Name one thing you liked about the last recent Presidents (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:12:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Name one thing you liked about the last recent Presidents (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Name one thing you liked about the last recent Presidents  (Read 1069 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« on: April 18, 2008, 03:56:30 PM »

Nixon -- a number of things.  I like his dialogue with our enemies.  I liked his willingness to support -- or at least sign into law -- legislation that was anathema to the business wing of his party.

Ford --  The Earned Income Tax Credit was his idea.

Carter --  There is LOTS I like about the man.  Very little about his Presidency.  I think he did yeoman's work on the Camp David accords.  Even his critics admit it was a great moment and one that still holds strong today.  I love his compassion and committment to social justice.  But as a President, I am afraid I cannot be terribly enthusiastic.

Reagan --  Like Nixon, not a fan at all.  Still, I applaud his embrace of the EITC and his willingness to negotiate with the Soviet Union. Also able to compromise with Democrats on some legislation.

Bush --  My favorite Republican since Ike.  The Americans With Disabilities Act was a costly move on his part.  It infuriated business leaders.  But it was the morally right thing to do and he did it.  His handling of the first Gulf War was outstanding.  Unlike Sonny Boy, he actually knew that the devil we knew was better than the devil we didn't know...so he didn't try to invade and occupy. 

Clinton --  Pretty favorable, on the whole.  Handled Somalia as best he could, since it was left in his lap by the previous administration.  Did as much as any President could to capture or kill bin Laden, short of invading Afghanistan or Pakistan.  Excellent record on job creation and deficit reduction. Balkan operations, which I opposed, turned out better than anyone could have expected...largely due to his choice of men and women to oversee the project(s). 

Bush --  Name one thing?  Well...he's a devoted husband and father.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies