Pro-life or Pro-choice?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:01:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Pro-life or Pro-choice?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Do you consider yourself pro-life or pro-choice?
Pro-life

Pro-choice

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Pro-life or Pro-choice?  (Read 4384 times)
Spaghetti Cat
Driedapples
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 22, 2008, 03:44:11 PM »

How many pro-life people are on the forum?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 03:45:36 PM »

Well, if you are new to the forum (or at least joined since I left), I would like to introduce myself as the most pro-life member of the forum (despite Inks claim to the contrary)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 03:45:39 PM »

I'm pro-choice
jesmo

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 03:46:00 PM »

Strongly pro-life, except in the case of rape, insect or to save a mother's life.

However, I oppose overturning Roe V Wade for practical reasons, even if the ruling was utterly unconstitutional.

How I am very strongly pro-death penalty.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 03:46:36 PM »

pro-choice
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 03:46:47 PM »

Pro-life
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 03:49:42 PM »

I'm pro-life!! XD

Rin-chan
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 03:50:16 PM »

Strongly pro-life, except in the case of rape, insect or to save a mother's life.

However, I oppose overturning Roe V Wade for practical reasons, even if the ruling was utterly unconstitutional.

How I am very strongly pro-death penalty.

I agree with this view with a couple minor changes.  I would remove rape from the exceptions.  (Adoption is always a better option).  I would like closer screening of the defendant in death penalty cases.  The last thing I, or anyone, wants to do is put an innocent person to death.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 04:01:24 PM »

Good lord!  Misogyny is winning 7 to 4 at present.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 04:08:47 PM »

Pro-choice for the most part. It really isn't a hot button issue for me. I don't like abortions and Roe v. Wade was a terrible decision,  but people will get abortions now that it has been legalized for years, no use in overturning it and go back to coat hangers in back allies.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 04:19:46 PM »

pro-choice.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 04:28:22 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2008, 04:32:07 PM by Bilo »

One thing that would be interesting is why people have their opinions and how they reconcile them with forces in their life that would steer them in another direction.

I would be interested in how pro-choice catholics and pro-life women deal with their conflicting interests. This is a little bit over-generalised, but I have to start somewhere.

What I do find interesting is two things-

How can jesmo and TexOkie/DemIndy dude be so dead-set on wanting to illegalize abortion and yet be so protective of a judicial law that forbids them from doing so.

and how Duke can be such a partisan and yet disagree with his party on such a major thing. I wish I could get a dead-set pro-lifer to be such a dem hack.

I predict the score will ultimately be 60-40 for choice, since this forum runs about 10 percent to the left of the nation and the nation is anywhere from 50-50 to about 56,57% pro-choice.

Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 04:31:53 PM »

Pro-Choice.

We've got the advantage again. Woot!
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 04:35:13 PM »

Since I hate both life and freedom I'm currently undecided.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 04:39:52 PM »

Since I hate both life and freedom I'm currently undecided.

Hey, its good to keep an open mind.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 04:49:52 PM »

One thing that would be interesting is why people have their opinions and how they reconcile them with forces in their life that would steer them in another direction.

I would be interested in how pro-choice catholics and pro-life women deal with their conflicting interests. This is a little bit over-generalised, but I have to start somewhere.

How can jesmo and TexOkie/DemIndy dude be so dead-set on wanting to illegalize abortion and yet be so protective of a judicial law that forbids them from doing so.

and how Duke can be such a partisan and yet disagree with his party on such a major thing. I wish I could get a dead-set pro-lifer to be such a dem hack.

I predict the score will ultimately be 60-40 for choice, since this forum runs about 10 percent to the left of the nation and the nation is anywhere from 50-50 to about 56,57% pro-choice.

I'm not as big a partisan overall as people on this forum think I am. Abortion is not a big deal to me. I don't go to the voting booth thinking about it. I am a Republican because I believe in limited government, low taxes, fiscal discipline, free markets, free trade, pro-death penalty, and I am a hawk on the War on Terror. I really didn't mind Bill Clinton's style of Democrat, and I wouldn't have been terribly upset with Al Gore if he had won in 2000. Today, though, I think he's a left wing loon and the Democrat's move left has really just turned me off to ever voting for them.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2008, 04:56:01 PM »

The reason is safety.  Abortions will happen with or without Roe v. Wade.  The question is, do we want to risk the life of the mother while we kill the baby?  Or, do we want to keep the mother as safe as possible while we kill the baby?  With Roe, at least there is sterility (I don't know if thats a word).  Without it, AHDuke is right, we'd have coat hangers in back allies.  I just don't want to kill twice.  I'd rather not kill the baby, either, but if the mother makes that horrible decision, at least keep her safe so she can ponder on what she has done the rest of her life.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2008, 05:02:31 PM »

The reason is safety.  Abortions will happen with or without Roe v. Wade.  The question is, do we want to risk the life of the mother while we kill the baby?  Or, do we want to keep the mother as safe as possible while we kill the baby?  With Roe, at least there is sterility (I don't know if thats a word).  Without it, AHDuke is right, we'd have coat hangers in back allies.  I just don't want to kill twice.  I'd rather not kill the baby, either, but if the mother makes that horrible decision, at least keep her safe so she can ponder on what she has done the rest of her life.
Great pro-life position, keep murdering as long as the murderer is safe.  If the mother is willing to kill her child, she must live with the reprecussions.  You certainly foster more abortions by keeping it legal.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 05:06:18 PM »

I'm not as big a partisan overall as people on this forum think I am. Abortion is not a big deal to me. I don't go to the voting booth thinking about it. I am a Republican because I believe in limited government, low taxes, fiscal discipline, free markets, free trade, pro-death penalty, and I am a hawk on the War on Terror. I really didn't mind Bill Clinton's style of Democrat, and I wouldn't have been terribly upset with Al Gore if he had won in 2000. Today, though, I think he's a left wing loon and the Democrat's move left has really just turned me off to ever voting for them.

Err, the party has not moved as much to the left as listening to only the activists (whose candidate, Edwards, lost rather easily) would indicate. Obama and Clinton are both pro-death penalty, and depending what you mean by "hawk" on the War on Terror, Obama is arguably the biggest one of all based on some of his previous statements. One of the reasons why the activists became more vocal is the way Iraq went in its first four years, bitterness of losing and being treated by extremists dominated on the other side. As time passes those feelings will subside.

On economic issues like trade and markets you may have a point, but then again their rhetoric is about as left as it can be at the moment, with the campaigns in rust belt states in the Dem primary just wrapped up. Also, neither Democrat has proposed new income taxes beyond allowing the Bush tax cuts to expire as originally scheduled-- actually they have both proposed tax cuts for the middle class, and only new taxes on dividends and gains.
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2008, 05:10:44 PM »

Well, if you are new to the forum (or at least joined since I left), I would like to introduce myself as the most pro-life member of the forum (despite Inks claim to the contrary)

I've actually been endorsed by the 100% Pro-Life PAC; so, I at least (if not more) Pro-Life as 24 DuPont Chevy
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008, 05:16:52 PM »

Err, the party has not moved as much to the left as listening to only the activists (whose candidate, Edwards, lost rather easily) would indicate. Obama and Clinton are both pro-death penalty, and depending what you mean by "hawk" on the War on Terror, Obama is arguably the biggest one of all based on some of his previous statements. One of the reasons why the activists became more vocal is the way Iraq went in its first four years, bitterness of losing and being treated by extremists dominated on the other side. As time passes those feelings will subside.

On economic issues like trade and markets you may have a point, but then again their rhetoric is about as left as it can be at the moment, with the campaigns in rust belt states in the Dem primary just wrapped up. Also, neither Democrat has proposed new income taxes beyond allowing the Bush tax cuts to expire as originally scheduled-- actually they have both proposed tax cuts for the middle class, and only new taxes on dividends and gains.

And I am against letting those tax cuts expire. They will be tax hikes, no matter how you try to spin it. Taxes will go up on people. The Democrats won't be able to give the middle class tax  cuts if they implement all the social programs they are taking about.

And, the death tax and capital gains tax hikes really do not sit well with me.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 05:21:20 PM »

I've actually been endorsed by the 100% Pro-Life PAC; so, I at least (if not more) Pro-Life as 24 DuPont Chevy
It depends on your defintion of pro-life, I am also against the death penalty (although not on moral grounds)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2008, 05:21:56 PM »

Taxes will go up on rich people. The Democrats won't be able to give the middle class tax  cuts if they implement all the social programs they are taking about.

Because you do not understand from whence wealth comes.  Also I added a clarification to your post.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008, 05:22:19 PM »

And I am against letting those tax cuts expire. They will be tax hikes, no matter how you try to spin it. Taxes will go up on people. The Democrats won't be able to give the middle class tax  cuts if they implement all the social programs they are taking about.

Now that is just absurd. When the Bush tax cuts were passed in the first place, those were to be temporary cuts from the very beginning. They were never meant to be permanent. Allowing them to expire is only a continuation of the existing legal status quo. Extending them would effectively be further cuts when all the budgetary calculations suggest that we cannot afford them. Even the McCain campaign estimates that by extending the cuts, we would not be able to balance the budget for the rest of his Presidency even if he were to sit for two terms. As for the capital gains and dividend taxes, those were drastically slashed earlier in the Bush Presidency, so restoring them would only restore the status quo that existed in 2001.

If these proposals are radical then your standards are not in line with the claim that you would be okay with a 'Clinton-style' Democrat, because these proposals (not even mentioning Obama's middle class tax cut proposals) would only either maintain the current legal status quo or restore the situation to the way they were at the end of his Presidency.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2008, 05:26:34 PM »

I marked myself as pro-choice. Though I personally only support it to save the mother, it's going to happen anyway, so we should save our jails for the real criminals.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies