Which is these do you agree with?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:08:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Which is these do you agree with?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which is these do you agree with?  (Read 3646 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2008, 02:29:02 PM »

I've heard all of them said to me:

You hate gay people because you oppose gay marriage
You hate Mexicans because you oppose illegal immigration
You hate Jews because you support Palestine
You hate women because you oppose abortion
You hate poor people because you support eliminating welfare
You hate blacks because you support legalizing drugs
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 02:50:59 PM »

You hate gay people because you oppose gay marriage - AGREE
You hate Mexicans because you oppose illegal immigration - AGREE
You hate Jews because you support Palestine - DISAGREE
You hate women because you oppose abortion - AGREE
You hate poor people because you support eliminating welfare - AGREE
You hate blacks because you support legalizing drugs - DISAGREE
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 03:16:22 PM »

You hate gay people because you oppose gay marriage - DISAGREE
You hate Mexicans because you oppose illegal immigration - DISAGREE
You hate Jews because you support Palestine - DISAGREE
You hate women because you oppose abortion - AGREE
You hate poor people because you support eliminating welfare - AGREE
You hate blacks because you support legalizing drugs - DISAGREE
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 05:04:46 PM »

all disagree
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 05:25:37 PM »

I usually hear...

You hate America because you oppose the Patriot Act.
You hate the troops because you oppose the Iraq War.
You hate freedom because you oppose The Decider.
You hate Jesus because you oppose government-funded expressions of religion.
You hate babies because you support abortion rights.

But I am sure conservatives get treated to some of the same crap, only in reverse.  It really makes me wanna hork when I hear this crap.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 05:30:23 PM »

I usually hear...

But I am sure conservatives get treated to some of the same crap, only in reverse.  It really makes me wanna hork when I hear this crap.

Such cynicism is extremely un-American, JSojourner.  Angry
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 05:32:07 PM »

I usually hear...

LOL!

Shut up Joe.  You're an independent.  You must hate...uhhh...erm...say...what is it you Independants hate again?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 05:35:18 PM »

I disagree with all the statements the way they are worded.

You don't necessarily hate poor people if you support eliminating welfare, but you basically don't give a damn about their welfare and lives. Hatred is not to be confused with indifference. Both are bad, but mean seperate things.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 05:35:39 PM »

I usually hear...

LOL!

Shut up Joe.  You're an independent.  You must hate...uhhh...erm...say...what is it you Independants hate again?

Hillary Clinton, mainly.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 06:41:59 PM »

You hate gay people because you oppose gay marriage
That's the only one that's almost always true.  The rest are silly generalizations.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 07:24:37 PM »

I usually hear...

LOL!

Hillary Clinton, mainly.

LOL!  Are you the one? 

::: ducking :::
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 08:34:50 PM »

You hate gay people because you oppose gay marriage- sort of Agree

Disagree to all the others.

I say sort of to the gay statement because I dislike the idea of state sanctioned marriage regardless of sexuality.  In my ideal world if you want to get married you go to a religious institution; if you want to legally bind your life to the life of another person then you go to the courthouse.  I guess a simpler way to say it is that I'm in favor of universal civil unions.  So if your opinion is similar to mine then I would say disagree but if you are against any form of government recognition of gay unions then yes, you hate gay people.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 09:04:35 PM »

None - although I come close to hating Mexicans.  Why?  Because, being part Mexican, it saddens me that so many Mexicans think that they can just walk over to America and have the taxpayers fund their lives and health expenses.  So, I don't hate them, I'm just strongly dissappointed in them.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 10:51:08 AM »

I disagreed with them all, then I realized you had them all mixed up...

You hate gay people because you you support Palestine
You hate Mexicans because you support legalizing drugs
You hate Jews because you support eliminating welfare
You hate women because you oppose gay marriage
You hate poor people because you oppose abortion
You hate blacks because you oppose illegal immigration
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 11:48:15 AM »

You hate gay people because you oppose gay marriage - Correct
You hate Mexicans because you oppose illegal immigration - Correct
You hate Jews because you support Palestine - Incorrect
You hate women because you oppose abortion - Incorrect - though you probably do hate women
You hate poor people because you support eliminating welfare - Correct, if we define hate to mean "couldn't care less whether they live or die because of your own financial comfort", you selfish moron.
You hate blacks because you support legalizing drugs - Incorrect [though obviously the person who made the statement is a racist, like yourself]
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 12:01:55 PM »

Disagree with all.

You hate gay people because you oppose gay marriage - Some people who oppose gay marriage also hate gay people, but rather they oppose gay marriage because they hate gay people. In your case I'd venture to guess that it's mainly just strong religious convictions.

You hate Mexicans because you oppose illegal immigration - Some people oppose illegal immigration because they hate a specific ethnic group that immigrates illegally on a large scale, but you don't have to hate anyone to oppose it.

You hate Jews because you support Palestine - That's just ridiculous.

You hate women because you oppose abortion - You might as well say that you hate babies if you support abortion. Yes, many women would be significantly affected if abortion were illegal but that does not mean one hates women just because one opposes abortion. Typically it just means you value the fetus as a human and that the fetus' rights trump the effects taking it to term would have on the woman's life.

You hate poor people because you support eliminating welfare - Again, ridiculous. You could oppose government welfare and be personally charitable to the poor.

You hate blacks because you support legalizing drugs - That's a really, really weird one. Claiming that you hate blacks because you support keeping drugs illegal would make more sense, though it wouldn't necessarily be true either.

Pretty much anything like this is usually just hyperbole meant to demonize people who disagree.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 03:46:56 PM »

I disagree with all the statements the way they are worded.

You don't necessarily hate poor people if you support eliminating welfare, but you basically don't give a damn about their welfare and lives. Hatred is not to be confused with indifference. Both are bad, but mean seperate things.

They may be separate things psychologically, but practically and in a social sense they are both hatred.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 03:48:13 PM »

None - although I come close to hating Mexicans.  Why?  Because, being part Mexican, it saddens me that so many Mexicans think that they can just walk over to America and have the taxpayers fund their lives and health expenses.  So, I don't hate them, I'm just strongly dissappointed in them.

You poor ass, they come here for brutal, poorly paid toil in the worst sort of jobs.  They certainly receieve nothing from the government.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 05:49:28 PM »

You hate gay people because you oppose gay marriage - Some people who oppose gay marriage also hate gay people, but rather they oppose gay marriage because they hate gay people. In your case I'd venture to guess that it's mainly just strong religious convictions.
People who hate gays on "religious grounds" still hate them.  It just means the religion is hateful too.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2008, 06:19:57 PM »

People who hate gays on "religious grounds" still hate them.  It just means the religion is hateful too.
You missed Dibble's point which was opposing gay marriage on religious grounds, not gay people.  That's like saying you think murder is wrong and you do not want to set murderers free, but at the same time you do not deny them a fair trial.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2008, 06:22:17 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2008, 06:30:16 PM by Bilo »

I've heard all of them said to me:

You hate gay people because you oppose gay marriage - YES- This is what it feels like to me. You generally have to dislike someone to deprive them happiness.
You hate Mexicans because you oppose illegal immigration - YES- I base this on disparite reactions to various undocumented groups. New York City is CRAWLING with white immigrants (mostly Irish and Canadian undocumenteds), but no one seems to care.   
You hate Jews because you support Palestine - MAYBE- I'm torn on this. I don't think we should oppose Israeli after having rescued most of them and had such a great relationship with them. Jews are an ethnic group needs some type of ancestoral homeland to avoid persecution. The same can probably be applied to the Kurds.
You hate women because you oppose abortion-  MAYBE- I honestly don't know how Fundamentalists and Catholics think. Really, I don't. I am open to any reasonable rationale that deals with the issue facially as well as the affects.
You hate poor people because you support eliminating welfare - MAYBE - I really don't understand the entire "be charitable, but don't vote for charity" thing.
You hate blacks because you support legalizing drugs - NO

You missed Dibble's point which was opposing gay marriage on religious grounds, not gay people.  That's like saying you think murder is wrong and you do not want to set murderers free, but at the same time you do not deny them a fair trial.
Then again, comparing gays to killers isn't the greatest analogy.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2008, 09:52:13 PM »

So you're arguing love-the-sinner, hate-the-sin?
Well ok I guess that's better than nothing, but I still think that's pretty hateful when science has proven that they can't help but be that way.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2008, 11:23:39 PM »

You poor ass, they come here for brutal, poorly paid toil in the worst sort of jobs.  They certainly receieve nothing from the government.
If this were true (it obviously isn't) why would they risk their lives to get here then?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2008, 11:59:59 PM »

Well, at least you're consistent.  Consistently wrong!

Suggest you read, The Economic and Fiscal Impact of Immigration by Edwin S. Rubenstein.

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2008, 03:17:11 PM »

Hang on wait a minute, Isn't this all in the wrong grammatical order or am I high?

Shouldn't this be "you oppose illegal immigration because you hate Mexicans".. what DWTL made it sound was that he decided to oppose gay marriage and then became homophobic. Which makes no sense. Or I'm high, I'm not sure which.

Anyway none of those statements are true. Even if it is hard to find an anti-gay marriage arguement that doesn't feature the scary gays (I could try, but I wouldn't agree with it).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies