If you look at the big picture, Hillary is a stronger general election candidate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:30:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  If you look at the big picture, Hillary is a stronger general election candidate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If you look at the big picture, Hillary is a stronger general election candidate  (Read 3077 times)
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2008, 12:36:05 AM »

McCain vs. Obama:

McCain vs. Hillary

First of all, it's the Clintons.  McCain CANNOT beat the Clinton machine no matter what.  Clinton does better in big states and thats that.

However, there will be a big lashback from black voters and many loyal Democrats will just sit out the election.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 12:41:44 AM »

Lol @ NH

Otherwise, surprisingly non-hackish maps. I hope you continue the trend in the future
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 12:44:18 AM »

The only reason I made New Hampshire Republican is because McCain is pretty close with the state - he won it in the 2000 primaries, and did very well in these primaries.  It wouldn't take much campaigning to swing NH to McCain.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 12:57:07 AM »

The only reason I made New Hampshire Republican is because McCain is pretty close with the state - he won it in the 2000 primaries, and did very well in these primaries.  It wouldn't take much campaigning to swing NH to McCain.

The state took a very big step towards the left in 2006, and I don't see that changing this fall. Add in the war and I find it pretty hard for McCain to pull off a win here.

If there was any Republican that could do it though, it'd be McCain.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 01:00:54 AM »

Eh, we'll see.  Personally, I think that McCain will win, since he has been beating Obama out in New Hampshire nicely in recent polls.  One of them showed McCain ahead by 10%.

Again, it'll be an interesting general, but I don't see McCain letting New Hampshire getting out of reach very easily.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 08:58:25 AM »

New Hampshire has a lot of heavy news consumption independents (thanks to their early primary, in part) and that's a group that the weeks leading up to NC & IN hurt Obama among.

Otherwise, really good map.  I'm not sure about KY long-term for Clinton, but we shall see, eh?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 07:29:22 PM »

Hillary is not the stronger candidate.  Barack Obama would bring out black voters in North Carolina and Louisiana, helping Democrats downballot.  Clinton would not do any of this. 
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 05:55:44 PM »

Hillary is not the stronger candidate.  Barack Obama would bring out black voters in North Carolina and Louisiana, helping Democrats downballot.  Clinton would not do any of this. 
And that will probably be balanced out by the Democratic defectors who supported Kerry.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 08:55:37 PM »

And that will probably be balanced out by the Democratic defectors who supported Kerry.

What?
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 10:07:31 PM »

What?

There are many whites who voted for Kerry, but are not voting for Obama, right?
zombones

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 02:18:50 PM »

For 's sake the election is SIX MONTHS AWAY, and the Democratic Primary isn't over yet!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 05:31:44 PM »

For 's sake the election is SIX MONTHS AWAY, and the Democratic Primary isn't over yet!

Yes, it is over. But Ronnie is right, all the voters Obama may bring into the process will be cancelled out by a lot of the Hillary defectors who will just sit at home or vote for McCain. It would be a much more sure thing with Hillary because she would be very competitive in Appalachia and the industrial states, but runs the risk of losing Oregon and Washington to McCain.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 02:24:40 AM »

I find it interesting that throughout the entire campaign, whichever one of Clinton or Obama was not the current frontrunner for the nomination was always the one that Republicans thought would make the stronger nominee.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 09:09:32 AM »

Let me tell you why Clinton is stronger right, now. Because that McCain vs Clinton race isn't going to happen and it don't matter. So people really don't say how they will vote. When it comes down to it Obama is the stronger person. He play very well with indys and younger voters. Unlike Clinton who would lose the indys like Kerry did and wouldn't have the younger voters come out for her like he would and she would get the black voters to come out in the number like he can.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 07:33:00 PM »

Let me tell you why Clinton is stronger right, now. Because that McCain vs Clinton race isn't going to happen and it don't matter. So people really don't say how they will vote. When it comes down to it Obama is the stronger person. He play very well with indys and younger voters. Unlike Clinton who would lose the indys like Kerry did and wouldn't have the younger voters come out for her like he would and she would get the black voters to come out in the number like he can.

Kerry won the independent vote in 2004 and the young voters. I'm not denying that Obama is stronger among those groups, but they may only be enough to cancel out the Democrat defectors that could result in his nomination, especially those elderly people who do not like Obama for various reasons.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 10:02:07 PM »

I find it interesting that throughout the entire campaign, whichever one of Clinton or Obama was not the current frontrunner for the nomination was always the one that Republicans thought would make the stronger nominee.

so true
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 12:55:57 AM »

so true

Look, as much as Democrats hate to admit it, but Hillary HAS been winning the swing states in the primary election that Dems have to win in order to regain the white house.  I'm not saying that Obama has no chance in these states, but Hillary has a much better shot than Obama in places like West Virginia, Kentucky, Florida, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.  Obama just brings a locked up Iowa and better shots in Colorado and Virginia against McCain than Hillary.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies