The Midgard Chronicle
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:37:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Midgard Chronicle
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12
Author Topic: The Midgard Chronicle  (Read 31122 times)
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: January 21, 2005, 12:17:05 AM »

News bulletin, 20th January 10:47pm Atlasia Standard Time.

"The KEmperor gunman is believed to be cornered. Police have refused to give details but we are now aware that their search is focussed in the South Region. They have also confirmed reports that the sticker on the back windscreen of the gunman's car was promoting an anti-abortion campaign. The plates are believed to be customised. KEmperor is yet to release any statements on his shooting, although was thought to be relieved that the gunman will soon find the noose tightening."

This has been a Midgard Wire Service Report.

Wow, I never thought they would catch the guy.  Anti-abortion eh?  Perhaps he was angry at the court overturning the Boss Abortion Act a while back.

Considering that the Boss Abortion Act was rescinded on the orders of this Attorney General when I summarily reviewed the effects of the Constitutional Amendment on Fritz v. Ernest, I don't see how.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #251 on: January 21, 2005, 06:06:52 PM »

News bulletin, 20th January 10:47pm Atlasia Standard Time.

"The KEmperor gunman is believed to be cornered. Police have refused to give details but we are now aware that their search is focussed in the South Region. They have also confirmed reports that the sticker on the back windscreen of the gunman's car was promoting an anti-abortion campaign. The plates are believed to be customised. KEmperor is yet to release any statements on his shooting, although was thought to be relieved that the gunman will soon find the noose tightening."

This has been a Midgard Wire Service Report.

That's pretty low to attack the Right to Life Movement Hugh.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #252 on: January 21, 2005, 06:17:39 PM »

How is it attacking the Right to Life Movement?  It's simply a fact that a very small minority of the pro-life crowd have very violent tendencies.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #253 on: January 21, 2005, 06:20:05 PM »

How is it attacking the Right to Life Movement?  It's simply a fact that a very small minority of the pro-life crowd have very violent tendencies.

Well I guess I kind of snapped there. My appologies.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #254 on: January 21, 2005, 06:23:26 PM »

Well I guess I kind of snapped there. My appologies.

No problem, we all have our moments. Smiley
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #255 on: January 21, 2005, 09:47:52 PM »

Originally it was going to be an anti-DP crusader, but then I realised they probably wouldn't shoot someone Smiley

Anti-abortion was the only other hoice really, because of the court case KEmperor stated. Also, the extremists anti-abortionites are more militant then the extremist anti-DPers.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #256 on: January 21, 2005, 09:50:31 PM »

What is "DP"?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #257 on: January 21, 2005, 09:56:55 PM »

Death Penalty Smiley
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #258 on: January 24, 2005, 05:58:39 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2005, 02:25:09 PM by Jake »

I've decided to start a new GM thread in addition to this unofficial one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The news for January 24th, 2005

Top US General in Iraq calls for more funding!!!

Washington D.C.-At a news conference in Washington today, General George Casey Jr., the Commander of the Multi National Force in Iraq, called for more money to aid in military operations and reconstruction over the next year. The total amount he called for was "in the 80 billion dollar range".

In other news,

MagLev Group applauds work on bill

Baltimore-Today, the Baltimore/Washington Maglev Project applauded the efforts of Senator Supersoulty and others on a Mag/Lev Research Bill.  In a statement from the groups chairman, they say,"The work done by the Senate on this topic is very promising. Research into this area is badly needed, and this Senate has finally begun to address these needs." The group also called for a change in the route saying, "Planning is already in place for a Maglev line stretching from Boston to Charlotte. They shouldn't pull the rug out from under our planning efforts like that." The group pledged to keep commenting on the bill's progress and they say they desire to get this project moving "as fast as humanly possible".
also,

Anti-Abortion Groups rally at Capitol Building
They Promise "No More"

Today, 50,000 anti-abortion protestors rallied at the US Capitol Building.  They marched up the mall after a prayer session at the Lincoln Memorial and preceeded to picket the Capitol. All day, speakers called for the outlawing of abortion and the end to murder. The protestors also called for the Senators to press their Regional Governments for anti-abortion legislation. We have yet to hear of any reaction from the government, but it is believed the President will make a statement shortly.

and,

Abortion Rights Groups prepare lawsuits in South Eastern Region

Memphis-Today, the Southeastern Regional Chapter of NARAL announced a lawsuit against the Southeastern Region contesting the legality of the Abortion Initiative that passed this past weekend.  The Group says the law is superceded by the Supreme Court ruling in Roe v. Wade and further rulings that legalized abortion thorughout the states and regions. More to come.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #259 on: January 26, 2005, 07:49:49 PM »

The News for January 26th, 2005

Iraq gears up for weekend election

Baghdad-Top Iraqi leaders here in the capital city of Iraq are cautiously optimistic about this weekend's scheduled elections. Interior Minister Falah Hassan al-Naqib said today, "the people are ready, our polling stations aare prepared, and our security is vigilant.  Iraq's elections will succeed." In other news in Iraq, a CH-53E Super Stallion helicopter carrying marines from the 1st Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment, went down due to engine failure ten miles north of Fallujah.  23 marines perished and another 12 were wounded in the crash. Also, General George Casey called again on the Atlasian Senate to appropriate, immediately, money for military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan past January of this year.

British Foreign Secretary wary of US Government Reorganization

London-British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw spoke out today about the proposed reorganization of Atlasian Cabinet. A bill introduced by Senator Al, calls for the grouping of the various departments into five new departments.  The most contreversial idea put out so far is the grouping of the Department of State and Department of Defense into one Department of State and Defense. Straw said this proposal, "would send the wrong message to the rest of the world by combining the job of a diplomat and the job of a soldier into one." So far the bill has met only tepid approval from the Senate, and voting is ungoing.

Ceasefire in Palestine

Tel Aviv-Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas today announced a cease fire agreement with two Palestinian terror groups, Hamas and Islamic Jihad.  The agreement calls for a general ceasing of attacks on Israel for the next thirty days. This is a key part of the Israeli-Palestinian peace deal because Prime Minister Ariel Sharon has refused to negotiate until Abbas can quiet the militia groups.

Major Anti-War Protest in New York

New York City-The peace group United for Peace and Justice held a major protest today in New York City. Over ten thousands marchers from all over the US braved the sleet and freezing temperatures to protest the War in Iraq. Leaders of the march called for an immediate pull out from Iraq and the arrest of Defense Secretary John Ford for war crimes. They also protested President PBrunsel's response to the China Crisis. Many protestors carried signs saying, "Trade over Taiwan".

Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #260 on: January 28, 2005, 10:33:30 PM »

Secretary of Defense in Baghdad

Baghdad-Secretary of Defense John Ford has arrived in Baghdad and is preparing to visit polling stations around the area. He says he is here to show his confidence in the security in place. The ongoing elections are seen as the most important event to happen so far in the US occupation of Iraq. We will bring you more as this story develops.

NASA plans shuttle flight for February
Safety Problems Worked Out

Nyman D.C.-At a news conference today in Nyman, NASA administrators announced that a shuttle flight was planned for "early February". The orbiter Discovery is the expected shuttle that will be used.  The shuttle fleet has been grounded since the tragedy of February 2nd, when the shuttle Columbia disintegrated over Texas. The problem with foam insulation panels breaking off was solved, and top engineers now say it is safe to resume shuttle flights. This is welcome news for the crew of the International Space Station, which has been subsisting on cargo transported by outmoded Soyuz orbiters.

Not as big as I'd hope for.  Any ideas for scenarios can be sent by PM or e-mail.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #261 on: January 29, 2005, 08:22:41 PM »

MASSIVE BLAST ROCKS BAGHDAD

Midgard Wire Services-January-29-2005 19:47 EST
At approximately 19:27 EST, a massive explosion rocked Western Baghdad. Rumors are that traces of Sarin gas are being detected. No official confirmation of that yet. Developing...
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #262 on: January 29, 2005, 08:51:44 PM »

MASSIVE BLAST ROCKS BAGHDAD

Midgard Wire Services-January-29-2005 19:47 EST
At approximately 19:27 EST, a massive explosion rocked Western Baghdad. Rumors are that traces of Sarin gas are being detected. No official confirmation of that yet. Developing...

Is this from some wire service?  I thought there weren't going to be new scenarios.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #263 on: February 02, 2005, 09:04:23 AM »

Actually, it's Double Penetration.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #264 on: February 02, 2005, 07:03:57 PM »

There are many meanings of "DP", Lewis.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #265 on: February 08, 2005, 04:20:34 PM »

News
[/b]

Today's news items:

Situation in Sudan 'dire'

The situation in the Sudan is heating up dramatically. Possible US intervention has led Eritrean leaders to move troops to their border with Sudan, and are threatening to invade. Chad government leaders have given Sudan 72 hours to crack down on Janjaweed and eliminate the string of border incursions, or face an invasion. African Union officials have no comment. Many are wondering if the AU will pull out, or assist US or even Chad forces in an intervention. Over 20,000 have been killed in the resumption of the Darfur genocide, reports indicate.

Other news items:
*Londonderry Mining, Ltd files for bankruptcy
* Abbas, Sharon declare temporary cease-fire in preparation for peace talks in Sharm-al-Sheikh
* San Francisco implements 17 cent tax on grocery bags, a 27 cent tax on shopping bags, and a 7 cent tax on sandwich bags. Oakland, Santa Barbara considering similar measures
*PM of Taiwan states that "Taiwan is not, at present, a part of China, any more than we are a part of India or Mozambique." Chinese leaders outraged by statement.   
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #266 on: February 18, 2005, 07:35:15 PM »

HEADLINE NEWS!!!! [/b][/i]

Stop the presses! Major headlines ahead:

A terrorist attack has destroyed the voting thread! Although votes are being recovered as we speak, mayhem has struck the elections process, compounded the recent absence of SoFA StevenNick. The motives of the attack are unknown. Some believe that the prospects of a Naso victory demolished the thread, pointing to disgruntled Nym90 supporters. However, insides sources indicate a possible connection to Al Qaeda sleeper cells.

Also.... as of 6:30 PM today, a state of War exists between Sudan and the nations of Chad and Eritrea... aid workers have reported seeing Chadian military forces clashing with both Janjaweed and Sudanese military in Darfur... The Eritrean government has reported that Eritrean forces have seized border towns on the Red Sea. China is threatening sanctions against both Chad and Eritrea...
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #267 on: February 18, 2005, 07:42:29 PM »

A terrorist attack has destroyed the voting thread! Although votes are being recovered as we speak, mayhem has struck the elections process, compounded the recent absence of SoFA StevenNick. The motives of the attack are unknown. Some believe that the prospects of a Naso victory demolished the thread, pointing to disgruntled Nym90 supporters. However, insides sources indicate a possible connection to Al Qaeda sleeper cells.

No, Naso's ballots exploded and destroyed the entire polling booth!
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #268 on: February 18, 2005, 11:28:50 PM »

Uhh, what?  I was under the mpression that there would not be any more scenarios, just that the GM would describe the outcomes of policies so we all know what the hell is going on in the world.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #269 on: February 19, 2005, 01:06:57 AM »

That is all but impossible, John.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #270 on: February 19, 2005, 01:15:42 AM »

How so?

If its because he can't resist the temptation to make things up, then we find someone with discipline.  If its because people think its too much of workload, that's not very believable since it takes more time to make things up that write about what's happenning when someone else basically writes the stroy for you.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #271 on: February 19, 2005, 01:18:58 AM »

How so?

If its because he can't resist the temptation to make things up, then we find someone with discipline.  If its because people think its too much of workload, that's not very believable since it takes more time to make things up that write about what's happenning when someone else basically writes the stroy for you.

Did I see somewhere that you were wanting to be GM?

If so, I thought that that was a great idea.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #272 on: February 19, 2005, 01:19:23 AM »

Not really. The senate passes maybe 3 bills a week, and for each one you have to analyse how it effcts the nation and the world. if you get it wrong, you get criticised strongly.

I tried to keep the number of new storylines down, and I believe I did it. I continued storylines and did get some scenarios from what the government had done, but my focus was on letting the government react, and not overloading it with stuff to react to,

Aome people say I was a sh**t GM, and whilst I know Niles was better then me, I think I did a good job on a damn hard task, especially for someone who lives on the other side of the world.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #273 on: February 19, 2005, 01:47:23 AM »

Not really. The senate passes maybe 3 bills a week, and for each one you have to analyse how it effcts the nation and the world. if you get it wrong, you get criticised strongly.

I tried to keep the number of new storylines down, and I believe I did it. I continued storylines and did get some scenarios from what the government had done, but my focus was on letting the government react, and not overloading it with stuff to react to,

Aome people say I was a sh**t GM, and whilst I know Niles was better then me, I think I did a good job on a damn hard task, especially for someone who lives on the other side of the world.

I didn't think you were a sh**t Gm, if I recall correctly you were handicapped by family going to aid tsunami victims so you just weren't active.  Also, some of the things we did as a government made the job harder, if you know what I mean.

How is your mom, btw?

Anyway, i don't think the Gm should provide in depth analysis or anything, or even tie news to bills explicitly.  But we have less idea what our world looks like than we should.  We need to know certain things to make policy.  Broad things.  Is the economy in recession or growing?  Is violence in Iraq climbing or subsiding?  One thing I want to do if I become GM is do some stories that affect the regions in some way.  Give the people a sense of this Atlasian world we live in is all.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #274 on: March 02, 2005, 03:23:05 AM »

***SMUDGE REPORT***
[/size]

Rumors of a major corporate merger are taking shape involving the Midgard Corporation, which includes the Midgard Chronicle Newspaper and the Caulder Consultancies Company, Atlasia's equivalent to the RAND Corporation.  A group of Atasian investors led by Senator John Ford are planning to buy up the company.

Midgard Corporation was once the largest and most vibrant multimedia company in the world, but languished after debonair founder Niles Caulder fell ill of an unkown disease and retreated from public view to his private Caribbean Island.  Three men have held the title of CEO at Midgard since Caulder disapeared, none have fared well seeming to lack the energy and direction to lead such a company.

The buyout will cost a mere $45 million for a company that was once worth over $3 billion.  It is widely assumed, though not guaranteed that Ford will become the President and CEO at Midgard.

Developing...[/b]
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies