Happy 420! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:09:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Happy 420! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Happy 420!  (Read 6617 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« on: April 20, 2008, 04:22:34 PM »

Another pointless thread/"holiday."
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 07:12:18 AM »

This p*sses me off.  I hope all of those people get arrested.

What a silly thing to say. I don't smoke but I don't care if other people want to. It's their business.

Why is it silly?  They were breaking the law, and therefore should be punished.

If they weren't breaking the law, this "holiday" wouldn't even exist.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 12:03:44 PM »

They were breaking the law, and therefore should be punished.

Most people are able to recognize that the law is not always inherently right.  Supporting cannabis prohibition only because it is the status quo is circular logic.

There could be any number of reasons for your irrational support of incarceration of cannabis users, but whatever they are, you clearly don't want to reveal them.

blah blah blah ... until it is changed, it is still against the law, and therefore, the people should be punished.  You can't talk your way around that.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 12:24:19 PM »

It seems silly to me to get pissed off and act vindictive over this and hope for their arrest. (Very few people, if any got arrested though naturally) Like I said, I don't smoke so I really don't have the heart to heavily defend my stance but it's of no concern to me what they do on 4/20. On a related note, one of my classes was canceled today. The professor said he was "sick". Probably still baked from yesterday.

I wasn't the one calling for them to be arrested.  I said punished.  I was merely responding to your comment about Driedapples comment being "silly."  If you break the law, you get punished.  Not a hard concept to grasp.

blah blah blah ... until it is changed, it is still against the law, and therefore, the people should be punished.  You can't talk your way around that.

I read an article a few hours ago about a man in a Middle Eastern country who was found by police and tortured to death for violating Taliban orders not to teach girls algebra.

But hey, the jerk was breaking the law right?

Yeah, because we torture drug users to death in the U.S. all the time.  Roll Eyes
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 12:31:15 PM »

Yeah, because we torture drug users to death in the U.S. all the time.  Roll Eyes

I'm simply suggesting that the law is not always right.  I can give you examples of unfair laws "in the U.S." if you really want, but then you'd be missing the point (although probably intentionally).

Now stop being silly and explain why marijuana should be illegal, instead of repeating that it is illegal.

I'm not missing your point.  It's just a stupid argument.  Besides, why should I have to explain why something should be illegal?  I'm not defending it.  I'm merely stating that if someone willfully breaks the law, they should accept the punishment for it.  Why you are avoiding that fact is beyond me.  And yes, we have a ton of silly laws on the books that should be revoked, yet while they stand, so do the punishment.  Even I can give you examples if you want.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 12:58:37 PM »

No, it's not a "fact" that people should be punished for breaking stupid laws.

Gay people who live in states where anti-sodomy laws haven't been repealed shouldn't be punished, for example, nor would I expect someone who uses marijuana in the privacy of their own home to be punished when getting drunk is legal.

Victims of unfair punishment should not just "accept" it.  The law should be openly ignored until lawmakers find the common sense to change it.

"The law should  be openly ignored until the lawmakers find the common sense to change it."

*dies laughin* 

Then work towards changing the laws, not violating them since you think they are stupid.  Violating them and not expecting to suffer the consequences is stupid (and lacks the common sense you reference).  Really.  Even an elementary kid can figure that out.

MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 06:51:39 PM »

Well, you guys do sound kind of cranky, especially when you repeat the same thing over again and act butt hurt over it.

We wouldn't repeat it so often if you guys would listen.  Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies