black voters
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:42:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  black voters
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: black voters  (Read 1733 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 06, 2008, 05:02:53 AM »

As some of us were talking about how blacks split between Hillary and Obama during the primary differently depending on the state, I became interested in previous black voting behavior.

I was looking at the 2004 exit polls, and discovered that while overall, 11% of blacks voted for Bush, that they were much more strongly republican in rust belt states.

In Ohio and Pennsylvania, 16% of blacks voted for Bush, and in New Jersey, it was 17%

Any idea why blacks were so republican in this geographical area?
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 07:44:26 PM »

Maybe it has to do with the difference in ads being run there?  I imagine the GOP runs very few ads in the South but its runs lots of anti-abortion, anti-gay ads in a state like Ohio which could appeal to the staunch social conservatives in the African American community.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 12:12:02 AM »

Black Republicans, such as they exist, tend to be Republicans because they're VERY socially conservative. The black vote in the Deep South is probably more democratic because democratic because of racially polarized voting patterns.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 05:01:19 AM »

I guess racial voting patterns can explian low republican support among blacks in the south, but I'm not really sure why exactly blacks in the rust belt area OH, PA, and New Jersey in addition would contain far more conservative blacks than in other northern states. Blacks in IL and NY can't be that much more liberal, can they?
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 10:32:12 PM »

I don't believe there are any strong GOP leanings left in any Black community anywhere, including among social conservatives. In Detroit, Obama won 97.0% in 2008 and 97.6% in 2012. In south central LA, Obama won 99%+ while the ban on SSM got 70%.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies