Does anyone else ever wonder...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:02:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Does anyone else ever wonder...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does anyone else ever wonder...  (Read 1052 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 08, 2008, 10:48:20 PM »

... what the hell is wrong with McCain's ad people?

I mean, there are a lot of Republican candidates out there who I will recognize have good media plans and ads. Romney's were pretty decent. Bush's in 2000 and 2004 were pretty good as well. Huckabee's were excellent. But McCain's just seem to be consistently bizarre, awkward and targeted exclusively at those over the age of 50.

Take a look at this latest one for Mothers Day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2XTDHltNVU

I mean, wtf?
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 11:04:24 PM »

Im surprised at the vey end he didnt mention that he was in the war...was shot down...and was then interrogated....showing a video of the whole ordeal like basically every other ad hes produced.

Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 11:11:02 PM »

I mean, there are a lot of Republican candidates out there who I will recognize have good media plans and ads. Romney's were pretty decent. Bush's in 2000 and 2004 were pretty good as well. Huckabee's were excellent. But McCain's just seem to be consistently bizarre, awkward and targeted exclusively at those over the age of 50.

Take a look at this latest one for Mothers Day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2XTDHltNVU

I mean, wtf?

Do you really not understand the point of this?

One of McCain's largest weaknesses is his advanced age.  What's the best way to make him look younger?   Put him next to someone older.  Significantly older.  Who he's related to.  To hint that McCain will still be as sharp as his mother is by the end of his term.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 11:16:06 PM »

I mean, wtf?

Is it 1958 all over again?  That was the type of ad that makes you say "what... the hell... was that?"
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 11:19:17 PM »

I mean, wtf?

Do you really not understand the point of this?

One of McCain's largest weaknesses is his advanced age.  What's the best way to make him look younger?   Put him next to someone older.  Significantly older.  Who he's related to.  To hint that McCain will still be as sharp as his mother is by the end of his term.

Or it just reminds people that he's really, really old.

And regardless of the age comparison, there were a lot of other ways that they could've made the ad better. The script is just sort of awkward and rambling. I can't see anyone under the age of 50 coming away from this ad with a more positive impression of McCain.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 12:08:38 AM »

Was that an ad for the McCain campaign or an interview with Barbra Walters?  I mean seriously.  And the music?  super-cheezy.  I'm just totally confused by the whole thing.  I don't see what it accomplishes at all.  And what about those 27 bottles of scotch?  WTF?  Did she mean to say his dad?  What's a baby gonna do with 27 bottle of scotch?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 12:25:19 AM »

I mean, wtf?

Splendid ad actually, just splendid! MCain's mother is one of his most precious assets. Really!
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 12:51:22 AM »

Something about fetal alcohol syndrome?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 08:31:28 AM »

That music was GODAWFUL. I don't understand the thought process that went into it... let's get something that reminds people of the Leave it to Beaver soundtrack, only worse, so that maybe Baby Boomers will be fooled into thinking McCain is young enough to be one of them?

Perhaps he's aiming for disappointed Hillary voters.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 08:52:01 AM »

I pretty much felt the same thing.  The concept of an ad with his mom was good, but somehow the way they did it still made him seem old.

His mom does talk like one of those cool 1940s movie stars, though.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 09:40:04 AM »

I pretty much felt the same thing.  The concept of an ad with his mom was good, but somehow the way they did it still made him seem old.

His mom does talk like one of those cool 1940s movie stars, though.

HAHA Bette Davis or something...Greta Garbo.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies