Early Indiana turnout is heaviest in Obama counties
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:56:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Early Indiana turnout is heaviest in Obama counties
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Early Indiana turnout is heaviest in Obama counties  (Read 810 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 02, 2008, 10:27:01 PM »
« edited: May 02, 2008, 10:28:52 PM by Eraserhead »

Early Indiana turnout heavy in strong Obama counties

May 2, 7:21 PM (ET)

By RICK CALLAHAN

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Early voting in Indiana could offer some encouragement to presidential hopeful Barack Obama, who needs a victory in its upcoming primary after a tough few weeks on the campaign trail.

Obama victories in the Indiana and North Carolina primaries on May 6 could help him regain momentum in his nomination fight against Hillary Rodham Clinton. Obama has been on the defensive because of comments by his former pastor, Jeremiah Wright, and his own comments about people in small towns growing bitter.

About 20 percent of the 127,000-plus absentee ballots received as of early Friday were cast in three Indiana counties - Marion, Monroe and Lake - that political observers believe Obama is strongly favored to win.

Lake County has a large population of black voters and is in Chicago's shadow. Obama has typically won big among college-age voters, and Monroe County is the home of Indiana University in Bloomington. Obama's campaign sought out IU students with voter registration and early voting drives and a free Dave Matthews concert.

Robert Dion, a professor of American politics at the University of Evansville, said Obama has mounted an innovative campaign that's stressed early voting and his supporters appear more energized than those for Clinton.

"In a close race, modest advantages in organization can yield big results, and if Obama out-organizes the Clinton campaign on these absentee ballots, it would be a great boost to him," Dion said.

Three other Indiana counties - St. Joseph, Vanderburgh and Vigo counties - have amassed more than 20,000 early ballots between them, about 16 percent of the total absentees cast statewide.

Vigo County, which includes Terre Haute, is expected to go for Clinton because of its demographics and connections to popular Sen. Evan Bayh, who has campaigned aggressively with the former first lady.

Political analyst Robert Schmuhl said he senses that Clinton has the advantage heading into Tuesday's primary.

"I think any objective observer would say Senator Clinton has the momentum going into the last few days. In previous primaries she's done well during the final days as the undecided voters have made up their minds," the Notre Dame professor said.

Whatever Tuesday's final vote, Dion said Obama and Clinton are expected to basically split the state's 72 delegates.

"They're fighting over bragging rights," Dion said. "If he wins Indiana as well as North Carolina, which we expect him to win, he can say, 'I won both states.' And that's going to knock the wind out of Hillary Clinton."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080502/D90DQ5CO0.html

WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 10:31:50 PM »

i think chris matthews just got a tingle up his leg.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 10:34:13 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2008, 10:41:09 PM by Torie »

I would tend to think those three counties (Marion, Monroe and Lake (assuming Lake is Obamaia, which is questionable) make up at least 20% of the Dem electorate in a primary in any event, so it is not clear to me that there is any disproportionate voting. Indeed, in 2004, 31% of the Kerry vote came from those three counties, so it may represent a disproportionate undervote.

On the other hand, Vigo, St. Joseph and Vandenburg made up just 10% of the Kerry vote, in 2004, and it is 16% with the absentees - an overvote.

I think the numbers suggest precisely the opposite of the headline - Clintonia is getting the heavier turnout.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 10:37:27 PM »

I don't think this means that much but it's interesting. Clinton will probably make up for this by winning late deciders in a landslide.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 10:40:34 PM »

If Marion, Monroe and Lake are this underrepresented (Torie is right), and St. Joseph, Vanderburg and Vigo that overrepresented (they were barely 10% of Kerry's vote), Obama is potentially in a lot of trouble.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 10:41:41 PM »

If Marion, Monroe and Lake are this overrepresented, and St. Joseph, Vanderburg and Vigo that overrepresented (they were barely 10% of Kerry's vote), Obama is potentially in a lot of trouble.

What you said.

Edit: Even better with your edit. Smiley
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 11:17:21 PM »

Early turnout delivered a victory to Obama in Texas.

Oh wait. . .
zombones

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 02:38:34 AM »

Oh wait. . .
Is Indiana identical enough to Texas to make that comparison?  If so, why?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 04:18:41 AM »

Assuming that Alcon and Tory are right: lol at the media. Bringing daftness to the 21st century. Tongue
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 09:18:24 AM »

Oh wait. . .
Is Indiana identical enough to Texas to make that comparison?  If so, why?

I was just pointing out that people read too much into early turnout reports and early exit polls that are released - both of which are not good indicators of the final result.
zombones

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 03:19:07 PM »

I was just pointing out that people read too much into early turnout reports and early exit polls that are released - both of which are not good indicators of the final result.
I can agree on that
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 03:29:23 PM »

Oh wait. . .

you're right. he made it past 46 in a strongly clinton state full of latinos and managed to net the most delegates.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2008, 03:50:50 PM »

This article makes no sense to me. Of course there are going to be more voters in the larger, more urban areas of Indiana. And those urban areas favor Obama.

Is this really news?

Clinton will still win by 5, and she may win by 10.
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 10:03:37 PM »

what Chris said
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies