curious about something...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:57:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  curious about something...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: curious about something...  (Read 2573 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2008, 01:44:17 PM »

Hieneman was and is a pretty good Gov though.

And that's going to be harder to campaign against even if you are an idol. Obama didn't have that.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2008, 01:57:25 PM »

I know what he means. Remember when Ditka was considering a run against Obama in 2004? Let's not get into whether or not Ditka would win because BRTD will come in here and throw a fit.

Dude, after Lynn Swann, I've become convinced that all celebrity runs for political office should be taken with a grain of salt and the acknowledgment that the party doing it is admitting weakness, and thus should be expected to lose.  Arnold is a very rare case here.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2008, 04:21:58 PM »

I know what he means. Remember when Ditka was considering a run against Obama in 2004? Let's not get into whether or not Ditka would win because BRTD will come in here and throw a fit.

Dude, after Lynn Swann, I've become convinced that all celebrity runs for political office should be taken with a grain of salt and the acknowledgment that the party doing it is admitting weakness, and thus should be expected to lose.  Arnold is a very rare case here.

Sure they should be taken with a grain of salt but just because Swann sucked doesn't mean they all do. The man's heart wasn't in it and he just couldn't match a born politician who was personally popular (and running in a great year for his party).
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2008, 06:08:46 PM »

Ditka is to Illinois what Jesus Christ is to Catholics, there is no shot he would have lost.  If Obama ever becomes president or something similar, I blame Mike Ditka and Mike Ditka only.

Not only would it have been an uphill battle, but he agreed to run.  You would be blaming the wrong person.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2008, 11:29:53 PM »

And that's going to be harder to campaign against even if you are an idol. Obama didn't have that.
Agreed.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2008, 12:26:44 AM »

Does Ditka even know anything about the issues?  I saw him on Fox a few months ago and he seemed pretty clueless, to say the least.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2008, 08:56:23 AM »

Then again, Tom Osborne (who lost his primary by just four points, btw) was actually had a second career as a politician. Governor or Senator is too high, under normal circumstances, to enter politics based entirely on your non-political credentials. And Illinois' just a wee bit bigger than Nebraska; that matters big time. And Osborne didn't have the drawback of being a self-described wacko.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies