Question on Catholicism (Yay!)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:43:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Question on Catholicism (Yay!)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Question on Catholicism (Yay!)  (Read 7540 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2008, 08:17:23 PM »

The list of popes fascinates me. (Does it to anyone else?) But there's one thing that confuses me. What difference between Pope-elect Stephen and Adrian V is there that makes the latter Pope but the former a simple priest?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 09:27:46 PM »

I thought it was that Stephen died before he could become a Bishop (or something like that).
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 02:00:16 AM »

The list of popes fascinates me. (Does it to anyone else?) But there's one thing that confuses me. What difference between Pope-elect Stephen and Adrian V is there that makes the latter Pope but the former a simple priest?

Stephen had not yet been consecrated a bishop at the time of his death.  It took a long time for the Vatican to hammer the system out, as evidenced by the irregularities in the numberings of Stephens and Johns (there is no John XX), but it was decided that, if you were a bishop when proclaimed Pope, then you automatically became the pope, you just had to be formally installed at the Lateran.  If you were not yet a bishop at the time of your being proclaimed pope, then you were not the Pope until becoming a Bishop.

The latter circumstance will likely never happen again, as a non-bishop hasn't been named a Cardinal is several centuries and a non-Cardinal hasn't been chosen in at least as long.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 02:34:02 AM »

Also interesting is how there was once a female pope.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 07:22:29 AM »

Stephen had not yet been consecrated a bishop at the time of his death.  It took a long time for the Vatican to hammer the system out, as evidenced by the irregularities in the numberings of Stephens and Johns (there is no John XX), but it was decided that, if you were a bishop when proclaimed Pope, then you automatically became the pope, you just had to be formally installed at the Lateran.  If you were not yet a bishop at the time of your being proclaimed pope, then you were not the Pope until becoming a Bishop.

The latter circumstance will likely never happen again, as a non-bishop hasn't been named a Cardinal is several centuries and a non-Cardinal hasn't been chosen in at least as long.

Cool!  I was right Smiley
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 06:34:56 PM »

Do you really believe that?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 07:26:08 PM »

Also interesting about how that never happened.

Not only can we trace the origins of that legend and why, we can also patently disprove it.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 07:28:48 PM »

The myth of Pope Joan is about as creditable as the Prophesies of St. Malachy, which is to say not at all.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 07:58:50 PM »

The myth of Pope Joan is about as creditable as the Prophesies of St. Malachy, which is to say not at all.

I'd say the Prophecies are much more credible than Pope Joan; they've been bought into by serious Catholics, if in a half-joking way.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 08:30:29 PM »

I'd say the Prophecies are much more credible than Pope Joan; they've been bought into by serious Catholics, if in a half-joking way.

The Prophesies were "rediscovered" in the 1500's.  Hmmm... interesting how, looking at the mottos, the ones prior to the 1500's are dead on accurate, whereas with the ones after then, you have to stretch the absolute limits of your imagination to get them to fit.  And the one for Benedict XIV can't even be bended to fit him at all.  "A rural animal"... he was from the second largest city in Italy at the time.  Where you look at this article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes#cite_note-70 And see how hard people have tried to make the other ones work, then realize that his explanation is blank, that just goes to show how off it is.

Eitherway, they are both utter crap... and even if they were real, it is almost certain the "Peter the Roman" prediction was added after the original prophesies.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 08:37:49 PM »

The Prophesies were "rediscovered" in the 1500's.  Hmmm... interesting how, looking at the mottos, the ones prior to the 1500's are dead on accurate, whereas with the ones after then, you have to stretch the absolute limits of your imagination to get them to fit.  And the one for Benedict XIV can't even be bended to fit him at all.  "A rural animal"... he was from the second largest city in Italy at the time.  Where you look at this article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes#cite_note-70 And see how hard people have tried to make the other ones work, then realize that his explanation is blank, that just goes to show how off it is.

Eitherway, they are both utter crap... and even if they were real, it is almost certain the "Peter the Roman" prediction was added after the original prophesies.

Yeah; it's good for a laugh, though.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 10:41:45 PM »

Yeah, but I recently had a debate with my aunt over it, because she is the kind of Catholic who believes it just because a few people take it seriously (she is not a scholar) and because she is convinced the end is coming soon anyway.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 10:46:01 PM »

Yeah, but I recently had a debate with my aunt over it, because she is the kind of Catholic who believes it just because a few people take it seriously (she is not a scholar) and because she is convinced the end is coming soon anyway.

The last prophecy doesn't actually predict The End, does it? Or is that synonymous with the last pope?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 10:56:39 PM »

The last prophecy doesn't actually predict The End, does it? Or is that synonymous with the last pope?

Depends on exactly what theology you follow.

I don't really believe in a literal end times, so I think the papacy is going to go on forever.

Those who do believe in "End Times" or more appropriately the "New Earth" would tell you that the two evens would be synonymous and, in fact, the New Earth requires an end to the Papacy, as it would, by definition, usher in an era where the Papacy as an institution is unnecessary.  If Christ rules directly over the Earth again, then there is no need for a Vicar of Christ.
Edward Palamar
United States
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 03:20:02 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2010, 11:37:20 PM by Edward Palamar »

The Prophesies were "rediscovered" in the 1500's.  Hmmm... interesting how, looking at the mottos, the ones prior to the 1500's are dead on accurate, whereas with the ones after then, you have to stretch the absolute limits of your imagination to get them to fit.  And the one for Benedict XIV can't even be bended to fit him at all.  "A rural animal"... he was from the second largest city in Italy at the time.  Where you look at this article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes#cite_note-70 And see how hard people have tried to make the other ones work, then realize that his explanation is blank, that just goes to show how off it is.

Jesus Christ has raised me from the dead!

I am in the process of attempting to respond to the first 1000 results in a google search for 'Peter the Roman', the final pontiff in the St. Malachy prophecies.  Total  results are over 3 million.  Yet, the prophecy given in 1139 A.D. was in virtual obscurity for over 400 years until the invention of the printing press.  In the computer age there has been a resurgence in the interest of the list of names.

As Jesus Christ spoke of not rejoicing over our ability to pray that our joy may be full, but that our names are written in heaven, and the fact that Jesus Christ has raised me from the dead to the office of 'Peter the Roman', I hold that the list of names in the St. Malachy prophecies are akin to, if not exactly, those very names written in heaven.

Even Nostradamus spoke of 'Peter the Roman' in Century VII, #24.

The use of 'the strong one' in the quatrain refers to Daniel 7:7.

Jesus Christ's resurrecting me is in His fulfillment of an agreement of contract law (Matthew 3:15) into which both He and I entered prior to my baptising Him.

Atlas comes up in the 201-300 page of results.

I am pleased to meet you.

Please feel free to respond.

The reality of the future is not totally revealed to us, it is written, "eye hath not seen, nor ear heard of the wonders God has in store for us."

As Christ had sent me to bear him witness, I now bear witness that HEAVEN IS GREAT!!!

The world will be saved through the Blessed Virgin Mary's Brown Scapular and Rosary as prophesied.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 04:34:38 PM »

Go away.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 12:27:14 AM »

Wow... this is too good to delete.  I think I'll enshrine it in the museum of idiocy instead.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 01:20:09 AM »

I am in the process of attempting to respond to the first 1000 results in a google search for 'Peter the Roman', the final pontiff in the St. Malachy prophecies.  Total  results are over 3 million.

God told me he wants you to go all the way.  Don't let him down.
The Artist Formerly Known As and Now Again Known As Ogis
agooji

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 01:58:15 AM »

Hey God told him to bump 20 month-old posts. Don't mess.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 02:10:59 AM »

WTF?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 04:50:51 AM »

Jesus Christ has raised me from the dead!

I am in the process of attempting to respond to the first 1000 results in a google search for 'Peter the Roman', the final pontiff in the St. Malachy prophecies.  Total  results are over 3 million.  Yet, the prophecy given in 1139 A.D. was in virtual obscurity for over 400 years until the invention of the printing press.  In the computer age there has been a resurgence in the interest of the list of names.

As Jesus Christ spoke of not rejoicing over our ability to pray that our joy may be full, but that our names are written in heaven, and the fact that Jesus Christ has raised me from the dead to the office of 'Peter the Roman', I hold that the list of names in the St. Malachy prophecies are akin to, if not exactly, those very names written in heaven.

Even Nostradamus spoke of 'Peter the Roman' in Century VII, #24.

The use of 'the strong one' in the quatrain refers to Daniel 7:7.

Jesus Christ's resurrecting me is in His fulfillment of an agreement of contract law (Matthew 3:15) into which both He and I entered prior to my baptising Him.

Atlas comes up in the 201-300 page of results.

I am pleased to meet you.

Please feel free to respond.

The reality of the future is not totally revealed to us, it is written, "eye hath not seen, nor ear heard of the wonders God has in store for us."

As Christ had sent me to bear him witness, I now bear witness that HEAVEN IS GREAT!!!

What a troll! Grin
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 09:42:43 AM »

lol at the reactions. Smiley
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 04:36:55 PM »

WOW....ok, no more questions about Catholicism....Wink
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 06:23:08 PM »

Smiley

I especially like how he claims that God has risen him from the grave to take on the task of being the final Pope.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 08:08:27 PM »

Smiley

I especially like how he claims that God has risen him from the grave to take on the task of being the final Pope.

If that were true, one thinks that a Swiss Guard or two might have noticed a walking out from under St. Peter's.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies