, he did lead to a lot of good jokes on late night comedy shows
Bush-ditto
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 06:13:56 PM »

Nixon: Support of civil rights.
Ford: He was a nice person.
Carter: Created parkland in Alaska.
Reagan: He was from California?
Bush: Didn't invade Iraq when America wasn't ready.
Clinton: Helped cut the national deficit.
Bush: Made it hard to lose 2008.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 06:27:18 PM »

Nixon: His Inane commentaries like "I guess it means something different to get stoned at Grateful Dead concerts", that and he couldn't like, sound or taste more like a conservative cliche.

Ford: Couldn't fart or Chew Gum at the same Gum. Apparently.

Carter: His hilarious quasi-bitterness after leaving office. Though I guess Camp David runs a close second.

Reagan: The imagery of his speeches and how comical it was, the difference between what he said and what he did. Confirmed Satire's death.

Bush the Elder: Reading "I care" from the teleprompter during a speech to workers groups (? Can't quite fully recall.) Throwing up at the Japanese Prime Minister = Second.

Clinton: He confirmed what we all knew, America is run by Jocks. Cemented his place in the Jockocracy by showing his depth of philosophical thought by wondering what 'sex' meant or even better the word 'is'. A thinker for our time.

Bush the Younger: Marked the Rebirth of Satire, probably too dumb to fart and Chew Gum at the same time though we haven't confirmed it yet. The Fuzzy-Wuzziness Triangulation comfort blanket shielding me from reality speeches were also good. (See Reagan, Ronald)
Probably belonged more in the Youtube clip below than in the Oval Office, it would have alot funnier without the tragic or maddening aspect of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSqkdcT25ss
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 07:38:50 PM »

Nixon-Strong supporter of Israel.
Ford-Had the courage to pardon Nixon.
Carter-Camp David Accords
Reagan-Put Sandra Day O'Connor on the SCOTUS.
Bush-Put David Souter on the SCOTUS
Clinton-Reduced the deficit, great job in the Balkans.
Bush-Made me love SNL.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 09:32:22 PM »

Nixon--He had the sense to support environmental protection measures

Ford--I have no idea...

Carter--He understands that mending relationships and bringing greater peace to the world is best done through dialogue, not slamming doors in peoples' faces and refusing to talk to them.

Reagan--Despite his seemingly inhumane economic policies, he himself was very human.

Bush--He had the guts to marry Barbara.. oh, and Voodoo economics

Clinton--He's very intelligent... tends to think more in the long term.

Bush--His work on AIDS prevention ... George and Laura gave much more to charity over the past 8 years than the Cheneys, yet the Cheneys made much more money.. that says something.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 09:52:34 PM »

All of them since the 60s--That theyre all not in office anymore.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 10:17:28 PM »

Richard Nixon - Nixon's Enemies List was a crackup, why would anybody hate Hanoi Jane?

Gerald Ford - One of the most decent men to rule the United States, though as Gully said before a man that couldn't fart or chew gum at the same time must be something special Tongue.

Jimmy Carter - His brother Billy and how he had his own brand of beer. Billy Beer.

Ronald Reagan - Urgh. Despite his terrible Presidency he seemed like a decent fellow.

George H.W. Bush - Read my lips, I won't raise taxes and he did. Hehe. Probably the last okay Republican in the White House.

Bill Clinton - An intelligent person from the South? I've never heard of that before. I'm kidding. He somehow had the guts to marry Hillary, poor man. One of my favourite Presidents.

George W. Bush - Gaffes, Gaffes, Gaffes.
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 10:19:25 PM »

Nixon - He resigned
Ford - He didn't get re-elected
Carter - He was from the South
Reagan - He beat Mondale
Bush Sr. - He didn't get re-elected
Clinton - He was from Arkansas
Bush Jr. - ...ummm...errr...c'mon, gotta think of something....
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 10:20:31 PM »

Jimmy Carter - His brother Billy and how he had his own brand of beer. Billy Beer.

Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies