Gov. Brad Henry (D-OK) endorses Barack Obama (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:40:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Gov. Brad Henry (D-OK) endorses Barack Obama (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gov. Brad Henry (D-OK) endorses Barack Obama  (Read 2303 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: April 23, 2008, 11:08:00 PM »

Stupid semantic debate ahoy!  Stupid semantic debate ahoy!
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 12:49:59 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2008, 12:54:28 PM by Alcon »

The fact that Mormons are Christians is not in doubt.

The fact that you are a misinformed, close minded bigot is as well not in doubt. 

Y'know, as recently as a few decades ago, many Mormons rather proudly denied he mantle of "Christian."  There are a number of important doctrinal differences that many Christian sects feel that Christians are defined by a number of specific fundamental beliefs (including the Trinity).  Mormons, on the other hand, use the definition of "Christian" as being a follower of Christ.

I think the Mormons' definition, as opposed to Evilmexicandictator's and the conservative Protestants', is more apt.  But you're arguing over definition, not over substance.  You can't reject Evilmexicandictator's definition of "Christian" simply because you do not like it, and then complain that he isn't respecting your faith (or Mitt Romney's, whatever the case may be).  It's a double standard.  If his definition is part of his faith, it should be off-limits based on what you say.  Anything less is "bigoted," right?

Besides, who cares if they are Christians or not?  Seriously.  Pedantry.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 10:15:44 PM »

Members of the Mormon faith without reservation declare their Christianity.  Check the church web site.  I have studied extensively on this faith, as well as on many other faiths.  The real name of the church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  Who are we, or who is anyone else, to be disputing the church statements? 

I take information from the source, i.e. the church, not from anti church sites and not from hate sites.

The same goes for any faith or church I study about.

I appreciate that but, if someone belongs to a faith that presents a certain interpretation of the word "Christian," do you demand they abandon that just to avoid the inferences you make when someone says that Mormons are "not Christian"?

I am not citing hate sites at all, unless you define a hate site as a web site that considers Mormons to not be Christians.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies