Did you play anywhere dangerous as a kid?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:52:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Did you play anywhere dangerous as a kid?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Did you play anywhere dangerous as a kid?  (Read 2760 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 28, 2008, 04:04:35 PM »

It's only really when you look back you can spot the dangers Tongue

I live in an old coal mining town and we had a few old spoil heaps called 'bings' These were small hills of partially overgrown butstill loose stones etc that were prone to slips and slides (and IIRC due to their nature still had very hot centres even after all that time) After it had been raining they were particularly tricky.

But nope we used to climb them and slide down smooth paths we had created. You occasionally caught your foot in them. Dangerous stuff as one wrong step, or the wrong conditions and you could be in serious trouble :/

They were eventually cleared.

Anyone have any others?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 04:29:04 PM »

Nope, I've been a coward my entire life Tongue
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 04:30:28 PM »

lol Same here.

Except one time, my dad found asbestos in our basement and left it outside and my brother and I didn't know and were playing with stuff that may have been asbestos...

It was in a well ventilated area, but still... lol

Rin-chan
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 04:33:08 PM »

Oh yes Smiley
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 04:38:59 PM »

There is a stone quarry a quarter mile from my house. Once or twice when i was young a few friends and I hopped the fence and poked around.

Also, I had quite a knack for exploring, and on summer day's I'd walk through the woods probably crossing through all sorts of potential dangers, both of the natural and hunter-in-a-deer-stand-with-a-gun variety.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 04:42:37 PM »

I walked in a forbidden zone with my father on Cezembre Island a while back. It was locked off because it was still mined from when the Nazis were there. T'was fun Smiley

A German blockhaus still had a printing of a German general on the wall.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 04:43:53 PM »

Haha, yes.  I grew up on a farm, and we had jeeps, tractors, and 'field cars' (old cars we used to drive around the farm and crash into each other) to play with.  We also had guns from a very early age.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 04:51:55 PM »

I used to fish in a crumbling marine show arena in Key Biscayne. Large pieces would fall off occasionally, and it was locked off.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 05:25:48 PM »

Not really
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 05:39:44 PM »

John Paul Jones Park, directly beneath the Verrazano Bridge on the Brooklyn side.   It always felt dangerous because of the constant loud noise and the park was ground zero for occasional flying projectiles such as trash, various pieces of debris large and small, and yes, occasionally bodies from people who wanted to take the easy way out.   Last year, my sister witnessed a construction worker fall to his death while walking home from school near the park.  It made her sick.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 05:45:19 PM »

I played soccer for eleven years and had to travel to some rough areas across my city for some games. Does that count?  Smiley
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 07:27:41 PM »

Oh God... my childhood was constantly dangerous.

We walked on the ice when it was way too thin and fell through several times... climbed trees until they were swaying dangerously... built two storey forts that collapsed.. played in gravel pits... went xc skiing in the woods alone when it was very cold so if I was injured, I'd likely die...

rode the paddleboats out to the middle of the lake without life jackets and jumped off of them...  washed steaks off in the lake that fell in the sand and ate them, beaver poop and all... came into close contact with bears...

Built jumps out of cut wood, packed snow, and ice so big that when you sledded over them if you didn't stand up and land on your feet you got the wind knocked out of you every time.. not to mention that the sled path crossed the road.  (okay, a seldom used one.. but still)

Went sledding through the trees.  (My sister went through and a branch snagged on her lip and tore it clean back.. my mom wasn't too happy about that).

Not to mention all the times we damn near broke our tail bones under the false notion that when you getting a running start, taht the mattress will actually come with you down the stairs.  Or the fate we were tempting by going down head first in sleeping bags..  or in laundry baskets.

This is why it's just best that your parents don't know what you're doing all the time.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 07:41:27 PM »

I did grow up in one of the most violent cities in America but not really. I was a stay in the air-conditioned house and play Nintendo kind of kid.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 07:44:55 PM »

Slag dump much like Afleitch when visiting Wales during the summers, grew up in an Irish Neighborhood being moved in on by Puerto Ricans when at home in Connecticut, no 3rd world or war zone, but something to think about.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 08:25:08 PM »

Hell yeah. Last year me and my 25 year old cousin went sledding down gravel pits that we definatley shouldn't have been in and I also have done very stupid things many times in my life.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 09:52:16 PM »

Same here.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 11:14:55 PM »

Me and two buddies crawled up a drain pipe in middle school. That's about as hardcore as it gets. Not too much dangerous in my town.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 07:30:10 AM »

A few of us would play in the sewer drains.  There was a large discharge pipe near our school that was about 5 feet in diameter.  We would walk in and try to see how far into the darkness before we'd get spooked and run out.  I think for the three years we tried that, we never got more than 20 feet into the pipe.  *laughs*
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 08:08:10 AM »

A few of us would play in the sewer drains.  There was a large discharge pipe near our school that was about 5 feet in diameter.  We would walk in and try to see how far into the darkness before we'd get spooked and run out.  I think for the three years we tried that, we never got more than 20 feet into the pipe.  *laughs*

They had sewer pipes during colonial times? Wink
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 08:40:47 AM »

Well, one of the places I lived in when I was small 4-5 backed onto a national park - and without warning there was a 50ft sheer drop.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 08:41:26 AM »

They had sewer pipes during colonial times? Wink

Of course!  We weren't THAT backwards.  Why else do you think we rounded up all them Indians?  True masters of the shovel and clay molds I tell ya.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 11:07:51 AM »

Rich California suburbs are not dangerous places. Though I did play on a few railroad tracks with my cousins in Bangladesh.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 03:50:27 PM »

My sister and I and the neighbor kids did backwards flips onto bare mattress springs from the second story of a duplex.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2008, 11:20:45 PM »

Abandoned mine shafts, and I was in Shotgunners Club in high school.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2008, 12:28:16 AM »

Our house is on a cliff looking over the water. Needless to say we played right at the edge of the cliff all the time (it is about a 30ft drop, though it is covered in some ivy which could brake your fall a bit, though there also were stumps that could impale you so basically it would be a luck of the draw kind of thing.)

Also I used to climb fir trees around my house until I got to the top and I would use it like a swing. Because I weighed only about 40 pounds until 4th grade I was able to get pretty high up (usually around 75 ft on an 80ft tree...)
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies