Will the IOC let a country like China host the Olympics again?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:48:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Will the IOC let a country like China host the Olympics again?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Will the IOC let a country like China host the Olympics again?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: Will the IOC let a country like China host the Olympics again?  (Read 4394 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 28, 2008, 11:21:33 AM »

I think they've learned their lesson...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 11:40:13 AM »

1936 Berlin
1980 Moscow
2008 Beijing

I don't think they will ever learn their lesson.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 11:51:13 AM »

I don't think the IOC care about that type of lesson.

Thankfully, the list of countries with human rights records like China which are seriously capable of hosting the Olympics is fairly limited.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 11:55:05 AM »

Thankfully, the list of countries with human rights records like China which are seriously capable of hosting the Olympics is fairly limited.

How countries are 'like' China though? And how many can hold the Olympics? Alot of these protests seem to be related to the growth in Western Buddhist converts and a general Orientalism towards all things Tibetan. How many people were chanting 'Free Turkistan' for example. So what this has to really do with human rights is debatable.

And no, if the IOC won't learn its lesson, whatever that lesson should be.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 12:17:18 PM »

1936 Berlin
1980 Moscow
2008 Beijing

To be fair to the IOC, although Weimar Germany was certainly never a paragon of stability, when Berlin was selected, the Nazis weren't anywhere near power.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 12:52:09 PM »

How countries are 'like' China though? And how many can hold the Olympics?

Alot of these protests seem to be related to the growth in Western Buddhist converts and a general Orientalism towards all things Tibetan. How many people were chanting 'Free Turkistan' for example. So what this has to really do with human rights is debatable.

I think the protests have been too large to simply attribute them to the points you do. I also think that, on the whole, the protesters are doing so because of a genuine sense that the Chinese government are engaging in human rights abuses (in Tibet or elsewhere). Just because Tibet may be the focus of the protests doesn't mean that their complaints aren't genuine or that they aren't concerned about other human rights issues.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 01:34:07 PM »

Khartoum 2020! Smiley
jeron
Netherlands
Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -7.48

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 02:12:07 PM »

1936 Berlin
1980 Moscow
2008 Beijing

Seoul 1988.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 02:17:34 PM »

Maybe 2040, but not 2020.  Khartoum simply doesn't have the infrastructure needed to host an Olympic Games.  Tehran 2020 would be a definite possibility if the Guardian Council would be willing to permit the women's events happen despite the immoral lack of clothing.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 02:38:47 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2008, 02:42:46 PM by Supersoulty »

Pyongyang - 2016

I think your right.  Giving the games to one murderous totalitarian regime should be enough.

Wait, there's more?

Surely they will learn this time.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 02:39:09 PM »

I can really only think of Iran, what others are there?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 02:43:31 PM »

New rule, the Olympics aren't allowed to have their games in any country where the majority color on the flag is red.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 03:07:10 PM »

A better rule is to not allow countries with stars on their flag, but I know one country with 50 stars on theirs.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 03:12:02 PM »

I don't know why we are passing judgement on Nazi Germany or China or the USSR.  If you listen to the man who Barack Obama has chosen as his pastor and spiritual advisor, the U.S. is far worse.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 03:21:35 PM »

I don't know why we are passing judgement on Nazi Germany or China or the USSR.  If you listen to the man who Barack Obama has chosen as his pastor and spiritual advisor, the U.S. is far worse.

Just because Wright thinks that the United States is in no position to casting stones (and the U.S. while better than most countries is most definitely not country that is without sin in its policies) does not mean that he thinks that the United States is worse than those countries.  You used to have a leveler head than to subscribe to such a logical fallacy, Don.  Trying to live up to your reputation as most partisan?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 03:23:47 PM »

New rule, the Olympics aren't allowed to have their games in any country where the majority color on the flag is red.

What do you have against Canada, Denmark, Norway, Austria and Switzerland?  Angry Angry Angry
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 03:38:08 PM »

How countries are 'like' China though? And how many can hold the Olympics? Alot of these protests seem to be related to the growth in Western Buddhist converts and a general Orientalism towards all things Tibetan. How many people were chanting 'Free Turkistan' for example. So what this has to really do with human rights is debatable.

Your post is stupid and pure fantasy.  The fact that Tibetans rioted, in Tibet, facing almost certain death, and even beat up the hated Chinese scum that had been transplanted amongst them shows that this is an internal resistance to an internal injustice.  It is absurd to think that Western buddhists had anything whatever to do with this.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 03:46:29 PM »

Your post is stupid and pure fantasy.  The fact that Tibetans rioted, in Tibet, facing almost certain death, and even beat up the hated Chinese scum that had been transplanted amongst them shows that this is an internal resistance to an internal injustice.  It is absurd to think that Western buddhists had anything whatever to do with this.

I meant the protests in the west, worker, not the actual Tibetan Riots. (And anyway there have been similiar like protests before in the Uighir lands, but no-one in the Western Media cares. Is it because they are Muslim Nomads without any romantic history or religion - without a leader like the Dalai Lama? Who in the West has taken up a harsh peasant form of Sunni Islam in recent years?)

@Jas: I should also have mentioned the "rent a protest" group. However I think you would recognize that in the region there is a tendency to overly exoticize the people and their culture. How much do people know about the Pre-1949 Tibet really? That isn't to say that the protestors aren't right, just selective in their facts and history.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 04:51:59 PM »

They're bidding for the 2018 World Cup - different voters, but it could be an interesting test.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 04:58:24 PM »

The 1984 Winter Olympics were also held in a communist country. Don't think there was that much protest about it, though.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2008, 05:01:00 PM »

I meant the protests in the west, worker, not the actual Tibetan Riots. (And anyway there have been similiar like protests before in the Uighir lands, but no-one in the Western Media cares. Is it because they are Muslim Nomads without any romantic history or religion - without a leader like the Dalai Lama? Who in the West has taken up a harsh peasant form of Sunni Islam in recent years?)

Yes, the West hates the Muslim (though it is hard to see how anyone could prefer a Muslim to a Buddhist).  I agree that Westerners taking up Buddhism is a bit of a lame fad, but no one can dispute that it is the least bad 'religion'.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 12:10:23 AM »

China hasn't proven they are capable of holding the Olympics yet.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 03:23:08 AM »

The International Olympic Committee will probably let a country like China host the Olympics again. In a sense, giving the Olympic games to a nation like China, is like giving a good behaviour bond to a criminal. They are satisfied with their progress but assume their past behaviour won't happen again. But with China as we know, it's still happening. Bad move by the IOC.
jeron
Netherlands
Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -7.48

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2008, 03:37:10 AM »

The Olympic Games have nothing to do with human rights. The only thing that plays a role is money.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2008, 12:11:22 PM »

@Jas: I should also have mentioned the "rent a protest" group. However I think you would recognize that in the region there is a tendency to overly exoticize the people and their culture.

Probably true.

How much do people know about the Pre-1949 Tibet really?

Indeed, I suspect they don't really know anything about it. (I also know very little about it.)

That isn't to say that the protestors aren't right,

Indeed.

Just like the opposition. (And most people making any political point, on any subject, ever. Wink)
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies