Question on Catholicism (Yay!) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:05:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Question on Catholicism (Yay!) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question on Catholicism (Yay!)  (Read 7650 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« on: April 20, 2008, 08:17:23 PM »

The list of popes fascinates me. (Does it to anyone else?) But there's one thing that confuses me. What difference between Pope-elect Stephen and Adrian V is there that makes the latter Pope but the former a simple priest?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 06:34:56 PM »

Also interesting is how there was once a female pope.

Do you really believe that?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 07:58:50 PM »

The myth of Pope Joan is about as creditable as the Prophesies of St. Malachy, which is to say not at all.

I'd say the Prophecies are much more credible than Pope Joan; they've been bought into by serious Catholics, if in a half-joking way.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 08:37:49 PM »

The myth of Pope Joan is about as creditable as the Prophesies of St. Malachy, which is to say not at all.

I'd say the Prophecies are much more credible than Pope Joan; they've been bought into by serious Catholics, if in a half-joking way.

The Prophesies were "rediscovered" in the 1500's.  Hmmm... interesting how, looking at the mottos, the ones prior to the 1500's are dead on accurate, whereas with the ones after then, you have to stretch the absolute limits of your imagination to get them to fit.  And the one for Benedict XIV can't even be bended to fit him at all.  "A rural animal"... he was from the second largest city in Italy at the time.  Where you look at this article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes#cite_note-70 And see how hard people have tried to make the other ones work, then realize that his explanation is blank, that just goes to show how off it is.

Eitherway, they are both utter crap... and even if they were real, it is almost certain the "Peter the Roman" prediction was added after the original prophesies.

Yeah; it's good for a laugh, though.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 10:46:01 PM »

The Prophesies were "rediscovered" in the 1500's.  Hmmm... interesting how, looking at the mottos, the ones prior to the 1500's are dead on accurate, whereas with the ones after then, you have to stretch the absolute limits of your imagination to get them to fit.  And the one for Benedict XIV can't even be bended to fit him at all.  "A rural animal"... he was from the second largest city in Italy at the time.  Where you look at this article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes#cite_note-70 And see how hard people have tried to make the other ones work, then realize that his explanation is blank, that just goes to show how off it is.

Eitherway, they are both utter crap... and even if they were real, it is almost certain the "Peter the Roman" prediction was added after the original prophesies.

Yeah; it's good for a laugh, though.

Yeah, but I recently had a debate with my aunt over it, because she is the kind of Catholic who believes it just because a few people take it seriously (she is not a scholar) and because she is convinced the end is coming soon anyway.

The last prophecy doesn't actually predict The End, does it? Or is that synonymous with the last pope?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies