leading 2012 GOP presidential candidates as of early 2009?--May '08 edition (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:53:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  leading 2012 GOP presidential candidates as of early 2009?--May '08 edition (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question:  Pick up to three of the following who you think will be leading 2012 presidential candidates if Obama wins in '08
Haley Barbour

Jeb Bush

Norm Coleman

John Cornyn

Charlie Crist

John Ensign

Rudy Giuliani

Lindsey Graham

Chuck Hagel

Mike Huckabee

Jon Huntsman

Kay Bailey Hutchison

Bobby Jindal

Bill Owens

Sarah Palin

Tim Pawlenty

Mike Pence

Condoleeza Rice

Bob Riley

Mitt Romney

Mike Rounds

Mark Sanford

Fred Thompson

John Thune

NOTA

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: leading 2012 GOP presidential candidates as of early 2009?--May '08 edition  (Read 17376 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« on: May 15, 2008, 07:30:22 PM »

A pattern can be fun and interesting, but it won't apply in 2012.  By then, Huckabee and Romney will be nobodies that are 6 years from the last time they held office.

Like Ronald Reagan in 1980?

Reagan almost unseated the sitting President for the nomination.  Even at the convention it was unclear if anyone planned to bolt for Reagan and give him the nomination.

During that time, Reagan also wrote and spoke extensively to keep his name alive.  As much as I hate to word, Reagan seems to have had a "destiny" that only needed to play itself out as his movement built.  Huckabee and Romney seem more like accidents of the modern political climate, with no real staying power.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 11:29:27 PM »

Yes, I know that Reagan was a "bigger figure" than Romney and Huckabee are now.  The point is that every one of these cases is unique.  In 1996, you could have argued that Dole would break the pattern of "runner up from last time around gets the nod" because he was so old.  In 2008, you could have argued that McCain would break the pattern both because of his age and because of the party base being unsatisfied with him.  But both times, the pattern held.

I don't see why being out of office for six years is a good enough reason to discount the "runner up from last time around gets the nod" this time around.  Why would that be a big factor?  It seems to me that, nowadays, the #1 way to get onto the fast track to top tier status in the primaries is being famous.  Huckabee and Romney are now more famous than Sanford or Crist or Pawlenty or Thune.  Unless one of those folks is tapped by McCain as VP, Huckabee and Romney will still be more famous than them a year from now and two years from now and three years from now, and will have an easier path to top tier status in the 2012 sweepstakes.

You crafted my response in your own... when in doubt, Republicans run to experience.  If Rudy had been a two governor and a Senator, they would have run to him, probably.

The problem that Huckabee and Romney have is that only the modern climate could have seriously justified the candidacy of either of them.  If there had been an obvious, experienced conservative choice in this race, they wouldn't even be footnotes.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies