NJ-07 GOP sparring heats up
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:04:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NJ-07 GOP sparring heats up
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NJ-07 GOP sparring heats up  (Read 4355 times)
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2008, 10:18:22 PM »

http://www.philly.com/philly/wires/ap/news/state/new_jersey/20080416_ap_7thdistrictrepublicansclashoveradsandethics.html

Democrat Linda Stender has over $250k more in COH than do her two Republican foes combined. Obviously, every dollar Lance and Whitman spend against each other is one dollar that wasn't spend on a negative ad sliming Stender the Spender.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 12:56:11 AM »

Are the New Jersey Independents (aka Withdraw Troops Now) running someone again?  I think that may have screwed up Stender a bit last time.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 09:24:32 AM »

Fortunately for Lance and Whitman (hell, who are we kidding—fortunately for Lance), Stender's negatives are already high thanks to Mike Ferguson launching $3,000,000 worth of poison her way in 2006.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 09:33:27 AM »

Fortunately for Lance and Whitman (hell, who are we kidding—fortunately for Lance), Stender's negatives are already high thanks to Mike Ferguson launching $3,000,000 worth of poison her way in 2006.

This may be true, but high negatives don't appear to be an obstacle for Democrats seeking office in N.J., and she did extremely well in '06 even with that.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 11:16:12 AM »

This may be true, but high negatives don't appear to be an obstacle for Democrats seeking office in N.J., and she did extremely well in '06 even with that.

High Dem negatives should prove a problem in historically Republican NJ-07.  I do know that Lance's internal polling has him ahead of Stender by double digits (Whitman is ahead by single digits), and since Lance is not well known throughout the eastern part of the district, one can only assume that he does well on the basis of Stender's negatives and a simple GOP vote advantage here.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 06:24:02 PM »

What about the fact that Stender is outraising the Republicans combined?
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 06:43:07 PM »

High Dem negatives should prove a problem in historically Republican NJ-07.  I do know that Lance's internal polling has him ahead of Stender by double digits (Whitman is ahead by single digits), and since Lance is not well known throughout the eastern part of the district, one can only assume that he does well on the basis of Stender's negatives and a simple GOP vote advantage here.
Are her negatives higher than her positives?

I remember reading somewhere that Stender trailed by 20 points before September. It seems that she didn't close to within single digits till after the Mark Foley fiasco.
Conan
conan

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 11:47:20 PM »

Are her negatives higher than her positives?

I remember reading somewhere that Stender trailed by 20 points before September. It seems that she didn't close to within single digits till after the Mark Foley fiasco.
Oh please...like that had anything to do with why Linda Stender from NJ did well.

About the polls, I doubt Whitman is ahead at all. Most people wouldn't even know who she is. The only way she would be ahead is if someone read a brief biographical statement.

Also, it took Ferguson $3 mill in 2006 to fend off someone with less money and name ID. The district is trending democratic and Bush's victory margin in 2004 was I believe 4 points.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 03:55:31 PM »

Well, you also should perhaps note that Stender has not outraised all the Republicans combined, if you also include Mike Ferguson's $1 million plus.  She's had a heck of a lot more time to get money (since Nov. 2006) compared to Whitman and Lance.

About the polls, I doubt Whitman is ahead at all. Most people wouldn't even know who she is. The only way she would be ahead is if someone read a brief biographical statement.

Or it simply goes to show what a basically Republican district this is.

Or, you know, maybe people just correctly associated this person with a last name of Whitman with someone else with the last name of Whitman.

(I'm not sure why it'd pay to fudge the numbers on behalf of Whitman—it wasn't even Whitman's campaign who did the poll.)

But no, you're probably right: Polls are generally wrong when you'd prefer them to be based on your own partisan ideology.  Safe Stender!
Conan
conan

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 04:15:09 PM »

Well, you also should perhaps note that Stender has not outraised all the Republicans combined, if you also include Mike Ferguson's $1 million plus.  She's had a heck of a lot more time to get money (since Nov. 2006) compared to Whitman and Lance.

Or it simply goes to show what a basically Republican district this is.

Or, you know, maybe people just correctly associated this person with a last name of Whitman with someone else with the last name of Whitman.

(I'm not sure why it'd pay to fudge the numbers on behalf of Whitman—it wasn't even Whitman's campaign who did the poll.)

But no, you're probably right: Polls are generally wrong when you'd prefer them to be based on your own partisan ideology.  Safe Stender!
Absolutely not.  You're first statement is fundementally misguided. For that to be true, you'd have to assume that people first and foremost identify themselves as republicans and follow politics nonstop. Plus, the district isn't that republican..we've already been over this.  If you want to discuss polls, which we don't even know exist, then provide the polling company and such. It's not enough to take the word of an alleged untalented former political reporter.

My stance was that after one election, Stender is more known in the district than Christie Whitman's daughter. Basically, the poll isn't worth anything anyway. The Lance poll is a different case. 
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 05:59:04 PM »

Yeah, because you're such a source of unbiased information on New Jersey elections.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 09:58:17 PM »

Yeah, because you're such a source of unbiased information on New Jersey elections.

He was an actual political reporter and certainly not a partisan hack. What's on your resume?
Conan
conan

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 10:43:09 PM »

He was an actual political reporter and certainly not a partisan hack. What's on your resume?
I am a political reporter too and I happen to think that NJ-7 is a toss up like all other political reporters and national pundits. He has consistent views that these are GOP locks.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 01:26:06 AM »

If you want to discuss polls, which we don't even know exist, then provide the polling company and such. It's not enough to take the word of an alleged untalented former political reporter.

Polling Company: YO MOMMA
Margin of Error: O SNAP U GOT ME AGAIN LULZ
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 02:52:39 PM »

Your Xanga does not count.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 02:58:38 PM »

BLOGGERS R PPL 2
Conan
conan

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 05:31:04 PM »

Isn't that that myspace like website people stopped using 5 years ago?
I'm just as much as a political reporter as Mr. Moderate.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 06:31:28 PM »

HURR HE IS A REPORTAR!!!

See, I can do it too!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2008, 07:22:10 PM »

Isn't that that myspace like website people stopped using 5 years ago?
I'm just as much as a political reporter as Mr. Moderate.

And my internet dick is six feet long.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2008, 11:41:43 PM »

HURR HE IS A REPORTAR!!!

See, I can do it too!

What's on your resume again?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2008, 07:07:52 AM »

HURR HE IS A REPORTAR!!!

See, I can do it too!

I AM A REPORTAR! I HAV NO BIAS!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008, 09:52:41 AM »

HURR HE IS A REPORTAR!!!

See, I can do it too!

I AM A REPORTAR! I HAV NO BIAS!

Mr. Moderate was once a Republican, I believe. I'm sure there was a reason why he left the GOP so I'm not going to be the first to think he is just some biased Republican hack reporter.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 11:59:40 AM »

Bumping our now omnibus NJ-07 thread to highlight Sen. Lance's fundraising prowess, or lack thereof.

He has $80,793 cash on hand.

Lance does maintain a seven point lead, however, according to his own internal polling: 42% to 35%.  I'd expect the NRCC to back Lance up with cash should he need it—it's a seat the GOP should be able to hold if they don't get outspent by more than, say, 4 : 3.

http://www.politickernj.com/max/21528/7th-district-fight-stender-lance-starts-virtual-scratch
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 12:53:42 PM »

Lance does maintain a seven point lead, however, according to his own internal polling: 42% to 35%.  I'd expect the NRCC to back Lance up with cash should he need it—it's a seat the GOP should be able to hold if they don't get outspent by more than, say, 4 : 3.

This is true, but it's one of the worst seats in the country for either party committee in terms of bang for the buck. That's one reason Stender got little help last year.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2008, 01:01:25 PM »

This is true, but it's one of the worst seats in the country for either party committee in terms of bang for the buck. That's one reason Stender got little help last year.
Exactly. Don't forget that the NRCC is practically insolvent. In 2006, the NRCC outspent the DCCC on IEs by $20 million. This cycle, the feckless NRCC chairmen will be lucky if his group spends all of $20 million on IEs.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies